The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

Just now, Ryoichi said:

Can someone explain to me why the faction is so predominately filled with American and British players?

And why there is such a huge minority of people with a different nationality.  

I'd imagine the same reason why the server is filled with a lot of American and British players.

Out of my own curiosity, I just went and tallied everyone currently on TS with where they are from.

USA, 12

UK, 16

Germany, 6

Canada, 3

The Netherlands, 2

Belgium, 2

Israel, 1

Latvia, 1

Lithuania, 1

Estonia, 1

South Africa, 1

Croatia, 1

Sweden, 1

Portugal, 1

Turkey, 1

I would assume these figures are based on how 'popular' learning English is in a countries education system. It's easier for an American or a Brit to join the LSPD when they were born in a country where that is the first language. A high English writing level is required in the LSPD for a variety of reasons, the most important obviously being quality of roleplay.

• Upvote 2
18 hours ago, Ryoichi said:

Can someone explain to me why the faction is so predominately filled with American and British players?

And why there is such a huge minority of people with a different nationality.  

Hey there ?

As I think Marksman has pointed out that isn't the case at all. We are really mixed. Not even the case that more British and American because it's an English server blah blah blah. Our Chief and Assistant Chief for one is Dutch and Belgian. I think out the whole staff and Command team which I think we are around 14 ish... Maybe like 4 of us are British and 1 American? As for the rest of the faction, Wide variety of people from different cultures and backgrounds ? 

Edited by Cascade

You don't think only 1 or two players from another nationality per country is a weird phenomena? compared to the 16 or 12 US or British people?.

Just feels like people with another native tongue get less chances to play as a specific government role on this server, because their spelling might not be completely perfect as a native English writer. 

Edited by Ryoichi
25 minutes ago, Ryoichi said:

You don't think only 1 or two players from another nationality per country is a weird phenomena? compared to the 16 or 12 US or British people?.

Just feels like people with another native tongue get less chances to play as a specific government role on this server, because their spelling might not be completely perfect as a native English writer. 

I am not sure of the actual statistics of the nationalities of our faction members, and hence can not verify or disprove whether there is a disproportion of nationalities to start with. I believe that counting the number of people who are online on Teamspeak at any one time is however not the most scientific and diligent of experiments or assessments to go off of. There are multiple factors that can affect the amount of people online on TS at any one time, such as timezones.

To answer your question, though, I do not think that it is weird that we only have 1 or 2 players from individual countries at one point of time on TS. I believe we have people from all across the world. The LSPD does not take into consideration your nationality during the recruitment process, nor is it asked on the application. Hence, your nationality does not affect your chances of joining the faction. Nonetheless, we do consider the English skills of the individual. We do not ask for unreasonable skills, we only ask for what is required of a faction member to be understood by their fellow faction members and the server as a whole. If people do not meet those requirements, then unfortunately they can not uphold our standards and will face difficulties if they are allowed into the faction. It is the same way that the server considers the English ability of individuals when they apply to the server.

2 hours ago, Ryoichi said:

I'm not sure where you have this idea from but I promise you that is not the case. We do however expect a standard of English from all members regardless of nationality and a believable and maintainable backstory from all applicants. There are many non native English speakers in the faction that do perfectly fine within the department and have very high positions. So no, there is no bias over who comes in based on their nationality. Like I said previously, even the two guys running the faction are not native speakers of English.  (Though granted can speak and write in English better than I can as one!)

Edited by Cascade

Hello, RED CO here. 

As several other members of the department and staff members have contributed, we keep recruitment a fair and unbiased process. The recruitment process to break it down for you, is as follows: your application is accepted, you are are given a departmental interview (DI), reviewed, given an Individual Physical Training (IPT), reviewed again, and then you feel you have sufficiently studied the material you are allotted to request your exam. Both the DI and the IPT are reviewed based on grading criteria. During the DI your character is assessed for things such as their communication ability and motives behind joining the department. On an OOC level the candidate is graded on their ability to articulate, and their general writing ability.  If you are able to pass this, you are forwarded to the IPT which is more or less the same but placed in a directly interactive situation to RP'ly simulate a stressful situation for your character and to see how you are able to RP in a situation. 

For each of these reviews, we log the transcript of the interview and are expected to articulate our reasoning behind our grades. This goes all the way from the entry level Recruitment Officer to myself. If you are denied the reviewer offers an explanation, and if you are unhappy with this you are welcome to take it up the chain for a second opinion. 

That being said, we do not take your nationality into consideration. At no point during the process do we note, ask, or care where the applicant is from. You receive no points for being an American or a Brit, and you definitely don't lose any points from being anywhere else. While I understand that English is not native tongue for some, we enforce the same standards across the board. Commonly, this also is not the sole reason for a denial as well. Poor English is a contributory factor when considering denial for poor interviews, poor character backstories, and the latter. 

I hope this has addressed any concerns. I'm more than happy to answer further questions should anyone have them.

EDIT: Would also like to address the earlier post, Marksman pulled stats from active Teamspeak users at the time by checking where Teamspeak had said they were from. To my knowledge we have no way to filter faction members by nationality, and as such the variety of our faction varies depending on the server-time. 

Edited by Dodo
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Hello, RED CO here. 

As several other members of the department and staff members have contributed, we keep recruitment a fair and unbiased process. The recruitment process to break it down for you, is as follows: your application is accepted, you are are given a departmental interview (DI), reviewed, given an Individual Physical Training (IPT), reviewed again, and then you feel you have sufficiently studied the material you are allotted to request your exam. Both the DI and the IPT are reviewed based on grading criteria. During the DI your character is assessed for things such as their communication ability and motives behind joining the department. On an OOC level the candidate is graded on their ability to articulate, and their general writing ability.  If you are able to pass this, you are forwarded to the IPT which is more or less the same but placed in a directly interactive situation to RP'ly simulate a stressful situation for your character and to see how you are able to RP in a situation. 

For each of these reviews, we log the transcript of the interview and are expected to articulate our reasoning behind our grades. This goes all the way from the entry level Recruitment Officer to myself. If you are denied the reviewer offers an explanation, and if you are unhappy with this you are welcome to take it up the chain for a second opinion. 

That being said, we do not take your nationality into consideration. At no point during the process do we note, ask, or care where the applicant is from. You receive no points for being an American or a Brit, and you definitely don't lose any points from being anywhere else. While I understand that English is not native tongue for some, we enforce the same standards across the board. Commonly, this also is not the sole reason for a denial as well. Poor English is a contributory factor when considering denial for poor interviews, poor character backstories, and the latter. 

I hope this has addressed any concerns. I'm more than happy to answer further questions should anyone have them.

EDIT: Would also like to address the earlier post, Marksman pulled stats from active Teamspeak users at the time by checking where Teamspeak had said they were from. To my knowledge we have no way to filter faction members by nationality, and as such the variety of our faction varies depending on the server-time. 

I have recently gone through the recruitment process and can attest to this fully, at no point was my nationality disclosed or required to be. From experience, it was based mainly on character portrayal, backstory, understanding of the English language to a reasonable degree and overall quality of your RP. This is coming from someone who is from a Caribbean  island, making me a minority; the nationality differential is really a scaled down version of what the server's representation on a whole is in my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic