Mechanical VS Membrane keyboards.

ShangTakashi

Hello there fellow experienced gamers, I'd like to discuss this topic today to do a fair comparison between the two types of keyboards vastly available worldwide. I'd like to hear your points about the advantages and dis-advantages of using these two types, and I'm sure comparing them would be a good idea. I myself have been stuck with membrane keyboards for over 8 years now and I finally think it's the best if I upgrade to a mechanical. I'd really love some advise on this, such as what's the best starter mechanical keyboard and such! Any help is appreciated, a comparison would be the best. Thanks!

Edited by SHANG.

Imo if you're gonna spend over 100$ for a mechanical keyboard it's not worth the money

What's the difference? Pressure force and the sound it gives off.

Advantages and disadvantages?

You'll get less tired with a mechanical keyboard

If you're really going to buy a mechanical keyboard i'd advise you to wait on some sales and snipe a good one that's under 100$

Edit : And if you're really going for it and you don't know which MX Switch you have to go for i'd advise you to go to a store where they got a few mechanical keyboards on exposition and try them all out

Red Cherry MXs have a linear pressure when you press on them, meaning that when you tap on it it'll just go down ( idk how to explain it )

Brown's have a tactical feedback meaning that you will feel a click on your fingers when you reach a certain point

Blue's are just plain annoying but eargasms for others, and it's  similar to red ( just makes more noise )

OFc there are plenty of others switches but those are the most common ones

Edited by Rin

From the time I switched to mechanical, I never wanted to go back to membrane. Although my laptop at work is membrane. But I much prefer my mechanical keyboard at home. I make less mistakes when typing, because of the feedback from the switch as well as the actual shape of the keys. It's also faster, because you don't have to fully actuate the key to get a key stroke. So once you get used to it, subconsciously while you're pressing one key, you can actually start pressing down on the following key to register it after. Kind of hard to explain. But once you get one you'll understand.

I currently use a Logitech G610 Orion Brown and had a Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown before. I prefer the Cherry MX Brown because it's not as loud if you don't bottom out your keys (but it's definitely not silent either) and still gives you tactile feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a mechanical keyboard before and frankly I don’t notice any difference in terms of typing or key response. 

A mechanical keyboard is definitely louder than a membrane one and I prefer the latter due to my house having quite thin walls. Currently I’m running a Corsair membrane keyboard (I believe it’s the K55 although I might be wrong.)

To the person who said cherry blues are similar to red, they're nothing alike. Don't get a red switch expecting it to be similar to blue. Blues require more force to push down and are louder. Reds are generally quiet and very light to press. 

Each switch is fairly unique. You can look up videos on YouTube to hear how each switch sounds to get a general idea.

If you're still using a membrane keyboard, invest in a mechanical keyboard. Don't cheap out on one either. Turn on your brain, do your research and once you're ready just grab one from a reputable brand. A site i'd recommend is mechanicalkeyboards.

Edited by 1357