Lack of older characters in GTAW.

The "face" thing is a very valid point. My char was in her mid 30s, which isn't really old quite yet, but giving her a face fitting that age-bracket was challenging. Either I went with "no face filter" and she looked in her mid 20s, or I used one of the face/skin modifications and she looked either like she was 95 or like some fucking monster with an atrocious disease that belongs in a zombie movie. 

As for the activities, it's also true they're not really the best for chars who are a tad more mature. My char was a *bit* old for that but still in the right bracket, but for someone over 50 it could be a little odd, unless they're an established personality like a businessman or a club owner. I remember some attempted to offer different sorts of RPs and hubs a long while ago (like over a year), around Vespucci, but they stopped playing for various RL reasons so I'm not sure if there's any equivalent nowadays. 

Edited by Topinambour

My first character on here was a young character, purely because it's convenient. It's arguably much easier to create a story for a character that's in their late teens / early twenties when their life is essentially just starting at that age, rather than have to sit and think about what your forty year old character has been doing with their life and concoct a story for it. It gives a lot of leeway with the direction you want to take on that character, especially when you haven't got anything in mind and you're just going with the flow.

A lot of people make characters specifically for factions and the same applies. It's sometimes asked / required of them to role play a younger character and then develop and grow over a period of time relative to events that happen to your character in game. If I was making a character with an intended purpose and some sort of idea in mind as to what I'm going to be doing with that character (such as joining a faction with it), I'd find it a lot easier to create a character story to suit and thus role play being older.

The word "role" is a very strange denominator to most - all they do is "play" -  in their mind ROLEPLAY means just acting like they are their youtube comment section avatar of their irl selves who can physically move around a virtual world - a lot RP to be from the same country they really are irl as well. Even those who "RP" as older act like trolls or 10 year olds. But on the other hand I totally understand that , people just wanna socialize and have internet friends. When I'm RP'ing older and asked what "hmu,wyd,wym,brb,wtf" means in Facebrowser , I was getting serious OOC questions in return about "You really don't know what that means?!?!?". I get that most of us here are very young and they just want to belong but don't know how.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, Tr1bal said:

The word "role" is a very strange denominator to most - all they do is "play" -  in their mind ROLEPLAY means just acting like they are their youtube comment section avatar of their irl selves who can physically move around a virtual world - a lot RP to be from the same country they really are irl as well. Even those who "RP" as older act like trolls or 10 year olds. But on the other hand I totally understand that , people just wanna socialize and have internet friends. When I'm RP'ing older and asked what "hmu,wyd,wym,brb,wtf" means in Facebrowser , I was getting serious OOC questions in return about "You really don't know what that means?!?!?". I get that most of us here are very young and they just want to belong but don't know how.

I legit got those PMs too, I am just looking for people that are willing to rp older characters with me, I am always open for that. By this one I say, If you interested in more realistic 40 and older rp, just let me know.

It all comes down to the said person to be honest. We all have preferences on what we want to role-play, hell even my character is young, but unlike most people, I'm not having ten vehicles or claim to be a self-made millionaire at the age of twenty. It's just...too much in my eyes, unless you're doing it right and develop.  A lot of people actually portray themselves instead of an actual character and I'm fine with it. Sometimes, you can't really change people or force them to do what should be realistic. I tend to stray away from those people though. Adult role-play could be fun, but to an extent. It's hard to find your role-play environment as an adult character since most of the people are young but surely not impossible. You can always be creative... let's say you host an event about fishing and a lot of young characters show up. You can actually teach them a thing or two about fishing, or tell stories as you're the old and wise one among them. Here's one of the many possbilities on how to blend in with others that are not in your category. It all comes down to your imagination and development, never count on others to spoon you with role-play. 

2 hours ago, SarcasmJoy said:

It all comes down to the said person to be honest. We all have preferences on what we want to role-play, hell even my character is young, but unlike most people, I'm not having ten vehicles or claim to be a self-made millionaire at the age of twenty. It's just...too much in my eyes, unless you're doing it right and develop.  A lot of people actually portray themselves instead of an actual character and I'm fine with it. Sometimes, you can't really change people or force them to do what should be realistic. I tend to stray away from those people though. Adult role-play could be fun, but to an extent. It's hard to find your role-play environment as an adult character since most of the people are young but surely not impossible. You can always be creative... let's say you host an event about fishing and a lot of young characters show up. You can actually teach them a thing or two about fishing, or tell stories as you're the old and wise one among them. Here's one of the many possbilities on how to blend in with others that are not in your category. It all comes down to your imagination and development, never count on others to spoon you with role-play. 

This

On 9/13/2019 at 4:34 PM, The Brotherhood of Steel said:

I've been rping on GTAW for a while now and I've noticed the lack of older and mature characters in GTAW, I only see teenagers and young adults. I even made a character in their mid 40s to see If I could spark some RP with some people but I don't see my character hanging out with younger people, she rather hangs out with people of her own age. My question is; Why do people only RP young and not older? Is it because of the disadvantages that you have? Let me know what you think. ✌️

There is more room and potential to develop a character story.