The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

2 minutes ago, Jedai said:

I think the biggest issue when it comes to Police scenes regardless of faction is ensuring that if you want to release things to the media that you don't create redundancy. Shootings are always newsworthy events but the genuine question is, how many times is a player going to be interested in that before they completely disregard it and then it becomes just paperwork for the sake of paperwork on the side of the person who is writing it to give to a reporter. Same thing for motor accidents, pursuits, etc etc. I think it's a lot easier for the current Media Relations Team to look at if they know what people actually want to see. 

This is a big fault I see right now in the way things are reported and something that was discussed by a lot of the people involved with the war. News reporting on a RP server is about more then just getting clicks. Yeah, does it seem a little redundant at times given just how frequent crime is committed on the server?  Yeah. But there will always be an audience and a good purpose for it even if people aren't interacting with the articles. 

There are only two proper ways to spread information on the server. Word of mouth or news, these are the only two IC means in which your character can get and use information. When an article is released, even if no one in my immediate circle knows about the event I can still access that information and bring it in to my RP. The situation we're dealing with in the war is a good example. 

Currently, 200 characters are involved in this war. Both alliances are huge and most of us don't know most of the people we're fighting alongside IC personally. Currently the way information is disseminated is this: An event in the war transpires, The people involved in the event need to contact their faction leadership who then need to contact the leadership of their allies who then can share information about the event with their own guys. It might seem somewhat simple but when your dealing with 200 people it becomes a long and complex process which leaves a ton to be desired and a lot of headaches. 

Now in reality, if a war like this was to take place? Everyone involved would know enough context to see a news report and make a connection, allowing them to quickly work what's happened into their RP. For allies this means instead of just waiting around for a phone call from the other parties, they can pickup the phone and confirm what had happened for themselves. Something that if they did without seeing a news report would be MGing. It also helps PD,  there are people surrounding our factions who are not directly involved in the war but have a better understanding of the context. Seeing one of these news reports might actually assist PD because it might encourage them to come forward with more information about the event.

As I said before, what frustrates me the most about the lack of communication by PD is that it's entirely counter intuitive and it seems almost like the perks of doing this are being ignored because it somehow might not see a tangible response from the community or might not immediately see results. Regardless I hope that my ranting and raving can help you guys understand what I and many others believe not only adds a lot of PD, but adds a ton for the server.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • Wuhtah locked this topic