The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

The discussion is a bit too long so I haven't had chance to read most of pages two and three, but here's some of my thoughts!

3 hours ago, Carlos said:

I came back to playing on this server for the first time in a year a few days ago, but there's always been something in regards to police which seems lacking. It might be because I haven't been back for too long or it might be because that's just how it is, but police need to interact more with the players and create more RP situations and approach people more often instead of sitting by Mirror Park waiting for something to happen.

It's a two-way street, obviously - we as civilians can do a lot, but so can the PD. 

Where I live (And most likely everywhere else) police sometimes have a planned day (or week, depends on what's going on in the country) where there is a bigger number of units out and they form a line or just sit in more places than usual, to breathalyze people. You could do it, too. 

Have more "PD must do this and this at least XYZ times per week/month etc" events. These could be breath tests for alcohol or drugs, checking on businesses to make sure they are all working well without issues and there's nothing illegal going on, checking on licenses of individuals and businesses (even if they seem to be driving RPly and all's fine). 

There are a million things PD could do, but the ones I mentioned are just from the top of my head. Do it for the sake of RP. You might not find any issues with anyone for weeks, but the fact that police are out there and "keeping an eye on us" and RPing makes it more fun imo. Try to also spread out - drive through cities, but also countrysides. Make it look like PD is actually active and doesn't just sit by hotspots or in the empty Mirror Park for hours. 

Just my 2 cents

Interestingly the first suggestion on this page, by @Carlos, mentions more involvement with the people and events. It's the same for us in the LSFD, this is probably our number one suggestion and I love it. And as Director of PR, this is something I want to do! More 'things going on' for people to interact with. Coming across a handful of foot patrol officers in the street will always be nice, and having them showing 'force' in numbers also. How-ever when it comes to organising these things and manpower; I'm not sure about the LSPD, but for us in the LSFD actually managing events and public occasions is very hard due to having real lives and the time we do spend working on FD is often occupied by dealing with Gun Shot Wounds which entirely deplete our resources of available staff.

One thing I'm not sure about but does LSPD have civilians working for MRCAD, and what's the recruitment for that like? I'm told people generally find PR boring, but managing events, taking photos and talking to the public (among other things) sounds fun to me! 

3 hours ago, Big_Smokes said:

The problem for us in hosting events is scheduling. It all revolves around scheduling. Only a tiny fraction of our department (let's say 5%) is actually a part of our Media Relations and Community Affairs Division. This division, MRCAD, is the one responsible for hosting and organizing events. Our bureaus (Especially Operations) sometimes hosts events but these are more internal and specifically aimed at faction members.

The reason we have issues with scheduling our events is that MRCAD has the responsibility to oversee them and with it's small size, doesn't always have sufficient manpower to properly host events. Thus most of our events revolve around either special dates in the United States (We had a christmas party at our police bar, a 4th of July party, etcetera) and around problems that are currently recognized social (or other) issues in the community or in the real world (such as our Breast Cancer Awareness carwash we did with the LSFD a few months ago). Truth be told, the majority of our command staff is always involved in the brain storming process of these events but we've found that we don't want to continue recycling old ideas, in that sense we are more committed with trying out new things. I realize however that from a community standpoint this might be different. You might not always be online during a certain event we're hosting so to you it might not be repetition at all.

I'll make sure to speak to MRCAD about the more regular hosting of basic events. I think you caught on  to something there and I'll see if it is tenable for them to start doing so more.

Be sure to hit me up @Cascade! I may be a little inactive lately but I can forward it to the PR team to try and get some FD to join in and help with organising. 

3 hours ago, Cascade said:

I run the MRCAD division Smokey mentioned above and we have patrol that are geared for interacting and chatting with you guys around the city, checking in with businesses etc, You likely seen a couple of them on bikes at the beach party at the weekend. I have some ideas in place that will make this more of an active RP experience for you guys and hopefully this will help what a couple of you guys have said. I'll look into this today.

As for walking into coffee shops etc. Something I like to do when we are not too busy (and when my partner doesn't randomly tells me that he suddenly doesn't like tacos! Booker!)  Hills and Minnie do a great job interacting with people (plus points attempting to spell that name btw!) . 

I love the idea of cycle teams. 

1 hour ago, zaXer. said:

The second thing is, again, a very talked over topic, robocops. I've been in PD for over 2 years on LSRP and it was the same issue there. The amount of police officers who portray their situations properly is too low, the inner personal feelings, the feel of being worried about someone, upset, etc, is way too low. I know there are police officers IRL who are gonna ticket you for the smallest things as well, but the percentage here is a bit too high.

It kind of turns like FD, where 70% of the cars driven are Grangers instead of fire trucks and ambulances, in PD now you see half the staff driving black cruisers rather than white and black. The portrayal is just generally wrong, in my opinion.

One of my problems with LSFD, and LSPD, is the robotic feel. But it tends to happen because we feel forced to 'just get it over and done with' when we're handling a large number of roleplay scenarios which seem very repetitive and poorly done, such as Gun Shot Wounds and people dying as a result.

When I first started; my first 'DoA' was devastating for my character, Chloe, it was the loss of Sgt Taylor Brown in a TC. I really went into roleplaying the personal feelings for a few weeks, but after declaring so many people deceased (often those characters I then see again) I developed this 'no longer bothered' feel. And I think it's the same for LSPD, after dealing with so many situations where a character has died (and many of which have respawned) it gets tedious roleplaying personal feelings.

I feel like most of our roleplay are 'roleplay events' that happen very often and are then over and done with quite quickly, as oppose to an 'ongoing story'. Too many people get shot and killed and yet there's very little roleplay, forcing us to deal with them robotically. 

Does LSPD feel the same? 

Also;

Only 4 (of 50+) people should be using Grangers in the LSFD. Chiefs and one Captain. If someone is using a Granger when they shouldn't be you can make a report here: https://lsfd.gta.world/viewforum.php?f=53

Edited by Cobra

Just dropping by some discussion thoughts:

Our next major update will be the forensic update, with detective additions, forensic for all players (fingerprints, bullet striation marks etc..), and a corpse system with a morgue. It's going to bring lot of great illegal & legal roleplay. Everything is almost finished, we just need to tie all parts together when i'm back, make some tests and release ? 

• Upvote 3
Just now, Nervous said:

Our next major update will be the forensic update, with detective additions, forensic for all players (fingerprints, bullet striation marks etc..), and a corpse system with a morgue. It's going to bring lot of great illegal & legal roleplay. Everything is almost finished, we just need to tie all parts together when i'm back, make some tests and release ? 

HYPE!

20 minutes ago, Big_Smokes said:

These are fair suggestions that we discussed and yes, we wish to portray a police department inspired by the LAPD. We do not however want to be a 100% copy and the ranks you've suggested, even if I wanted to implement them, couldn't do it properly because we lack the people for it. That aside, the structure as is works better for us and we have decided against cosmetic change for the sake of change because we prefer the functionality of current processes. We are not interested in increasing the amount of forum work we have simply to be a 100% direct copy of the LAPD. That being said most of your suggestions are cosmetic internal changes that really won't effect the faction's relationship with the public. That doesn't mean we're against cosmetic change or that cosmetic change is altogether not beneficial, we just feel like it isn't at this moment in time. I could raise them up to be discussed in the command team again, but we recently discussed and denied all those suggestions for the above reasons. Ask yourself, what IS the difference between making Lieutenant a supervisor rank or keeping it in command? It literally has no effect inside our outside of the game other than creating a whole bunch of ranks we don't need and won't make us function any better. Best part is; we won't even be able to implement them in-game anyway because we don't have the faction rank slots for it.

Moving on. We have completely moved away from 10 codes a while back and use plain English. We had a faction wide vote on this and the decision was made to keep the codes. This is the system the entire faction (by majority vote) preferred. Some people will not like it, others will love it. As for pursuit tactics like I've stated before, we'll happily review any suggestions made; but we cannot abolish tactics without finding a suitable replacement that works. 

Finally, in regards to HSIU, we don't have traditional HSIU as I've stated before. We do have HSIU so that our fastest vehicle can be used by people outside of the division that uses it as their primary patrol vehicle for contingencies. These are not super cars, these are black and whites.

You raise good points, yes, but the faction's relationship with the public isn't the only thing that matters. I'm not saying 100% replicate the LAPD, I'd never say that, because that includes doing an excessive amount of paperwork like reports over minor things and no one plays this game to do paperwork. Most of my changes are cosmetic, yes, but there's no harm in them for a little more realism. There's nothing stopping you promoting all current Lieutenants to Captain+ if they wish to remain in Command. Minor details help improve immersion, at least for me and I know for sure for a hell of a lot of other people. If this is something you don't want to pursue at the moment then it's understandable, you are lacking the people to do it, but it should at least be something you look at in the future. Inner-departmental things matter as well, not just the parts the average player sees. I believe there should be more of a focus on replicating the LAPD than only functionality and nothing else - I'm sure there's a way to make it work and if it's the lack of Command members, maybe you should consider giving out quicker promotions to supervisory officers.

Even if the HSIU "isn't traditional", me personally I still don't find that realistic. It's great you're not using a Cheetah to chase sports cars, but, at least for me, I find it silly to see a high-speed vehicle chasing a sports car, PITing and then boxing in. That's a lot of money the Department would realistically have to spend that they could be spending on much better things. Pursuits don't always have to be won, if anything, you guys should not encourage chasing sports cars as a large majority of the time these are just copbaiters looking for the chase. As a police faction you should be winning, but you should be winning fairly and realistically.

Edited by Matthew
6 minutes ago, Nervous said:

CheerfulGrandioseKitten-max-1mb.gif

8 minutes ago, Nervous said:

Not on-topic but still want to ask it for the sake of it.

Will this also mean that forensic roleplay doesn't need consent from both parties? AFAIK right now you have to get consent from the suspect if they are fine with role-playing fingerprints/DNA.

5 minutes ago, Matthew said:

You raise good points, yes, but the faction's relationship with the public isn't the only thing that matters. I'm not saying 100% replicate the LAPD, I'd never say that, because that includes doing an excessive amount of paperwork and no one plays this game to do paperwork. Most of my changes are cosmetic, yes, but there's no harm in them for a little more realism. There's nothing stopping you promoting all current Lieutenants to Captain+ if they wish to remain in Command. Minor details help improve immersion, at least for me and I know for sure for a hell of a lot of other people. If this is something you don't want to pursue at the moment then it's understandable, you are lacking the people to do it, but it should at least be something you look at in the future. Inner-departmental things matter as well, not just the parts the average player sees. I believe there should be more of a focus on replicating the LAPD than only functionality and nothing else - I'm sure there's a way to make it work and if it's the lack of Command members, maybe you should consider giving out quicker promotions to supervisory officers.

Even if the HSIU "isn't traditional", me personally I still don't find that realistic. It's great you're not using a Cheetah to chase sports cars, but, at least for me, I find it silly to see a high-speed vehicle chasing a sports car, PITing and then boxing in. That's a lot of money the Department would realistically have to spend that they could be spending on much better things. Pursuits don't always have to be won, if anything, you guys should not encourage chasing sports cars as a large majority of the time these are just copbaiters looking for the chase. As a police faction you should be winning, but you should be winning fairly and realistically.

Nothing says we won't do it in the future; but yeah like I said at the moment it's just not viewed as tenable. And well, to the argument that you're making at the end, it doesn't matter if we have HSIU or not: These vehicles will still be deployed one way or another (the interceptor) and people will still have to deal with it. As for the winning part, that's a wholly IC argument that I don't really care about in the context of this discussion. We just want the most realistic approach possible that is also tenable with the goals our faction has set out to achieve. HSIU as it stands is just here to really cover the times when there are no traffic officers in game or available to fill that purpose, something is not likely to ever happen IRL. ''As a police faction you should be winning, but you should be winning fairly and realistically.'' - I agree, so long as the method in which it is done is tenable in relation to the actual situation within the game.

And as for the interceptors.. There will be people that like them and people that don't like them. I refer to a post someone made earlier in the thread about his car enthusiast character that wants to see us use the interceptor in that respect more. 

Edited by Big_Smokes
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Tseard said:

Not on-topic but still want to ask it for the sake of it.

Will this also mean that forensic roleplay doesn't need consent from both parties? AFAIK right now you have to get consent from the suspect if they are fine with role-playing fingerprints/DNA.

The scriptwise aspects of it won't, everything that has to be roleplayed will. We'll be in a better place to give concrete answers when it's actually out there in the feature docs.

1 hour ago, zaXer. said:

The amount of high ranked police officers (even supervisors) that have unrealistic character portrayal.

The high ranks and supervisors should be people who need to give the community an example of proper character development.

Once I open a few facebrowser pages of high ranked LSPD personnel I instantly cringe, and this has been brought multiple times already.

The second thing is, again, a very talked over topic, robocops. I've been in PD for over 2 years on LSRP and it was the same issue there. The amount of police officers who portray their situations properly is too low, the inner personal feelings, the feel of being worried about someone, upset, etc, is way too low. I know there are police officers IRL who are gonna ticket you for the smallest things as well, but the percentage here is a bit too high.

Combined with above, officers who do not portray their character realistically for then next rank shouldnt be promoted (23 year old sergeants, etc, combined with proper character skin features, not a 30 year old chief looking 17).

Another thing that irritates me, black cruisers? Why? The game gives you an option of having a livery, and with mods, countless of options, but why have marked cruisers, with lightbars, marked black? Judging by LAPD IRL, I dont see them having any blacked out cruisers with lightbars. It kind of turns like FD, where 70% of the cars driven are Grangers instead of fire trucks and ambulances, in PD now you see half the staff driving black cruisers rather than white and black. The portrayal is just generally wrong, in my opinion.

I agree with this.

Having attended LSPD's Academy, and just seeing it from the outside in, I feel as if the majority of characters within the faction are unfortunately portrayed as this gentleman, who just so happens to be an expert in Muay Thai, Jiu Jit-su, and Tae Kwon Do. He was also a US Navy SEAL, and their character is always wearing plate carriers, kevlar helmets, and carrying a rifle with bloused boots.

From my experience in the real world, the majority of Law Enforcement Officers look nothing like that. I understand that players ought have freedom to create who they'd like, but... why? Why is the supporting actor from a TNT Detective show everyone's go-to?

• Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic