[Saints News] Hales Tales Review - Pipe Down

borhoi

YhJydCu.png

hqDL4Ai.png

Hales Tales Review: Pipe Down

By Haley Niamh Connor

At the time I started writing Hales Tales, which wasn't long ago, the main gripe I had with the entertainment scene in LS was its lack of variety. We had a few bars, all the same. We had too many clubs - once again, all the same. I hoped that writing about it would shed some light on the proverbial drought of creativity LS's nightlife scene was stuck in. I guess times can change quickly and with them my own opinions. I'd say as of today, the club scene in LS is nearly irrelevant for those who don't wish to participate. There are so many more options right now than there have ever been for the duration of my time in LS. Pipe Down in Vinewood is another shining example of it, and it's an example of it done right.

I'm a cigar smoker. Have been for quite a long time, and it surprises people when they find out. I enjoy it as a bit of a hobby. Trying out new brands, collecting and aging. It's all fun for me. It pairs well with my well-documented love for whiskey. So, I was scrolling through FaceBrowser today (August 17) and I saw an ad for Pipe Down. It advertised cigars, then whiskey. If I said my first thought was, "I need to review this place.", I'd be lying. I genuinely wanted to go check it out. So much so in fact that I almost forgot my camera on the way out the door. Luckily I didn't, because the interior is lovely.

zazgyQT.png

The ambiance speaks for itself. I don't have to say much for you, my dear and beloved reader, to get a feel for the place. It screams lounge. Relaxation. Low-key. From the moment I walked in till the moment I left, I was at ease. The classic music playing at a pleasant volume in the background added another layer of class and atmosphere. Pipe Down knows what it's going for aesthetically, and the execution is nearly flawless. My only personal gripe is the lack of a dress code. I spoke to the owner about it though, and she made a good point. Enforcing a dress code is hard, for one. This leads to unneeded animosity. And also, Pipe down wishes to be open and available for everyone to enjoy. I couldn't disagree with her. I tried.

After snapping a few pictures of the interior I hit the bar and asked for their whiskey list. I planned to smoke a Perla del Mar cigar. Luckily, they stocked them. It's a box-pressed stick with an Ecuadorian Connecticut style wrapping. The tobacco under the wrappers is Nicaraguan, a blend of leaves from four different regions of the country. It's a medium-strength cigar, and my go-to when hitting cigar bars. It pairs well with a smooth scotch, sans peat. I prefer my scotch without peat, and I'm not trying to prove anything by smoking an overly strong cigar. The Glenlivet 12 I ordered paired perfectly with the cigar. I was in heaven.

7zsY72N.png

As I enjoyed my cigar and drink I sat down with co-owner Diana Fielmich and chatted about a great many things, but primarily the business itself. I asked her why her partner and herself chose to open a cigar lounge, why that was the niche they decided to occupy. She replied, "Well it's what this city was missing. There was no such thing. All we had were bars and nightclubs. No place where you could enjoy a good cigar with some fine whiskey while some classics play."

She was right. There really isn't a spot in LS that fills the niche Pipe Down is now occupying. I may be biased, but I'd say it's needed. Relaxation can be just as much fun in the entertainment industry as raging parties. For my money, Pipe Down is offering something fun, unique, and wholly enjoyable. The spot receives the biggest recommendation I can give. If this isn't your vibe, go try it. Have a cigar and drink, and relax. I think you'll enjoy it.

The opinions expressed in this piece do not reflect the opinions of Saints News as a whole, but those of its author Haley Niamh Connor.

This article contains sponsored multimedia advertisements. This has not affected the content of this article.

saints-acc.png

ZtuoQ4p.png

Edited by borhoi
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic