The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

7 minutes ago, DLimit said:

I wouldn't suggest that it was bad R.P.... But, a human being R.P.ing as an overly sympathetic Law enforcement officer being well aware that a lower-ranking member is being exploited to conduct their bidding. I OOCly or ICly am unaware as to whether the person had allowed my character to be "Free to Go" in order to potentially conduct an even larger investigation on the situation.

I.E. Why arrest one person when you can potentially send another person to follow him and spy on the entire operation, as a whole?

On a side note. This person was off-duty, functioning as a regular citizen, at the time. It's a possibility that she separates her work life from her personal life, which is why she took this to a personal level.

Edit: Even if neither of those cases above were the case... She could've even been a lower-ranking officer with zero experience on these type of situations, allowing the incident to slide due to her inability to comprehend the seriousness of the offense.

It's not just a "Bad RP"... It's good R.P., as numerous factors might've lead to that decision. I'd argue that her decisions, as an officer, were not the wisest. Yet, that's an I.C. issue, not a "poor RP" issue.

No.. it’s bad RP..

A female cop off duty is still a female cop. We aren’t talking about watching someone run a red light when your off duty, we’re talking about someone attempting to lure women into a prostitution ring. Do you understand the drastic difference here? Not to mention she is also a FEMALE so it’s even more confusing as to why she would allow a crime that victimizes specifically FEMALES to go on with just a warning.

”She could have been setting up for a future sting” : This isn’t a B List crime movie, we are expected to RP realistic characters and I assume her character was realistically trained, while I’m no expert on police protocols I have a sneaking suspicion that the patrol guide doesn’t encourage off duty police officers to flash they’re badge at criminals and tell them “your doing this wrong”. 

This is just screams someone trying to RP the “cool” cop and doing it incredibly poorly, They could have taken the information you gave them and gone to the detectives, actually started a chain of events that would of created RP for at least two dozen players. 

10 minutes ago, Henning said:

No.. it’s bad RP..

A female cop off duty is still a female cop. We aren’t talking about watching someone run a red light when your off duty, we’re talking about someone attempting to lure women into a prostitution ring. Do you understand the drastic difference here? Not to mention she is also a FEMALE so it’s even more confusing as to why she would allow a crime that victimizes specifically FEMALES to go on with just a warning.

”She could have been setting up for a future sting” : This isn’t a B List crime movie, we are expected to RP realistic characters and I assume her character was realistically trained, while I’m no expert on police protocols I have a sneaking suspicion that the patrol guide doesn’t encourage off duty police officers to flash they’re badge at criminals and tell them “your doing this wrong”. 

This is just screams someone trying to RP the “cool” cop and doing it incredibly poorly, They could have taken the information you gave them and gone to the detectives, actually started a chain of events that would of created RP for at least two dozen players. 

"They could have taken the information you gave them and gone to the detectives, actually started a chain of events that would of created RP for at least two dozen players. "

That's the point that i am attempting to raise. However, arresting my character would've prevented them from attaining any intelligence on the operation as the organization that he engages with would've more than likely terminated him. As an actual person that has been involved in gangs in the past, Law enforcement officers would often let the younger marijuana dealers to be "Free to Go" (while confiscating the few grams in their pocket) during certain occasions in order to spy on them, later, as a means towards dismantling a larger operation. They aren't concerned about the younger youth selling a few grams on the street, they are concerned about the supplier.

I left out a few details, as-well, as my character emphasized that the women are not expected to fulfill tasks that they are uncomfortable with etc... Which might have lead to the female sympathizing with him. She even mentioned "It's good that you don't force these things on other women... at least you give them a choice" etc...  

Edited by DLimit
34 minutes ago, DLimit said:

She could've even been a lower-ranking officer with zero experience on these type of situations, allowing the incident to slide due to her inability to comprehend the seriousness of the offense.

Come on. Really? This is what you're going to say? She doesn't understand how serious of an offense prostitution is because she's a beat cop?

52 minutes ago, Thread said:

Come on. Really? This is what you're going to say? She doesn't understand how serious of an offense prostitution is because she's a beat cop?

Might have been the case, as she was dealing with a very young member that was more than likely being exploited for a larger operation. I listed scenarios suggesting that it's an I.C. issue, not a "Poor R.P." situation. How about the other scenarios, listed above? How about the idea that she was an off-duty officer that was probably attempting to separate her work life from her personal life? Individuals are not aware of the entire situation, including my self. But, I won't jump the gun and claim that the R.P. was poor, as we are unaware of the factors that lead to her decision... It might've even transitioned into a larger sting operation... Who knows? Maybe she might leave the force... We simply do not know.

Be honest with me... Would arresting a younger lower-ranking members that is a pawn of a major prostitution ring dismantle the entire prostitution ring? Or, would it be more effective to release the pawn, spy on HIM, and then conduct a larger investigation on an entire prostitution ring?

Notes to add... My character mentioned the following:

1." We use 'dem Taxi Cabs... Mans pay fer ride.. den they drop custie off at secret spot."
2. "We don't advertise our spot, still..."
3. "Mans kinda protect our products, zeen? So, nah worry... they gonna be in Taxi Cab if tings get rough."

4. "I ain't really runnin' 'dem 'tings... older man'dem send me, you see me?"
5. "...Like I say, it ain't in my power, gyal... Dem older heads call the shots, still"

Sort of hinting that he isn't a major player in this massive operation, which might have altered her decision when it came to either arresting my character or not.

EDIT: Even more to add to this situation... Maybe, she did not desire to arrest my character as she did not possess enough resources to attain back-up. We do not know the entire situation. She was wearing tight-jeans with a tight shirt, nothing else. Zero radios present, zero handcuffs etc... In all reality, if she stated "You're under arrest", then they'd both be shooting at each other inside of an apartment. A woman, undergeared in plain clothes, attempting to fight off a Jamaican teen that is more than likely armed? Not a good idea. On top of that, the advertisement was "Seeking women to labour a high-paying job in the entertainment industry"... Not enough evidence to persuade an entire unit of officers to investigate the situation, before hand. Thus, we should not jump the gun proclaiming that she was a "Poor Roleplayer".

Her roleplay was on a higher level, I'll defend that one to the death, hahaha.

Edited by DLimit

I also forget her name but on another side note, females and the LSPD. If this fits you, you need to remember you are a female. Yesterday I seen a female detective alone in front of a gang area sitting openly within 10 feet of about 20 or more active gang members. Just sitting there. I thought it was extremely unrealistic seeing she was a female along with the lack of RPing fear. 

1 hour ago, DLimit said:

She showed you her badge.. This is one of the key issues here. Why? What does showing you her badge do for her beside put her in incredible danger. She's alone, off duty. She has no backup and all she knows is the person in front of her is trying to recruit her into a prostitution ring. Said person also explained what sounds like the entire framework of the operation to them. Had she been a beat cop? She should have been incredibly scared not because of the person in front of her but because of the information she is now aware of. Information that gets people killed. You use the word "We" which infers that you are a member of a group. She's stepped into the middle of an active criminal enterprise way outside of her training and pay grade, one with multiple co-conspirators who now have reason to kill her. 

Now taking all that into consideration, even a beat cop is trained in risk assessment and a failure in that category of THIS magnitude is not something that should be encouraged, praised or rewarded. It is behavior that frankly should get them removed from the department OOCly as they clearly don't understand how to portray a law enforcement officer.

I know that I sound harsh and I sound knit-picky but I see this as an incredibly slippery slope and one I personally feel very strongly about. Far to often in any roleplaying community, an issue arises in the LEO role play where people begin playing what I like to call "TV Drama Cops". There are many great television shows about 21st century law enforcement. The wire, Blue Bloods and Southland just to name a few. While these are all great drama's with varying levels of realism, its important to remember that they are exactly that; Dramas.

These shows are trying to tell the story from one or a few characters perspectives. Meaning the writers (While trying to stick to some level of authenticity) are attempting to create stories or events that are "Realistic" but also are ultimately good for television. This means that the main characters in the show don't face any real consequences for their actions unless those consequences are good for the story. This also means that these characters also get away with doing shit to "Background" or "NPC" characters with no consequences. This is where the issue starts. We are not in a TV drama, those "background" characters? Those are actual players. Players who's stories are as important as the LEO in question. 

TLDR:  When players relay on "Good for TV" over realism, that's when you begin to see power gaming and badRP become a problem. Other peoples stories become effected because one person or a group of people feel their characters are the main characters in this story and in turn begin making decisions that don't make real sense but just seem "Cool". 

Edited by Henning
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Henning said:

She showed you her badge.. This is one of the key issues here. Why? What does showing you her badge do for her beside put her in incredible danger. She's alone, off duty. She has no backup and all she knows is the person in front of her is trying to recruit her into a prostitution ring. Said person also explained what sounds like the entire framework of the operation to them. Had she been a beat cop? She should have been incredibly scared not because of the person in front of her but because of the information she is now aware of. Information that gets people killed. You use the word "We" which infers that you are a member of a group. She's stepped into the middle of an active criminal enterprise way outside of her training and pay grade, one with multiple co-conspirators who now have reason to kill her. 

Now taking all that into consideration, even a beat cop is trained in risk assessment and a failure in that category of THIS magnitude is not something that should be encouraged, praised or rewarded. It is behavior that frankly should get them removed from the department OOCly as they clearly don't understand how to portray a law enforcement officer.

I know that I sound harsh and I sound knit-picky but I see this as an incredibly slippery slope and one I personally feel very strongly about. Far to often in any roleplaying community, an issue arises in the LEO role play where people begin playing what I like to call "TV Drama Cops". There are many great television shows about 21st century law enforcement. The wire, Blue Bloods and Southland just to name a few. While these are all great drama's with varying levels of realism, its important to remember that they are exactly that; Dramas.

These shows are trying to tell the story from one or a few characters perspectives. Meaning the writers (While trying to stick to some level of authenticity) are attempting to create stories or events that are "Realistic" but also are ultimately good for television. This means that the main characters in the show don't face any real consequences for their actions unless those consequences are good for the story. This also means that these characters also get away with doing shit to "Background" or "NPC" characters with no consequences. This is where the issue starts. We are not in a TV drama, those "background" characters? Those are actual players. Players who's stories are as important as the LEO in question. 

When players relay on "Good for TV" over realism, that's when you begin to see power gaming and badRP become a problem. Other peoples stories become effected because one person or a group of people feel their characters are the main characters in this story and in turn begin making decisions that don't make real sense but just seem "Cool". 

TLDR: On a heavy RP server where realism is expected, Characters should be making the decisions that are realistic not the decisions that seem "Cool". While anything is possible, things must be done realistically and with in the context of the events. 

"She showed you her badge.. This is one of the key issues here."

I heavily agree with you, on that one claim, within itself. If it was any higher-ranking member, then she would've been executed, on site. You raise a very good point on that one. Perhaps, if she didn't display her badge, then the situation would've been perfect.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:50 AM, Large Hazard said:

Unsure if the discussion about roleplaying fear was concluded as it's a lot of posts to go through, so my apologies if it was. I agree with what's been said about it being a "two way street". While officers shouldn't roam known gang neighborhoods as if they're patrolling in the Vinewood Hills, gang members should not go out of their way to "make" officers fear their territory by stretching the bounds of realism. Los Angeles does not have 'no go' zones, it is not Juarez or Tijuana. Officers don't drive down dark alleyways or into the middle of housing project parking lots if they have no reason to but they also don't avoid public streets. Shooting at or near a police officer or even brandishing a weapon purely because they're in your neighborhood is a really easy way to catch a few decades on a state yard or risk being killed.

Police officers should be cautious of suspected gang members, who are known to carry weapons and are often felons, but gang members should also remember that cop-killing is one of the fastest ways to a death penalty sentence.

To qualify, this is all opinion and it's coming from a person with a massive majority in illegal roleplay experience, not an LEO roleplayer.

Thats facts.

Again, as stated before.. Did you speak to PD command or report for the role play quality? I don't see why it's being posted here. Obviously something like this would not be taken lightly within our faction but we don't watch every single members off duty role play. It's not possible. If you have a complaint regarding the role play realism and quality of an Officer, report it. As Smokey has said, his DM's are always open. I can tell you from experience, if this situation was found out ICly by command, that Officer would be severely punished unless they were a Detective performing their duties. 

You've got to remember, we are part of the biggest faction on this server with way too many members to keep tabs on at all times. So if you witness things like this, send it up the chain. Help them, help you. Icly or OOcly. We strive to keep role play quality levels high.

25 minutes ago, SULLI said:

Again, as stated before.. Did you speak to PD command or report for the role play quality? I don't see why it's being posted here. Obviously something like this would not be taken lightly within our faction but we don't watch every single members off duty role play. It's not possible. If you have a complaint regarding the role play realism and quality of an Officer, report it. As Smokey has said, his DM's are always open. I can tell you from experience, if this situation was found out ICly by command, that Officer would be severely punished unless they were a Detective performing their duties. 

You've got to remember, we are part of the biggest faction on this server with way too many members to keep tabs on at all times. So if you witness things like this, send it up the chain. Help them, help you. Icly or OOcly. We strive to keep role play quality levels high.

-Delete this... probably was not referring to me-

Edited by DLimit
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic