Mechanic/Auto Shop role-play

liq

As a mech I see both points here. I would love to give it more time, have them leave the car BUT I work a rotating schedule at work.. Some days I go in at 8am others I work til 9pm (and this is gmt -8) So its not really fee sable, leaving the car without vpark would cause issues. Also if this wasn't a server wide rule.. most would go where it's fast. You spend all that on a car you want instant gratification.. So long as the rp is there, it is more beneficial to the server in my eyes to keep it as is. Also I hate to charge realistic labor fees..

• Upvote 1

If you want to be a police officer you've got to learn how American police operate, and the laws we have on the server. Same goes for firefighters. A mechanic is not a "job" it is a profession just like these and while I agree that the RP shouldn't get too technical, people who want to roleplay in a workshop should learn a bit about how vehicles work and how they're serviced. It's not about going out and getting a qualification and obtaining skills, it's about learning the theoretical processes behind it. The same should go for any path your character takes.

Some are great, some are more basic. What you do is up to you, as with everything. If you enjoy someone's roleplay; let them and other people know, because it sends off a wave through the server. Appreciate and promote good role-play, because then the bad apples will eventually fall off the tree, and the good ones will flourish. 

I always try to pick effortful options before less, as long as it doesn't interfere too much with my character's values. 

I really appreciate people researching their stuff. 

Edited by Vince

IF it's possible I would like the option to leave my car at the garage. I know we can just sell the car to a mechanic at the garage, and if they have a script garage (for spawning tow trucks) the car could be placed in there and worked on over the course of time then returned back to the player upon completion.

But with that being said it would need some kind of admin backing in regards to the scamming rule. Unless I'm reading it wrong, players can scam cars up to a certain value. Of course there would be ways to handle it IC'ly but it's more the OOC side that needs protecting if anything.

Apart from that, I'm happy to wait around while someone extensively roleplays working on my vehicle, if that's something that they enjoy then go have your fun, roleplay for as long as you want. As long as I don't have to be somewhere in a short amount of time I'm fine with it tbh.

I would like to see mechanics taking out contracts with PD and FD, I'm not sure if that's already in the works.

I wholeheartedly agree on research and I see nothing countering that aspect. Any kind of role-play environment requires a minimum amount of research else you just can't say you're providing quality role-play without being accurate in what you convey. I personally try to engage most customers that swing by the shop depending on the circumstances at hand.

The time it takes to complete an order depends on the totality of circumstances at hand and mostly on the size of the order and make and model of the vehicle. One other bubble I try to burst is having one character specialized in cars, motorcycles, trucks and you name it as if it were a walk in the park. Another aspect I try to push is Automobile Service Excellence (ASE) certifications which are compulsory in the US and no reputable auto shop worth a dime will hire someone who just picks up a wrench if they aren't either going through education or are educated already. At last, I also offer service warranty within game limitations (I can't do 36k miles like in real life given game dynamics) but I feel like it's going well so far. But waiting periods have been drastically improving ever since because role-play quality has improved and people stopped replacing an engine in 3 emotes and singlehandedly do so. That's not something I wanna see either.

As for fleet management and motorpool contracts, I already touched base with @Big_Smokes on it and concluded PD wants its own fleet management division and their factionized garage script. Apparently so does the FD. It's a little disheartening because I had high hopes for those to work out with contractors so it provides a whole lot more role-play. But maybe that'll be revisited in time.

Script support to somehow attach your car to the garage shop and leave it there for as long as the owner retains powers over it and can take it back whenever if OOC complications appear. Else it's OOC trust based. I'd never scam a car off someone so if you're interested in that, we can chat privately but that's just me and one shop that would be inclined to that.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Looks like we're on the same page for the most part.