Lack of older characters in GTAW.

2 hours ago, shaobadman said:

going to assume that some have legitimate reasons for it but others make their characters close to their age because they're not really trying to make a character as much as put themselves (or their ideal selves) into the game

This actually kinda leads us back to this thread: 

• Upvote 1

I do roleplay a 34yo male law abiding citzen but I can see that the server is filled with 20yo fancy cars, racing, weed and partying players. I'm trying very hard to keep up with the character due to the lack of elder people to roleplay with but if it does not work for me and stop giving the joy it is supposed to give I'll stick with a young character like the average player around. But for you guys that roleplay 18-20yo characters, whats the fun about it?

On 9/22/2019 at 3:38 PM, kriss697 said:

a really few people ive seen have actually roleplayed their characters just over aging (idk if that makes any sense but ok) they start off they character late teens/early twenties and slowly start to work their way up to their thirties or forties, most people just want to have their character just be young for whatever reason

I mean, if one desires to be realistic, then one wouldn't have their character gain ten years in a real-time roleplay server, specifically when each IRL day tends to count as an I.C. day.

Edited by DLimit

I'm fairly new around here and at this point, only came across two senior citizens for about 110 hours that I've spent in-game. I personally roleplay somewhat of an older character myself who is in his 40s, and I'm enjoying the narrative thus far.

But I still don't get why left and right I go, there are supermodel female characters with over the knee socks rofl.

• Upvote 1

My character is in her mid-thirties closing in to forty, she is rather wealthy but self made wealthy, by running a business on her own. I do notice what you people wrote, that there is way more 18~30 characters than any above 30.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:32 AM, DLimit said:

I had managed to roleplay as a Jamaican mobster that was in his mid fourties, attempting to guide the hood of Davis towards becoming more respectful with their criminal activity. It was effective, as the younger generations perceived "Ras" to be a very wise "gangsta" that had underwent twenty-five years of imprisonment. Generally, every one flocked to him, as he seemed youthful and wise at the same time.

An effective route would involve functioning as the type of character that GUIDES the youth, functioning as a fatherly or motherly figure rather than as a "friend".

I cannot necessarily explain the method without resorting to writing paragraphs upon paragraphs of information. However, simply put, function as a role-model rather than as one that is separate from the youth. Rather than being an elder that /always/ judges the youth in a dismissive manner, attempt to guide them in an engaging manner.

Street teachers and mentors... Strict but fair.

Also I did notice when my character was behaving more responsibly in the manner of mother people tend to listen more and try to do the right thing and join you as you try to guide them.

Edited by Vash Baldeus
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I RP as Jesse Chiba myself, she's in her late 20s to early 30s and I also have a character that's in her mid 40s on standby. It's hard to find more senior characters around on GTAWorld, and If people would like to RP more senior RP, just PM me. I am looking for people!! Anyways, Just like I said before, I don't see my character hanging out with the youth, It'll look ridiculous. Ontop of that, like I stated before, everyone RPs young because they don't like the disadvantage of being a elder. 

On 9/18/2019 at 5:45 PM, aldo said:

There is more room and potential to develop a character story.

I agree, but lets not use this as a excuse to not roleplay a elder, see it like this, IF your character gets cked or whatever, what's next? Another young character? It'll most likely be a copy & paste character (During my time here on GTAW that's also a HUGE problem, to many people just keep on creating the same character over and over again. It seems like they aren't even open to RP something new which is sorta disappointing) RPing a elder isn't that difficult, If you need any tips, I am open to give you tips, or ask @Caporegime (If he is willing to give tips) I have seen him rping a elder like melting butter on American Pancakes, It's beautiful. ?

Edited by The Brotherhood of Steel
1 hour ago, The Brotherhood of Steel said:

Yeah, I RP as Jesse Chiba myself, she's in her late 20s to early 30s and I also have a character that's in her mid 40s on standby. It's hard to find more senior characters around on GTAWorld, and If people would like to RP more senior RP, just PM me. I am looking for people!! Anyways, Just like I said before, I don't see my character hanging out with the youth, It'll look ridiculous. Ontop of that, like I stated before, everyone RPs young because they don't like the disadvantage of being a elder. 

I agree, but lets not use this as a excuse to not roleplay a elder, see it like this, IF your character gets cked or whatever, what's next? Another young character? It'll most likely be a copy & paste character (During my time here on GTAW that's also a HUGE problem, to many people just keep on creating the same character over and over again. It seems like they aren't even open to RP something new which is sorta disappointing) RPing a elder isn't that difficult, If you need any tips, I am open to give you tips, or ask @Caporegime (If he is willing to give tips) I have seen him rping a elder like melting butter on American Pancakes, It's beautiful. ?

yeah ur right

my char went from 16 and aged through his late teens, early twenties mid twenties and now late twenties (i know it doesn’t make sense but I wanted to age my character haha) so now my main is 29

and my alt is 15 which gives both of them different roles and responsibilities.

i don’t want to talk about MY character anymore as thats going off topic but yeah I hope more people choose the elder route because ur spot on, everyone seems to be a copy paste

I'm in the opinion that best way to progress your character through rp is by aging him over time because it gives him new challenges to face as he gets older. I like to start my characters as teenagers, and then progress them up through the years. A good example would be Rudolph Guerrez. He started as a fifteen year old youth, and is now a twenty-eight year old locked up in Bolingbroke State Penitentiary on drug charges. Things like that allow you to create a narrative with your character, and not continue to do the same time of rp 24/7 constantly.

In the PD, we encourage people to roleplay a certain age when they reach a certain rank. This is obviously done to avoid having Captains that roleplay being 25 years old.

Main issue is that people roleplay being born at a certain year, like me. I roleplay being born in 1982 and started as a Sergeant II (being 35 at the time). I was promoted to the ranks of Lieutenant, followed by Captain at 36 (in character obviously) meaning I would already have to change my DOB or namechange to an older character. 

It is also not very attractive to roleplay an older age as I notice that the legal side of the server is too oriented around nightlife (mainly clubs) & parties and illegal mainly (visibly) around gangs (where the majority is young).

Point is that a lot of players don't have the encouragement to roleplay an older age because of the lack of current roleplay opportunities on the server. Once players create more opportunities that facilitate older people, perhaps the players roleplaying an older character would increase.