[Saints News] Interview With Mayor Rockford - Unedited Transcript

borhoi

YhJydCu.png

Interview With Mayor Rockford - Unedited Transcript 

By Haley Niamh Connor

This is the full, unedited transcript of my interview with Mayor Rockford today.
HC is myself, Haley Connor. VR is the Mayor, Vincent Rockford. KJ is Kalani Jamil, CEO of Saints News.

HC: Shall we get to it then?

VR: Ah, I was hoping to ask you about your day.

:Audible chuckle from Mayor Rockford:

VR: Very well, I believe you have a lot of questions.

HC: Grand. Section 36b of the city charter was used as justification to enact the LSBC. I'd like to ask two things here. A - What about this is limited in any way? B - How was the lack of a business code a critical issue facing Los Santos?

VR: Let's begin with B. The lack of a codified approach to licensing was hampering the growth of the tertiary sector of our economy. That's the quote. As to the specifics (pause) Given the fact we are expected to protect the consumer within the City of Los Santos, we can not abandon our licensing efforts altogether in a laissez-faire attempt at a closed-cycle free market utopia. However, we can make them more transparent and accessible. That's why we've organized and presented the entire process of becoming a licensed enterpreneur in the City of Los Santos in the form of a business code.

HC: I see you're listing the supposed 'pros' of the law, but it still doesn't answer how this was a critical issue needin'ta be addressed. This couldn't have waited until a city council is formed?

VR: The first quote is the critical issue to be dealt with. Hampered growth of the tertiary sector.

HC: An example of this?

VR: A study conducted by our administration?

HC: And would that study be released to be read by the public if requested?

VR: I don't see a reason why it wouldn't. Would you like to know more about the method of the study?

HC: I'd rather move on to the first part of my question.

VR: Very well. Well, the limitation is the existence of a City Council, of course. Also, the limitation is the review of all the laws.

HC: That's not how the law reads, Mister Rockford. It's clear that the intention is to grant the Mayor's Office limited legislative power to address crises that may arise in the absence of a city council. You don't interpret it that way?

VR: So you'd like to know the limitations of the "critical issue" part of the rule.

HC: I'd like to know how enactin' the LSBC is use of 'limited legislative power'. This is a large, all encompassin' set of regulations.

VR: It's limited, as in I can not, for example, enact any law that would require anything beyond a simple majority - which is a plethora of acts.  As per the City Charter.

HC: We'll move on. I wrote in my piece and many have agreed that sections 501 and 502 are unconstitutional. Stanton-Kerrigan brought this up in their Complaint and this was in no way argued against by Justice Rhodes. You're familiar with the fourth amendment, I'd assume. How would you, having read the plain text of these sections, respond to those who call the scope of these searches able to be conducted by the Department of Finance unconstitutional?

VR: I'm afraid I cannot answer this question at the moment.

HC: Would you not consider the provisions outlined in 501 and 502 to be in violation of the fourth amendment, though? Or is that not somethin' that you can answer?

VR: Ah, I don't think I am in the position to speak about the legal nuance of this particular case.

HC: It's not about the case. It's about the constitutionality of a law enacted by your administration, with all due respect.

VR: I believe it is the Supreme Court that determines what is or is not constitutional, Miss Connor.

HC: Sure. Some would say it's simply a matter of time before sections 501 and 502 are utilized and another case is brought forth with proper grounds for judicial action though. Are you confident that these specific sections will hold up in the face of an argument over their constitutionality then? Your personal opinion.

VR: I believe the fact that my signature is on it speaks for itself.

HC: Is this document one that will be altered? Adjusted?

VR: I don't have any plans to do so. Naturally, it can be altered in the future.

HC: So this Civil Complaint having been brought against the code doesn't alter your administration's views on the code at all? Will there be future deliberation? Consultation with the business community in the city and state by your administration?

VR: I'm afraid that at the moment we are dealing with a subjective interpretation of the provisions of the code. As to consultation with the business community - of course.

HC:  Why was this not done before the law was enacted?

VR: We are happy to work with the businessowners to address their concerns. We've been surveying the business owners during interactions with the licensing officials.

HC: Speak on the character and objectivity of Director of the Department of Finance Leon French. The LSBC gives him and his department immense power over all business in San Andreas. What make him trustworthy enough to wield all this power appropriately?

VR: Analysis of the provisions of the code assuming the current administration is the only administration is (pause) odd. It is precisely the fact that our laws are to represent the continuity of power with the election cycle in full swing. (pause) Why they rely on the charter checks and balances.

HC: But they don't at this juncture.

VR: They do, just not in the elected capacity. We're ultimately still under limitations per the charter.
HC: Are we truly in an election cycle? I report the news for a livin' and I've seen nothin' of the such.

VR: At the moment? We're in full swing to build sufficient district infrastructure for the elections to happen. Not only the actual voting stations, but also district offices.

HC: Right, but that could take ages. Let me simplify this and be blunt. Sure, you're technically under a check per the charter. But that check isn't effective right now. Do you believe that with that considered, responsibility falls to your administration to only enact laws that are truly critical and small-scale to address crises?

VR: I disagree with the premise of the check being ineffective.
HC: How is it effective currently?

VR: Which official isn't held responsible and can't be dismissed?

HC:  By whom? You put this law into action via Executive Directive under 36b. There is no city council to review it and we've no idea when there will be. The law itself gives... startling - to say the least - power over businesses to the Department of Finance. If the law is unjust, who's to decide that when no city council exists to execute the check you believe to be effective?

VR: That's your interpretation of the law, Miss Connor. Is this a trick question?

HC: In no way. There is no city council. Who's executing the check?

VR: City Council doesn't determine what's just or unjust.

HC:  They have power to review legislation passed under 36b.

VR: At the moment, the State is executing the check.  Our city charter and our licensing powers stem directly from the State Constitution. Hence, until the City Council is in order, that fact is the State check on our power.

HC: When's the last time we've heard from the Governor, though? Or of him?

VR: That would be last week.

HC: Simple two questions to conclude here. Do you value transparency?

VR: Full transparency.

HC: Some would say your bulletin isn't sufficient. Does your administration in tandem with the Department of Finance plan to put forth documents regarding the city's revenue, spending, et cetera? Transparency bein' the objective.

VR: We maintain quarterly budget request and report information available upon request. Should this become a commonly requested document, we will include it as a default. At the moment, I'm afraid it has been requested only once.

HC: I think that's grand. Truly. Final question and I'll be out of your hair. If you could sum up your philosophy as a leader, what would you say?

VR:  I'm afraid I'm a public servant, Miss Connor.

HC: It's undeniable that as Mayor you lead. Your administration.

VR: If it is a philosophy, ultimately, the manager of the city.

:Audible laugh from Rockford:

VR: Ah, I think it's currently faux pas to be a manager, and not a leader.

HC: I reserve my thoughts.

HC: My philosophy is simple - develop Los Santos, and address the concerns of the citizens in the most effective manner. And since addressing the citizen's concerns is the only real way to develop Los Santos...

KJ: I have one, if that's okay.

VR: Ah, why not? I can't wait for my words to be taken apart.

KJ: I feel that there's a very real aspiration for liberty in the city, of course, being ruled over appointed, what could only be defined 'literally' as autocrats at the city level has grown that hunger even more - when do you envision the point in which you could call for elections? It's almost beginning to remind me of the 'no taxation without representation' argument.

VR: We're appointed by the State, who you are represented in. I think that (pause) removes the premise of your question.

KJ: So you won't call for elections?

VR: We will. I just don't think the phrasing of the question has merit.

KJ: Let me rephrase it, then - when will you call for elections?

VR: As soon as possible.

This article contains sponsored multimedia advertisements. This has not affected the content of this article.

saints-acc.png

ZtuoQ4p.png

• Upvote 2

Username: GraysonX

Comment: I was looking forward to an informative discussion about the issue, but all I read was a desperate attempt to make the current mayor look bad so that you could float yourself as a contender in the next election. This is why we should never trust the media people... SNAKES ALL OF THEM!

Username: HNConnor

Comment: RE: GraysonX - I'd encourage you to reread the transcript. The questions posed pertained to the business code and its legality, which is the subject both the Mayor's Office and myself knew the discussion would center on. This is an uncut transcript. I've inserted no opinion of my own. If you'd like to judge my own opinions, I will be releasing an analysis of the interview later today.

Name: Anon

Comment: Haley was okay before she became a robotic activist who can’t even let a person engage in small talk before she bombards them with questions that have little importance to anyone but herself. This is far from a diplomatic personality, this is more of a power-seeking journalist. People can smell bullshit when it’s been lingering around for too long. 

Edited by Law
5 hours ago, UTOPIA said:

Username: McDonaldsRepublican

Comment: To heck with Rockford, vote Dean Bell for fast food restaurant reform.

Username: CapitalReno

Comment: Go on....

• mj2002 locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic