The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

14 minutes ago, Jola said:

Why do a number of your members use British terms IC?

We don't have a ban on foreigners joining the department - we follow the exact same standards ICly as the LAPD does. Although we heavily discourage it, there will be a person every blue moon that joins our faction with a background like that.

On the flipside, we've started cracking down heavily on people using foreign slang because of ignorance. There were several new guides posted in the past 2 months about proper speech patterns, roleplay styles, the works. We grouped up with a large part of the faction's American population to go over mannerisms, slang, you name it to improve the quality of the support we offer. We had our middle management then focus on their own direct areas of influence (patrols, divisions, etc) and educate their folks where need be.

The people I know were concerns at the time have been dealt with either by way of removal or course correction - does that mean people can't slip up every now and again? Dude. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the many many many brits in my faction uses or has used British slang by accident.

Accidents aside, refer to my first post. We don't have a ban on naturalized citizens joining and thus it's possible for someone to grow up in the United Kingdom and somehow find their way here. We have, however, started cracking down heavily on it OOCly since ~ 4 months ago. There are several topics in the open area of the LSPD forums that explain what we look for in members, with more in depth topics open to the people that pass the initial stages of recruitment / are a part of the faction. We have only recently taken a hammer to our recruitment process to re-do it from the ground up. It will take time for all of that to straighten out.

That being said, if you have any recent examples of this happening, I encourage you to pass them along.

Edited by Big_Smokes
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

I have a question:

I've seen the police drive by the people who've called them quite a bit in the past couple of weeks.

Is this a new police tactic or procedure, or is there some kind of desync preventing LSPD characters from seeing the people, or are people giving bad locations?

27 minutes ago, jcat said:

I have a question:

I've seen the police drive by the people who've called them quite a bit in the past couple of weeks.

Is this a new police tactic or procedure, or is there some kind of desync preventing LSPD characters from seeing the people, or are people giving bad locations?

It could just as easily be that the person driving by isn't responding to your call, and is going someplace else. 

18 minutes ago, Samuel said:

It could just as easily be that the person driving by isn't responding to your call, and is going someplace else. 

Very true.  LSPD has been very busy.  I've just seen it happen a lot over the past few weeks, so I thought I'd ask.

Greetings my cop friends and @Big_Smokes in particular!

Why is the LSPD adding warrants to players records while they are banned? What could a player have possibly done while they were banned to allow for a warrant to be added? 

Tia9k9h.png

I was not able to access the game within even a month of March 19, 2020. Why has my character, Salah-ad-Din Al Atar, been given a warrant? Is there more information on my warrant that I can obtain? I've been ignored both by legal FM and the officer who provided my record for me via the criminal record request system, so I'm pretty confused as to what to do here. 

3 hours ago, shareef2 said:

Greetings my cop friends and @Big_Smokes in particular!

Why is the LSPD adding warrants to players records while they are banned? What could a player have possibly done while they were banned to allow for a warrant to be added? 

Tia9k9h.png

I was not able to access the game within even a month of March 19, 2020. Why has my character, Salah-ad-Din Al Atar, been given a warrant? Is there more information on my warrant that I can obtain? I've been ignored both by legal FM and the officer who provided my record for me via the criminal record request system, so I'm pretty confused as to what to do here. 

This is not the place, please read the original post. Private message me please and I'll do what I can to help.

This question is SPECIFICALLY for @Big_Smokes as he himself has spoken on this topic previously, I ask that other members of PD refrain from responding as I'm specifically asking if his view on the subject has changed.

With the addition of bugs, wires and tracking devices in tomorrows update, PD now has the tools to perform long term, sweeping investigations against illegal factions. Previously you've stated that you have no intention of shutting down illegal factions through investigations, has this new update changed your opinion on this subject? If full shut downs of factions is not your goal, will we see PD attempting to dismantle illegal faction leadership at least?

Obviously no one wants to see the faction they have built be shut down, however I think I speak for a lot of people when I say the current threat posed by police investigation is slim to none, especially in organized crime. Using LCN as an example can we expect PD to begin targeting Made guys, Capo's and they're individual crews of associates with long term investigations instead of targeting entire crime family factions as a whole?

33 minutes ago, Henning said:

This question is SPECIFICALLY for @Big_Smokes as he himself has spoken on this topic previously, I ask that other members of PD refrain from responding as I'm specifically asking if his view on the subject has changed.

With the addition of bugs, wires and tracking devices in tomorrows update, PD now has the tools to perform long term, sweeping investigations against illegal factions. Previously you've stated that you have no intention of shutting down illegal factions through investigations, has this new update changed your opinion on this subject? If full shut downs of factions is not your goal, will we see PD attempting to dismantle illegal faction leadership at least?

Obviously no one wants to see the faction they have built be shut down, however I think I speak for a lot of people when I say the current threat posed by police investigation is slim to none, especially in organized crime. Using LCN as an example can we expect PD to begin targeting Made guys, Capo's and they're individual crews of associates with long term investigations instead of targeting entire crime family factions as a whole?

It's not so much that I don't want to see factions shut down period, but I want us to have to work for it and not have the other party feel like we got an ''easy'' win. This is why I previously refrained from allowing undercover officers to insert themselves into factions, because the tool is simply too strong. I would only ever authorize that if things go too far (i.e. faction starts to commit mass murders and they NEED to be taken down. That hasn't happened here yet, though)

Wires, moles and trackers however level the playing field. It's not necessarily easy for the police department to obtain, because it requires us (any law enforcement factions with investigators) to obtain serious information about person x, property x, you name it, before an electronic surveillance warrant will be granted. I know we previously spoke about arrest / search warrants in topics other then this one, and the same (if not more stringent) requirements will be tied to obtaining these warrants. Surveillance is the name of the game, and it's already given the police department (through a considerably high amount of work) the opportunity to gain a lot of information, but it's always shy of giving us that hammer we need to hit the proverbial nail in the head. 

I have a history of being a vice / organised crime investigator personally, as that's what I previously did on the community I played before I joined GTAW and it will always have a special place for me. I was personally a big part of spearheading the movement to get this added to the server. What everyone, my detectives included, has to understand about wires is this: They are no joke. Wires are a seriously powerful tool (which is why for example the FBI took them very seriously in the 70's/80's and used them to seriously hurt LCN in New York) and that is the way we are going to approach it too. I know that a lot of you in the community have complained in the past about the LSPD's DB incapability to do a lot of damage specifically to non-open criminal factions (so discount gangs and motorcycle clubs for a moment) because it is extremely difficult to effectively identify a faction's chain of command through surveillance unless they openly advertise it.

That being said, this is the tool that levels the playing field. This is not going to make the police department (or any other investigate entity) overpowered. If anything, this merely levels the playing field. All those conversations you're purposely having inside buildings now because you know there's nothing the LSPD/LSSD/SABI can do about it? That time is over. This forces you, the criminal roleplayer, to always be on your toes. This forces you to think twice about what is safe and what isn't.

To give you an example of what wires are useful for, I'll bring up the most basic thing. Buy busts. You've heard about them, right? For those of you who don't know, a buy bust is when an officer in plain clothes approaches you, the criminal, to buy contraband from you. Previously we were very apprehensive about doing these types of operations, because officer safety (as it should be) is one of our number one priorities. Wires however give us the ability to, in real time, listen in to what the officer is doing instead of relying on texts or calls to know how they're doing.

This tool has been widely available to police departments in the US (and probably across the globe as well) and it will simply function as something that will level the playing field. What is the point to playing a high level LCN character when you know that the LSPD can't physically ever do anything against you not because of incompetence, but because the script simply doesn't support it? There is only so much cosmetic fear you can roleplay without it getting dull and not feeling like you genuinely might be at risk.

TL:DR - To some of you this tool might seem very minute and to others it might look overpowered. Both sides I get. If you're an associate then you probably won't care about this addition - and rightfully so, because it's not really meant to have an effect on you. This tool is there for police detectives to have the ability to bring the hurt to faction middle management and leaders - which is something I believe both sides have been waiting for for a long time. IF you can't tell, I'm personally very excited about this addition because I know that it will finally give the police department the IC ability to start genuinely ramping up investigations. In turn, I know this will bring many more people to the detective career path and will hopefully result in a more active police department detective bureau - something that the entire server will benefit from.

If you are worried about usage of wires, you can find reassurance in this: In the Los Santos Police Department, using a wire illegally will simply not be allowed, period. I will put an OOC restriction on it because the tool is too powerful to be abused. The only times that people will be using wires will be to either wire up a police officer during a buy bust, to wire up a confidential informant (which we always OOCly vet with LFM/IFM to ensure they have IC reasons to rat instead of just OOC) or to wire up a business for which a warrant has obtained.

If there are any further questions, please let me know. I do not want any of you to be confused/concerned about our wire usage. I am personally very invested in it (because I roleplay a detective as well) and will not accept any abuse of the tool.

Edited by Big_Smokes
  • Upvote 6
  • Applaud 1

This sounds like an interesting feature.

As I understand it, irl police will be allowed to engage in electronic surveillance only after first having obtained legal authority. Typically, that authority is granted by a judge or magistrate on the demonstration of probable cause, which provides a check against potential abuse of listening devices by the police. 

Will there be a similar process in game, or is use of wires a discretionary decision made by the police? If it is discretionary, will police log a disclosable record of the matters that led them to believe probable cause existed? Can I then interrogate that record?

I hope to eventually RP as an attorney, and I’m starting to consider the prospect of challenging the admissibility of unlawfully obtained evidence to help obtain acquittal for criminal role players. If the intention is to keep the playing field even, I imagine a high level criminal role player would like the legal means to beat any charges that arise from these investigations.

If I’m over thinking it, please just tell me I’m over thinking it!  ?

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic