Lack of older characters in GTAW.

I've been rping on GTAW for a while now and I've noticed the lack of older and mature characters in GTAW, I only see teenagers and young adults. I even made a character in their mid 40s to see If I could spark some RP with some people but I don't see my character hanging out with younger people, she rather hangs out with people of her own age. My question is; Why do people only RP young and not older? Is it because of the disadvantages that you have? Let me know what you think. ✌️

For some people they like to RP what they'd like to be, or are lacking in their real lives. The server sort of lends itself to young adults with near infinite funds driving fancy cars and going to clubs constantly, which there's nothing inherently wrong with roleplaying but there is a big divide between players choosing to be older adults.

I'd guess most people that are on this server are in their late teens or early twenties, so naturally they'll feel more connected to a character of the same age. Most of the older characters I've seen are pretty much exaggerations of "boomers", either in game or on Facebrowser. And yeah it's funny, but there is a lack of serious middle aged characters.

Just my two cents on the issue, I know I'm guilty of playing young characters too. 

Edited by nwah_
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

Making a character face that looks over the age of 35 is really hard to do successfully. I was lucky enough that I had someone in the community make mine for me. There is also not much to do for older characters, I know a lot of people who stop going to clubs and shit in their late twenties and when 95% of the businesses on this server are being geared towards the nightclub scene, it can get pretty boring.

Also, if your looking to RP with older characters, try to find someone RPing in organized crime. I know the  MobRP, BikerRP and RussianRP communities have plenty of "older" characters.

Edited by Henning
  • Upvote 1

It's the same with the obscene number of 20 year old millionaires driving around Pariahs. The element of realism is discarded for material gratification and I suspect the same goes for age.

The only way older characters are enforced are through specific factions having internal rules which make complete sense, but I presume that a lot of people don't want to play older characters.

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, Vulcar said:

It's the same with the obscene number of 20 year old millionaires driving around Pariahs. The element of realism is discarded for material gratification and I suspect the same goes for age.

The only way older characters are enforced are through specific factions having internal rules which make complete sense, but I presume that a lot of people don't want to play older characters.

Which is pretty upsetting, It would be fun when more people RP a older character.

3 hours ago, Henning said:

Making a character face that looks over the age of 35 is really hard to do successfully. I was lucky enough that I had someone in the community make mine for me. There is also not much to do for older characters, I know a lot of people who stop going to clubs and shit in their late twenties and when 95% of the businesses on this server are being geared towards the nightclub scene, it can get pretty boring.

Also, if your looking to RP with older characters, try to find someone RPing in organized crime. I know the  MobRP, BikerRP and RussianRP communities have plenty of "older" characters.

You've got a good point, but I don't see my female character to RP with a organized crime unless her meeting them is done differently and realistic. ?

4 hours ago, Henning said:

You've hit the nail right on the head! That's actually part of the reason I stopped playing here, I like to RP a character in their mid 50s/60s and in a server where most of the RP happens in illegal or night lifestyle/clubs, it gets really difficult. Firstly, because an older character hanging out with a way younger age group just seems off and the topic of discussion gets really awkward and boring, and secondly there aren't many people who like to RP older characters. The older lifestyle, might I add especially in LA/California/SA resonates usually with secret societies, elitism and business magnates who like to talk business most of the time, or either spend their time in high society or being a socialite.

• Applaud 1

I had managed to roleplay as a Jamaican mobster that was in his mid fourties, attempting to guide the hood of Davis towards becoming more respectful with their criminal activity. It was effective, as the younger generations perceived "Ras" to be a very wise "gangsta" that had underwent twenty-five years of imprisonment. Generally, every one flocked to him, as he seemed youthful and wise at the same time.

An effective route would involve functioning as the type of character that GUIDES the youth, functioning as a fatherly or motherly figure rather than as a "friend".

I cannot necessarily explain the method without resorting to writing paragraphs upon paragraphs of information. However, simply put, function as a role-model rather than as one that is separate from the youth. Rather than being an elder that /always/ judges the youth in a dismissive manner, attempt to guide them in an engaging manner.

Street teachers and mentors... Strict but fair.

Edited by DLimit