Jailtime becomes equivalent to PK

Hugh-Gi-Oh

Simple problem description:

We have to acknowledge IC that jailtimes are only a few hours long, and it directly challenges the idea of fear RP.

Detailed problem description:

Alright, so imagine this: 

You're a witness to a terrible crime, and you flee, on the run. The criminals know your face and will come for you to get rid of the witness. You decide to handle this the lawful way and tell the police, who then start an investigation and arrest the suspects, convicting them for the crimes they've committed. You're finally safe from them. 

Cue to five hours later, jailtime ends, the criminals are free, they PK you aaand all that RP is lost. 

This is what the server rules are now. Of course, people are working on the correctional facility systems and everything, but until then, stuff like this happens. So, I figured, if I get this guy in jail I'll just kinda PK him from my story so that I don't have to worry about that. Makes sense, right? So, I decided to ask an admin what the rules say about this!

ADMINYesterday at 11:56 PM

In terms of rules..

There's nothing against or with the fact of..

Them getting out and then going after you. No violation. They can do that.

Which is why I sometimes hate arresting people.

Arrest. 30 minutes go by. They're out trying to do some other shit.

Hugh-Gi-OhToday at 12:01 AM

Do we have to acknowledge that they're out again?

ADMINToday at 12:01 AM

Yeah.

So, not only is it completely IC for them to get out again and just continue their crimes, but also for us. We have to acknowledge that they're let out of jail a few hours after being convicted for a serious crime! We have to acknowledge IC that the jail system is screwed, and realize that we'll never, ever be safe because criminals are just out again after a couple hours. And what this also implies is that criminals can just as easily acknowledge that there's no consequence to their actions, completely challenging the idea of 'fear RP'! Any threat from PD is completely, entirely gone. Just make sure they don't kill you, and you'll be fine in an hour at least, a day at most. 

Solution:

Make jail time be the equivalent of a PK. 

When you get PKd, the people who are responsible for your death will acknowledge you as someone having died to them

When you get PKd, you forget everything leading up to your death and can't RP knowing anything about it. 

If the killer and the killed ever meet again, they're completely new people to each other, never having met before.

Adapt this to jailtime, and:

When you go to jail, the people who are responsible for your conviction will acknowledge you as being stuck in jail for as long as you realistically are in there. 

When you go to jail, you'll forget everything leading up to your conviction, including the crimes, witnesses and anyone responsible for your conviction, because realistically the person now in jail will be there a whole lot longer.

If the convicted and the people responsible for the conviction meet again, they're new people to eachother, never having met before.

This adds a new degree of 'fear RP' for criminals because personally at least, I don't like getting PKd, PKs just void any of the important character development made in the past which is what RP is all about. It also adds realism to the people responsible for your conviction, because honestly, having to acknowledge that people can get out of jail in a matter of hours changes EVERYTHING. You can never trust PD anymore because even if they are successful, there's simply no point. You'll just have to wait until the criminals find you and kill you. 

• Upvote 1

Kinda stupid, but I get where you're coming from. Personally, if I'm going down for something such as robbery. I know your characters face and ultimately the only thing that could possibly get me arrested is your tattle-tailing, then my main focus will be to take care of loose ends regardless if I'm arrested or not. Criminals who are thrown in jail due to a rat or a snitch don't just obtain amnesia about who snitched on them or the events leading up the crime. They're locked in a little position for 24 hours per day (i.e. jail) and do nothing but think from time to time. As you said people are given jail-times in order to associate with fear RP and deflect crime RP or else it'd be happening constantly. The same goes for the snitching. If you don't wanna deal with the consequences, then don't do it. Or better yet, find a way to relay the information in secrecy in order to secure that victory royale. (not getting PK'ed)

A PK is not the same as amnesia. A PK is the same as death. The events never happened to your character because they died as a consequence, or inthis case, they got months in jail. In this server as a substitute for death, they came up with the ideas of PKs that let the player continue playing his character even after death, just without the events causing said death. I'm suggesting the same rules be applied to jailtime, so that as a substitute for you not being able to play your character anymore for 15 years after an armed robbery, you just forget it and move on still being able to play your character.

After all: 

8 minutes ago, Playboii said:

They're locked in a little position for 24 hours per day (i.e. jail) and do nothing but think from time to time.

