The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

27 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

There is one part about this that's correct. That's the last sentence.

Portraying the LASD right? That's how it reads.

So based off those two statements, and I cut out the chaff, but what it looks like, regardless of what you meant to say, is "We're gonna maintain a certain mentality, get it in place, then focus on making a 1:1 realistic portrayal of LASD." Which means what? You're gonna be gangbangers with badges?

Portraying the LASD =/= 1:1 representation of the LASD. You're arguing semantics. It is quite literally impossible to portray every aspect of the LASD, and in many cases we're doing things they definitely don't do in real life (for instance, parole is purely something the CDCR focuses on.) Even if that was the case, if we had the correct mentality, that's all that would matter at the end of the day. We've taken plenty of liberties and will continue to do so.

If you're unaware, there's many FM practices to encourage people to portray Los Angeles gangs and organizations. That is across the entire board. This isn't some new trend we're breaking into - it's something we're following based on server practice and preference. I am not a purist, and like I said, we're doing plenty which the real life LASD doesn't do.

32 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

My point is, yes, it's okay to take certain things from a real life department. It however does not have to be specifically from LAPD and only LAPD. We have the freedom here to pick and choose whatever we want from any American department across all factions, PD, SD, FD, Gov, whatever. Because all of the real life orgs have that this server does not have, a steady and massive supply of numbers and resources to reinforce their actions. This server doesn't have a ton of cops, EMTs, etc, active at all times the way that real life counterparts would. It's okay to make concessions and use things from smaller departments and shape your department to deal with that accordingly.

This is already being done. You're making the assumption that I am a purist. Once again, I'm not a purist.

Regardless, this thread is about the LSPD.

54 minutes ago, Homie said:

The way you replied to my post makes me wonder if it's really worth it spending my time telling you what's happening.

I am telling you what is happening from a new player's perspective. I seriously couldn't give two fucks if your faction has over 100 members. This is a bad thing specially considering that the server at its peak has around 200-210 players. So you're telling me half of the playerbase is a member of the PD?

Once again, BE MORE STRICT WITH WHO YOU INVITE TO YOUR FACTION. 

I'm not saying that all of those players are bad ones, all I'm saying is that I AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING A COP THAT CAN ROLEPLAY PROPERLY. 

In two weeks I've only came across police officers who play to win, not only that, I'll repeat because you probably think this is normal but I've seen a lot of cops riding 200-300K cars off-duty. 

The standards of your faction are extremely low for a server that claims to be heavy on roleplay. A revamp on your faction is the LEAST you could do. 

We're not talking about a street gang or a criminal organization where you chose if you want to roleplay with or not. We're talking about the PD, you don't chose to roleplay with the PD. If they want to force you they will and if the experience isn't good then it's not enjoyable. 

But yes, even though your response was extremely short and made me understand that you might not really give a fuck, I understand that a lot of these guys didn't come from a server that was REALLY heavy on roleplay, like a lot of us did. But still, that's not an excuse to make us have a bad time on the server.

The reason I mentioned the original post it because it clearly states that any gripes with individuals should be taken to my PM's or DM's, because that's where you can report them. This thread was made with the intention, as I've stated countless times before, to tackle wide spread issues / concerns about the faction. What you quoted were individual situations involving individual officers. I can't help you if you choose not to report them by name in my PM's or DM's, because I don't know who these specific individuals are that you mentioned, I don't know their side of the story, I don't know anything about this situation other then what you've just decided to post. Furthermore, I'd ask you to please stay calm. I'm not trying to diss you, I merely had nothing else to say other then point out the specific guidelines made for this thread so it doesn't turn into any type of OOC argument.

I would be the last person to say my faction is perfect, but I honestly believe that you're just saying this out of anger and/or to make a point. My faction's standards are not extremely low and you are not helping my faction improve or yourself by posting in this thread out of anger. Feel free to hit me up in DMs if you want to discuss specifics, but please stop replying to my thread if you are not here to have a constructive discussion.

32 minutes ago, CloutToken said:

Los Santos is based on Los Angeles, and by the way, after 2020, the factions are gonna need to be required to base off their LA counterparts, just as gangs already have to. We're emulating Los Angeles as much as we can. There's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from an IRL department, I don't understand why you felt the need to retaliate like that to Bospy in your first post.

Until there is an official notice from Server Management, I refuse to accept LS as LA. While there are discrepancies in what we borrow and liberties that we take to make our simulation easier. There's a reason that we have no real life car brands, the lore support exists.  Los Santos is an island, Los Angeles is on the coast, we have already coated the ground with an immense layer of snow and dropped temperatures far below LA. The fact of the matter is that while we use it as a point of reference for how we'd like to portray Los Santos, the two are not the same. Copying the real thing one for one is not fun for anyone involved, and takes away that the end of the day while this is a heavy roleplay environment, it is a game with the loose impression in mind. 

Criticizing someone for attempting to simulate a 1:1 is as valid as any other argument - which is how I believe the original post, and realize that in the midst of a discussion regarding a conflict of interest, there is bound to be turmoil. Also, I'm unsure where these brazen claims are coming from; but I have never gotten the impression or been told that gangs have or ever will be expected to portray their LA counterparts. 

Edited by Dodo
11 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Criticizing someone for attempting to simulate a 1:1 is as valid as any other argument - which is how I believe the original post, and realize that in the midst of a discussion regarding a conflict of interest, there is bound to be turmoil. Also, I'm unsure where these brazen claims are coming from; but I have never gotten the impression or been told that gangs have or ever will be expected to portray their LA counterparts.  

On 12/12/2019 at 10:15 AM, Nervous said:

I'm going to lock this.

You made this thread just because your faction wasn't yet accepted.

Yes, it is taking time for your specific faction because you decided to create something that doesn't exist anymore. I don't need to be a super high knowledge detective to know that Irish mafia has disappeard from Los Angeles in 2019.

We are very strict with what we accept, and we can accept small groups of people from a former bigger organization that died, but you decided to roleplay a mob from the 1846 that would still exist in LA nowadays whereas it's not the case.

So yes, your thread is taking time because I can't count on my fingers the amount of time we had to debate it internally and speak about it. Since you submitted your application, we have accepted 6-7 other factions, and denied dozen others because these weren't so debatable. Yours is, and we want to ensure we don't make a big mistake in completely forbiding you to roleplay your faction. That's why it's taking time.

Next time do your researches properly instead of blaming a process that is here to prevent unrealistic factions being created everyday.

^

From a thread about criminal roleplay.

Nobody is arguing in favor of 1:1 portrayals here. If it were possible to do and you could functionally implement it, it'd be cool to do. But there's a lot of functionality issues here.

It is entirely the prerogative of a legal faction leader to choose what fits their faction and what doesn't. If that means disregarding real life materials because it would be detrimental or too difficult to implement, so be it. If that means creating a division or template which has no real life equivalent, so be it. If that means mirroring things 1:1? So be it.

I'm going to quit posting here, though, because this thread isn't my territory. I'd just like to see any mentions of the LSSD doing X or Y to be quashed, because nobody knows what we're doing outside of me and my people at the top.

Edited by Bospy
7 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Until there is an official notice from Server Management, I refuse to accept LS as LA. While there are discrepancies in what we borrow and liberties that we take to make our simulation easier. There's a reason that we have no real life car brands, the lore support exists.  Los Santos is an island, Los Angeles is on the coast, we have already coated the ground with an immense layer of snow and dropped temperatures far below LA. The fact of the matter is that while we use it as a point of reference for how we'd like to portray Los Santos, the two are not the same. Copying the real thing one for one is not fun for anyone involved, and takes away that the end of the day while this is a heavy roleplay environment, it is a game with the loose impression in mind. 

"
From 2020 onward, all legal factions will be expected to closely portray the Los Angeles equivalent. The LSPD and LSSD in particular have made several changes recently to bring them more in line with the LAPD and LASD respectively. The key thing to remember here is that things should be as realistic as playable. This means that we will be aiming to make these factions to be as similar to their real life counterparts, but if a change is too detrimental to in-game effectiveness it will not be implemented."

On the LSFD forums, check for yourself.

Let's stick to the topic at hand. This is for members of the community to bring up issues and for LSPD leadership to respond. Clogging the thread up with anything other than that makes it more difficult to address the point.

That particular quote is being thrown around without people knowing the meaning behind it. The LSPD isn't expected to be 1:1 with the LAPD and it never will be. There's a difference between closely portraying a real life agency and copying it exactly. Having spoken to members of the LSPD leadership team myself, I'm personally pretty happy with the balance they have at the moment.

• Applaud 1
25 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Until there is an official notice from Server Management, I refuse to accept LS as LA.

I literally do not know why and how people bring this argument up in the first place.

LOS SANTOS

LOS ANGELES

Angeles means Angel in Greek

Santos means Saint in Spanish

Both of these words connote to the same meaning, both religious imagery.

And here is a bunch of images from GTA V and real life

https://imgur.com/a/Myf7eIp

That's literally just a few of the locations found in-game and in real life, there are many, many more that I could have shown but I do not wish to waste my time.

Also, you don't need management to make up your mind if whether that LS is a depiction of LA, anyone who would have any sense of common knowledge would understand that it IS LA...

• Applaud 1

put emphasis character development, give people the means and the information to help them role play their characters realistically. (guides help with this) and i don't mean have just a post that says we expect you to role play good, enforce it, push it, change it and make people understand what it is you're asking of them. people need to be spoon fed in certain circumstances, so point out what you mean by this.

make detectives not as invasive with gang role play, make people interact with these gangs like normal people (not cops who are just there to try and put them behind bars) and if you need, i can provide a plethora of video examples of what i mean by this.

put emphasis on community policing (dont look at a bunch of gang members as a faction, look at it as a clique within a vast neighborhood and make your faction members get on a real, immersive and enjoyable level with these neighborhoods and communities. they're not miracle workers, they're not satan's spawn and they're not going to make a huge change within the world (realistically). 

and most importantly, put emphasis on the thin blue line between your faction members, make people work together, talk to each other, befriend each other and to have each other's backs. i've heard of the opposite for certain people and i find it weird (people snitching on each other for petty reasons, causing problems IC with work colleagues over minor things) 

overall though, the faction is good and i like what you're doing with it. good leaders, good members and a whole bunch of good roleplayers. 

re-posting this because the factors in my post are important crucial for realistic (and modern) policing. these four components will push faction members to enjoy their time in the faction ten times more, alongside creating remember-able moments and characters that will last for years to come. these tips helped me and a bunch of other people. 

having police officers talk to civilians (or in the most common occurrences, gang members and people who commit crimes) like normal human beings. talking to people, getting to know them, meeting the neighborhood communities they come across, it's all important and really makes for an enjoyable atmosphere. 

Edited by jop
8 minutes ago, jop said:

having police officers talk to civilians (or in the most common occurrences, gang members and people who commit crimes) like normal human beings. talking to people, getting to know them, meeting the neighborhood communities they come across, it's all important and really makes for an enjoyable atmosphere. 

This is something that is being stressed upon however as always, something like this is of course a two way street. At least in my interactions with people on a lower ranking character in the department, people are being a lot more receptive to community relations from Police Officers however it's still not at a place where we want it yet. Just need more community leaders (I stress people who are roleplaying people who are vocal activists in their communities and not only running for political office), and of course more people who do roleplay people who are willing to interact with the Police outside of "Fuck twelve", "insert derogatory comment" and of course cops to not just go "stupid gangbanger" "insert derogatory comment here" and of course for civilians to be a little bit more understanding on how the Police work. It's always been strange to me but I tend to see more issues arise out of hostile behavior from people roleplayin legal characters than the people roleplaying illegal ones.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, jop said:

re-posting this because the factors in my post are important crucial for realistic (and modern) policing. these four components will push faction members to enjoy their time in the faction ten times more, alongside creating remember-able moments and characters that will last for years to come. these tips helped me and a bunch of other people. 

I think I already replied to this and / or posted my own version of this argument that I published in an internal memo a few months ago. But just to reiterate, here goes:

''More and higher quality interaction with the media: Together with MRCAD we are working on creating media trainings for (higher ranking) officers and those assigned to MRCAD, in order to improve the level of information we provide the outside world, create more transparency and have better logistics when it comes to dealing with the media in general.
Continued emphasis on community policing: As the community has stated through different means over the past year, they feel like we could do a better job at community policing, and the LSPD command team agrees. We will be working with areas such as Media Relations and Community Affairs, Gang and Narcotics and Operations Bureau on improving the training we provide to our officers that deal with communities on a daily basis.
Create more civilian staff positions: To improve the level of support we provide in the field, the LSPD staff team has been working tirelessly with Human Resources and areas such as the Detective Bureau to create more worthwhile civilian staff positions in the department. The specifics will be announced by HR when they are ready to present our new programs.
And there is a lot more to come: Obviously I would love to lay out all the plans we currently have, but some of them have to remain under wraps until we can provide you with a better idea of what we intend to do. Other things are simply not properly fleshed out enough at this point and require more attention before we can announce them.''

Obviously this attacks it from a different angle but it's basically the same. Work in progress!

• Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic