Hello everyone. Since I'm new to the community, I guess I'll introduce myself by creating a guide for people that are completely new to roleplaying. I'll start with the definition of roleplay and move on to the passive roleplaying part and the general roleplaying part. I've got a larger guide but I'd like to see the current feedback on this guide before I expand it with more information. When you see something that could be improved, please tell me and I will get to it as soon as I can.

What does roleplay mean?

The literal definition of roleplay is to act out the role of a person to understand a differing point of view or social interaction. Basically, you pretend that you're a different person that has their own opinion, feelings, ideals and lifestyle. Perhaps you're a teenager that would love to know how it'd be like to be a police officer. Normally, it'd be a huge hassle because you'd have to request a ride along with a real police officer which will consume a lot of your time, but by roleplaying, you can even step into the shoes of a police officer and experience everything yourself first handed. In the end, it's you that decides what your character does, where he goes and how he thinks. You are completely in control, which is the most enjoyable part of roleplaying!

How do I roleplay?

This is probably the most asked question regarding roleplaying. Roleplaying is actually quite simple. In GTA V and GTA:SA we have two very simple commands which are the building blocks of roleplay itself. One of those two commands is the
/me command
Which is used to describe what your character's doing or how he's reacting to a certain situation. A good example of a /me command would be:
* John Doe steps out of the airport and looks around him, observing the whole area.
As you can see, that was a good way to describe what my character is doing. The trick to be a good roleplay isn't just describing how your character's reacting, it's putting a lot of detail into it. I could make a simple /me command this way:
* John Doe sits on the chair.
However, this is plain and honestly a bit boring. There's a way to spice up your roleplay by making it more detailed like so:
* John Doe bends through his knees and leans backwards, placing his butt on the chair and making himself feel comfortable.
This kind of roleplay is much more detailed and therefore also more enjoyable.Now let's move on to the other command, which is the
/do command
The /do command is used to describe the environment, a certain situation itself or your character!
A good example of a /do command would be:
* John Doe looks about thirty, has green eyes, is rather tall and radiates a warm smile. (( John Doe ))
This is a great example of how to use a /do command to describe your character. This gives the people you roleplay with more information about who they're roleplaying with. Your skin doesn't always give off a clear vibration of how your character actually looks like, which is pretty important when you roleplay! Here's another example of how to use a /do command but instead, we're going to describe our environment:
* The front side of the car has been shattered into a lot of pieces and oil can be seen leaking from the rear of the car. (( John Doe ))

What is passive roleplaying?

Passive roleplaying can be difficult to understand for some people, but in basic English, it simply means that you're roleplaying out of your ordinary habits. If you're a police officer, you will most likely be roleplaying just as a police officer while you, are in fact, still a citizen. You can still go off duty and go take a drink or go to a club to have some fun. The fact that you're a police officer does not mean that you're obliged to roleplay as a police officer at all times. Your character is human and also has his or her needs. Go to a park once in a while or start dating someone, it's all up to you as long as you contribute to passive roleplay! It might seem a little bit boring, but when you have a lot of people contributing to passive roleplay, it'll transform from boring roleplay into a very fun, exciting and challenging roleplay. Following will be a couple of examples that can be used in a passive roleplay situation. I will combine the /me and /do command to properly describe what my character's doing, how he's feeling and in what kind of environment he is.
* John Doe walks around the park, inhaling the fresh air deeply into his lungs and exhaling afterwards.
* John Doe slowly takes a seat on the wooden bench and crosses his legs, smiling as he glances around the park at the birds, flowers and trees.
* There are several oak, elk and maple trees in the park. There's also a bush full of clovers and a botanical garden. (( John Doe ))
* John Doe slings his backpack off of his shoulders and places it on his lap, opening it and taking out a small bottle of water.
* The water bottle is made from blue plastic and has a label on it reading 'Aqua Water'. (( John Doe ))
As you can see, I combined both the /me and the /do command to describe John, the park, his actions and his items. Be creative and soon enough you'll learn the ropes!
  • Keane locked this topic