Concise Actions, Stronger Words & More

liq

28 minutes ago, CloutToken said:

this guide gives good advice that people should actually take into consideration though, this isnt about the "mindset of other servers"

I know and that's what is wrong with it. I said it on other communities and I will say it again. Everyone has its own style of rp. It doesn't exist a good example or bad example as long as the other party understands and doesn't complain. People took the purpose of the guide wrong and ended up doing /me socks X and just straight going for the hit instead of waiting for the other party to respond. It's mostly used by illegal roleplayers as far as I can tell and no wonder illegal rp nowadays is just bad. I'm glad it's actually somehow strict here. What I do think it's good is a balance between both detailed and short /me. It really depends on the scenario.

57 minutes ago, Invictus said:

I know and that's what is wrong with it. I said it on other communities and I will say it again. Everyone has its own style of rp. It doesn't exist a good example or bad example as long as the other party understands and doesn't complain. People took the purpose of the guide wrong and ended up doing /me socks X and just straight going for the hit instead of waiting for the other party to respond. It's mostly used by illegal roleplayers as far as I can tell and no wonder illegal rp nowadays is just bad. I'm glad it's actually somehow strict here. What I do think it's good is a balance between both detailed and short /me. It really depends on the scenario.

Again, nothing about long RP lines make you look like a good RPer, and if anything, it just shows that you're trying too hard. However, a few details here and there aren't bad however when it's appropriate, of course. That's just me though. 

Edited by CloutToken
  • Upvote 1

Hi. I see this topic blew up a little in regards to other communities this guide's been posted on and publicly acclaimed and followed so I'll be posting one reply to address the whole thing. I didn't post this to divide the server or bring in any standard from anywhere to here. I posted this given demand in my grammar and emotes guide, and both guides are recommendations I make after playing around here for a while and seeing how the general population role-plays.

@Invictus — I think you're making a mistake by classifying concise actions/emotes with poor quality role-play. Someone who types out an action as simple as /me socks X. and then proceeds to punch said player is not only guilty of borderline power-gaming but also poor quality role-play. What the guide suggests is to make actions concise with necessary description, however taking unnecessary details and redundancy out of the way. It paves the way for a middle ground between the two where proper grammar and usage of emote commands match with concise actions and stronger words.

With all of this being said, it doesn't mean you need to follow the guide. But I and people I know and people I respect as role-players usually role-play this way. There's no problem with being detailed in your role-play for as long as you do not provide unnecessary details which serve no purpose to the task at hand, or are otherwise redundant to what you are expressing. I personally distaste role-players who put too much detail in their emotes to the point where they are dictating interpretation and are literally telling instead of showing to the bread crumb of what they expressed, and that's no fun to me. If you don't feel the same way then that's no problem and we'll agree to disagree. But, please don't fill my topic with snarky remarks and silly replies.

Hope this clears up some of the stigma some have showed.

Edited by liq
  • Upvote 2

This guide's quite interesting because it touches on a lot of things regarding how people RP and emote (/me) that I've thought about in my years of RPing.

People mentioning that it's some specific mindset from another server are a bit out of touch in my opinion. This is a subject in RP that extends way beyond GTA RP. Every RP community from GTAW to World of Warcraft has their thoughts towards overly verbose role play with unnecessary detail and vice versa with barebones, straight to the point emotes, etc, etc. This guide isn't some specific mindset, it's literally just someone's preference towards the approach of role play.

I used to be one of the people who would add in detail to my emotes just for the purpose of making it look fancy because I come from the MMO scene of RP where people - in my experience - tend to generally be a bit more in-depth with their descriptions than what I've seen on GTA and so I followed in the footsteps of the people I RP'd around as most of us actually do. Does that make them better role-players? No. Maybe better writers but a good writer doesn't correlate to a good role-player. Luckily for me, that over-the-top style of RP drained my enjoyment for role play overall and I changed my style of RP to rekindle the fun. 

In my own experience and having seen how others like to emote and describe objects and actions, it's really all just simply subjective. It's a preference and one people develop through those they RP with (typically if they're somewhat new to RP). I find myself agreeing with parts of the guide and disagreeing with other aspects of it. It's a very good guide and something I think that would help those that are past the beginner stage of RP and slowly trying to find their own style of role-play/writing. 

So, my TL;DR is relative to this guide, there is no right or wrong way to RP. Just RP the way you enjoy the most, don't feel pressured to appease people who dislike overly verbose descriptions or vice versa. RP to your own preference. 

• Upvote 1