[Saints News] What Is Depression? Identifying The Signs, And How To Cope.

luna~

YhJydCu.png

Image result for depression art

What Is Depression?

Identifying The Signs, And How To Cope.

By Miia R. Novak, Psy.D

In today’s world, the hustle and bustle of everyday life is very much a common sight to everyone. However, amongst the stores, the towering skyscrapers that dominate the skyline and the raving nightclubs and their music echoing through the city - is another common, yet often overlooked and more serious sort of hustle. Depression. We’ve probably all witnessed it in some form or another. Friends, family and loved ones - or yourself.

Depression is common. It’s mean, and it’s a nasty beast that lurks in the shadow of many minds. There are a few types that can be diagnosed and have various characteristics that differ from one another. However, depression in itself is without a doubt, serious. According to statistics and research, one in six people will suffer a mild depressive episode at some stage in their life. Be it seasonal, following a form of loss in ones’ life, or the ‘blues’ - all of which can be mild, but depression nevertheless. In other words, it’s common. We will probably all experience it at one point in our lives. If that is not bad enough, it’s also got its much scarier brother - major depression - which, despite its simplistic title is not simplistic in nature. According to statistics it is estimated to affect 16.2 million adults within the United States alone. Not the nicest bunch to come across.

In my line of work, I’ve come across all sorts of issues relating to the mind. Depression is one of the more common cases I’ve had to deal with. Many people are afraid to speak to someone about it, whether that's because they feel like they’d be looked down upon, due to the social stigma that surrounds therapy, or believe it’s only a mild case of ‘feeling down’ and let it slip by them unnoticed until it’s too late, being too heavy to bear and causes the person to spiral more. Those that do seek therapy however, understand the lurking dangers of untreated depression and wish to quash it before it consumes and overcomes them. It’s when you feel that your recent grief or sadness prolongs more than you expect it to - Speak to someone. There are people out there who want to help.

Sadness and grief are typical, normal human emotions. Everyone, from blue-collar workers to police officers, to restaurant owners, and even psychologists like myself - all exhibit these feelings from time to time for a period in our life. It’s natural. However, major depression or a depressive disorder is something a lot more serious. It’s something that should not be ignored. Depression is diagnosable, and classified as a mood disorder - often done so once a threshold has been met by a health professional when long-lasting symptoms are recognized. The symptoms associated should not be ignored and are typically associated with such a drastic shift in mood. Start noticing these signs, be concerned and speak to a professional.

What are the signs of depression?

When it comes to depression, the signs can differ but the most common and solid signs that show there might be more going on is as follows;

From a psychological view-point;

• Loss of interest or pleasure in your usual activities.
  • Recurring thoughts, typically unpleasant ones. Often are thoughts about guilt or unworthiness.
  • Ineffective thinking, poor concentration when making decisions or planning. Often means it gets more difficult to figure out problems and sorting them.
  • Feeling miserable. The feeling of misery is present throughout your day but can vary in intensity. Typically, this feeling lasts for weeks, even longer.

From a physical view-point;

• Loss of appetite. Excessive weight loss is often associated with this.
  • Fatigue/Loss of energy, even if you may not be physically active.
  • Loss of sleep, despite feeling exhausted. If sleep is possible, may often be unsatisfying, or restless. However, over-sleeping is also possible.
  • Your speech may be slowed, as well as physical movement. Almost sluggish.

All of these signs may serve as a sign of depression. Typically, when health professionals are diagnosing patients - the patient must exhibit at least five of the symptoms before they are considered to be diagnosed with suffering a depressive disorder. Depending on the severity of the symptoms, it may be pursued further. 

If those are the signs, then what causes them? What causes depression?

This is a question that many mental-health professionals are baffled over. The causes of depression are quite unknown as to what triggers it. There is a genetic factor, as seen with depression running in families - as do other mood disorders. Stressful events in one’s life is also a contributing factor. It can cause a relapse into depression. Environmental and social stressors, such as bullying or financial difficulties can also cause an episode. As I mentioned earlier, loss of someone or something in one’s life tots up the toll when it comes to such moments in their life. It’s why depression is such a scary, hidden beast that at any point in one’s life - can dawn on them, and strike.

I’ve seen the signs, and I understand what can cause depression - so how do I deal with it?

When it comes to depression, health professionals take the approach of dealing with it very carefully. There are a few methods in which are used, many often in conjunction with one another for better results. Primarily what is used is an option called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, or CBT for short. This is a field in which a lot of my work is based on when working with the public. It is often recommended if the depression is mild, moderate or severe - and that the patient has had a positive response to a prior CBT session. Antidepressant medication is often a method put on the table, however, naturally enough - people are wary when it comes to unknown medication and usually opt for CBT and therapy sessions at first before attempting medication. In extreme, but often rare cases Electroconvulsive Therapy is also an option. This, however, is only ever a method pushed forward if the patient is indeed in very, very bad shape. It’s often reserved for when previous methods don’t yield a satisfying result for the patient. These approaches are normally done once you have been diagnosed by a professional.

However, the most important method is educating yourself on depression, and coping strategies that can help quash such feelings, to begin with. This can be done with a professional, such as a psychologist like myself - who will guide you on how to cope, should one seek help. However, not all of that needs to be done with a professional at all. You can start at home if you feel any of the indicators. Educating yourself on that could be with a plethora of options. A key ‘feature’ of depression is inactivity. Find yourself a hobby you always wanted to do. Cycling? Why not dust off the old bike and go for a cycle! Swimming? Get those trunks and bikini out of the bottom of the drawer and go to the pool. Want to see that love-flick movie showing at the cinema? Grab a few friends, and get a super-large popcorn and watch it together. Setting goals for activities is a good way to start. Keeping the mind busy is a small step. Catching what you believe might be a more underlying serious problem like depression early, just might save you. 

I feel down, do you think it could be depression? What should I do?

If you believe you might have a case of depression, and negative thoughts cloud your mind there are a few ways you can go about to try to quash what could be the underlying problem. 

When it comes to unpleasant, negative thoughts you can follow several strategies to give your mind a balanced view, such as;

• Keep a record of the small, pleasant things that happen. It may seem silly, however, it does work. Discuss these events with your friends next time you seem them. It solidifies the mind.
  • Recall pleasant occasions from your past, or even plan for ones in the future. This could be a childhood memory or going for a hike with your best friend tomorrow morning.
  • List your best features and qualities. Best to make it out with a friend, someone who knows you for who you are.
  • Avoid doing nothing. Keep yourself busy, and active. Turn on the radio and play music whilst dancing around the living room. Anything to avoid inactivity.

When it comes to inefficient thinking, and lack of sleep there are a few ways you can also go about helping that, such as;

• Choose a solution you think might fit best for that situation; taking the time to figure it out and stress-free thinking. Plan exactly the steps you would take inputting the solution into action. Then, review your efforts. Praise them if they work, if unsuccessful, brush it off and retry again. 
  • For sleep, relaxation exercises are a good start. Reduce tea and coffee intake if it is more on the excessive side. Three cups a day is plenty. More natural tea is better. Do not lie idle in bed for more than thirty minutes. If you are lying awake, thrashing about, leap out of bed and find an activity that’ll put your mind at ease. Like catching up on a TV series, or walking the dog.

I think I may be suffering. I wish to speak to someone about it. What do I do?

If you do indeed feel like you’re suffering, and wish to speak to someone about it. The best start would be to visit a mental health professional who deals with such cases. There are a few private therapists in the city that offer these services. Those can be quite costly, depending on the therapist. Then there are public health professionals like myself - who work for the public, via hospitals and state departments. Due to being a service to the public, the costs are covered by your health insurance. Both approaches for either therapist are fine, both have their ups and downs.

I am one of those who work on behalf of the state and public, if you do feel down and wish to speak to someone, contacting your nearest hospital or clinic is a viable way to reach me. 

You may also contact me through my work phone @ 1363468 or by email - [email protected].

This article contains sponsored multimedia advertisements. This has not affected the content of this article.

Saints News

#ForSaintsBySaints

saints-acc.png

heGiXHN.png

• Upvote 8
  • Applaud 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic
  • 2 years later...

Thanks for this important post! I've personally experienced the impact of depression, and it's something that shouldn't be ignored. It's more common than we think, and seeking help is crucial. Educating yourself about depression and learning coping strategies can be a great starting point. Also, my therapist suggested I use prayer for depression, and it works as well. So, if any of you suffer from it, don't hesitate to get help.

Edited by TerenceHuff
  • Upvote 1