This simply isn't true. They're locked up in a little position for about 2 hours and then they're out again doing the exact same stuff. According to the admin, we have to directly acknowledge this, we can't just say "Yeah but actually they were in there longer" because they simply weren't.

27 minutes ago, Hugh-Gi-Oh said:

A PK is not the same as amnesia. A PK is the same as death. The events never happened to your character because they died as a consequence, or in this case, they got months in jail. In this server as a substitute for death, they came up with the ideas of PKs that let the player continue playing his character even after death, just without the events causing said death. I'm suggesting the same rules be applied to jail-time, so that as a substitute for you not being able to play your character anymore for 15 years after an armed robbery, you just forget it and move on still being able to play your character.

After all: 

This simply isn't true. They're locked up in a little position for about 2 hours and then they're out again doing the exact same stuff. According to the admin, we have to directly acknowledge this, we can't just say "Yeah but actually they were in there longer" because they simply weren't.

Enforcing a PK on a Jailed player is power-gaming imho, since the PK has to happen in jail, meaning being killed in Jail. As things go, I don't support this idea because there is no proper manner of how jailed person should be PK'd. I see this suggestion as your personal agenda where you were a victim of such incident, hence I do not support it.

No, that's not what I mean. I don't mean that the person actually dies, I mean that it's treated the same way as a PK, because right now, we have to acknowledge the completely illogical idea that someoneNo, that's not what I mean. I don't mean that the person actually dies, I mean that it's treated the same way as a PK, because right now, we have to acknowledge the completely illogical idea that someone can be out of jail after a few hours no matter how bad the crime they committed was. 

'Cause that's the thing. We actually IC have to acknowledge that this is happening, IC. My solution is not to kill all criminals, but to make sure the criminals don't acknowledge being released in 5 hours, and that the victims don't have to acknowledge the criminals being released in five hours. 

There is a definitive risk to ratting and snitching, yes, but there should also be a winner and a loser at some point. If the snitch successfully gets the criminal imprisoned, they win. If the criminal gets to the snitch before then, the criminal wins. 

This didn't happen to me, no. What did happen to me was that I wanted to do a whole investigation about something to get someone imprisoned, which would further my character development or kill my character if possible(since the people I'd be investigating already have CK rights). So, planning this, I asked the admin, "Hey, if I'm successful, how will this actually work?" and you saw the response.

I understand where you are coming from, especially as there still isn't an active prison / department of corrections. If there were, then depending on your character you could (arrange) to have the prisoner killed in prison. However with prison / jail being a passive activity in it's current state, it automatically creates the issue that you are describing.

Do I get where you are coming from? Of course, because it can be very frustrating when your roleplay is negatively influenced. However that is also a part of serious roleplay. I do however believe this topic once again emphasizes how important it is that prison roleplay becomes a functional aspect of the server with a good working Department of Corrections.

IF a criminal decides to go and kill a rat after his jail term is done then he fully acknowledges the length of said jail term and should RP aging up accordance with the crime severity(And stay on that age until further aging up). If not then he has no right to act as being a same aged person and kill the rat. If they do you can report them

It would be amazing if there was an actual prison so more time could be added and there could be actual prison roleplay etc. That would give the police some teeth when it comes to enforcing things. I hear you that the way it stands right now means that there isnt enough fear not to break the law but I cant see how else it can be unless an actual prison/prisoner setup is introduced. It would be abit weird to goto jail and not know why or who put you there ?‍♂️?

12 hours ago, Hugh-Gi-Oh said:

Even if so, my point is still valid.

9 hours ago, BinaryRun said:

I do however believe this topic once again emphasizes how important it is that prison roleplay becomes a functional aspect of the server with a good working Department of Corrections.

Some things aren't perfect. But to say that you completely forget someone when he/she is arrested is a stretch, if anything it's the opposite. Snitching in the real world when it comes to serious crime usually results in death or serious harm if the opportunity arrises.

I do agree that the server down the line should definitely have a proper correctional facility put in place but for the time being I really don't see it being that much of a deal. Most people like to role-play their time in a realistic manner (even though it's only hours in real life) to a certain extent. If that's something the server was interested in, maybe making prison times a little longer could help the fear of going to prison in the first place.

• mj2002 locked this topic