The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

34 minutes ago, Jennie said:

Mainly I meant if there is something established internally in the PD, that is, if there is something decided related to what you say, lights without sync and those things, because I have been since I joined the server skipping the traffic lights in red, carefully and slowly when there is nobody and nothing has ever happened, and some PDs have let me go, but today is the first fine I've received due to this and I don't feel like stopping at each light or accumulating dozens of fines xD.

Traffic lights are synced, it's just so long as you're not blowing through them at 60mph most officers to be completely honest don't really care enough to pull you over and give you a ticket because well - traffic is non existent on the server. It would also just cause everyone to have a horrible time & would not add anything to the overall RP quality of the server. When we do start enforcing these laws more heavily it is usually because of people in high end vehicles driving at crazy speeds in certain districts of the city. That aside however it's still against the law and you may be fined if you end up running a light in front of traffic division units (which are specifically there to enforce traffic laws when they are not responding to 911 calls), one of their operations or a patrol car with a rookie in it.

It seems like you've just been lucky so far! We don't have any sort of gentleman's agreement in place that prohibits people from giving tickets out when it's questionable or feels over the top, most people just don't because they have bigger fish to fry. That's not to say there's anything wrong with giving out tickets, it's just that at the moment we have a healthy balance of it being enforced when it has to - but not to a point where it's an OOC nuisance to players on the server.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the server (only about 50 hours of play time) so take my opinion with a grain of salt I guess, but I don't care for how the Police Department is RP'd.  Before I go any further, let me give you a little background on myself. IRL I'm a 12 year Sheriff's Vet in suburban Chicago - Besides Patrol, I held positions in Gang Enforcement, General Detectives, FTO, Motor Unit, and Evidence Technician.  So maybe my experience actually hinders my enjoyment of the PD RP.....meaning I need to chill out and remember this is just a game.  

I've had a few encounters as a victim/witness with solid RP potential for the Cops and they completely just bypass the opportunity to work a solid case (witnesses, offender descriptions, vehicle descriptions, etc.), but it wasn't "in-progress".  For example: I run a business and a guy shows up. I RP taking his ID (identifying him), I took down his license plate, I went over a contract, and gave him property that belonged to me which he was suppose to return.....but he didn't after several attempts to get it back.  IRL would this be a civil matter? Yes, it would. However, for RP purposes, I think the police should get involved and track the dude down, or at the very least get a warrant in the system. Why wouldn't you ? You got an ID, a plate with a vehicle description- let's RP signing a complaint and go track him down. As a cop, I would find that enjoyable, personally. When I go to report it I'm told "We don't handle things that have happened in the past".  Uhh.....what? I guess this is Minority Report.   What this tells me is that the police officers only care about  bum rushing an in-progress scene to point guns at people.  It's very robotic and AI'ish in my opinion.  There's no depth.  Because I'm new, and don't RP a criminal......Does the police really not investigate anything?

I've heard the argument that there's too much crime and not enough officers to handle calls other than in-progress calls.  I feel that there's two things that contribute to that

1. Too many cops respond to the same calls. Mass is good, but damn If I've seen 15 squads at a scene. If there's an Officer down, I buy it. If not....there's no reason for that. This should free up a lot of manpower to go RP good cases that would end in some arrests.

2. Poor RP by the general public. Why are you fleeing if you have no warrant, a valid license, no weapons/drugs? It's poor RP - this should be punished by the admins.  

Now I'm not saying that every report should be investigated to the fullest. There's such a thing as a solvability matrix that's usually done by Detectives, but the same mental checklist is applied to patrol officers as well. They should use it. If IC Dispatchers were ever able to be implemented as a job, this would be a great opportunity to have them basically triage calls, or filter the ones with the best RP potential.  

However, all I ever see is in the photo I attached. 

gta-world-camera-2020-5-25-19-0-23.png

Edited by Five-O
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Five-O said:

Hey there,

I'm not sure who told you that we dont investigate things in the past because what you are describing, sounds like the majority of what I do in-game as an intel/detective unit. Might of just been one bad case? Regardless, we definitely do handle stuff like that.

The second picture looks like a tactical support team which is called when something is above the danger level that a normal "patrol" officer should handle. That could also be a high-risk warrant takedown?

Supervisors on duty often clear units out from ongoing scenes to assist with other calls and such.

Aye I think that's just a bad officer you got there. Patrol officers, at least in PD, have a thing called Incident Reports where we can forward things to detectives that we feel need investigating. I doubt I'm allowed to give many specifics on it, but basicly know there are hundreds of them and I don't think I go a day without seeing at least one posted. 

I'm sure Smokey wouldn't mind if you privately messaged him with who you were dealing with in that incident so the issue can be fed back. 

7 hours ago, Five-O said:

I'm new to the server (only about 50 hours of play time) so take my opinion with a grain of salt I guess, but I don't care for how the Police Department is RP'd.  Before I go any further, let me give you a little background on myself. IRL I'm a 12 year Sheriff's Vet in suburban Chicago - Besides Patrol, I held positions in Gang Enforcement, General Detectives, FTO, Motor Unit, and Evidence Technician.  So maybe my experience actually hinders my enjoyment of the PD RP.....meaning I need to chill out and remember this is just a game.  

I've had a few encounters as a victim/witness with solid RP potential for the Cops and they completely just bypass the opportunity to work a solid case (witnesses, offender descriptions, vehicle descriptions, etc.), but it wasn't "in-progress".  For example: I run a business and a guy shows up. I RP taking his ID (identifying him), I took down his license plate, I went over a contract, and gave him property that belonged to me which he was suppose to return.....but he didn't after several attempts to get it back.  IRL would this be a civil matter? Yes, it would. However, for RP purposes, I think the police should get involved and track the dude down, or at the very least get a warrant in the system. Why wouldn't you ? You got an ID, a plate with a vehicle description- let's RP signing a complaint and go track him down. As a cop, I would find that enjoyable, personally. When I go to report it I'm told "We don't handle things that have happened in the past".  Uhh.....what? I guess this is Minority Report.   What this tells me is that the police officers only care about  bum rushing an in-progress scene to point guns at people.  It's very robotic and AI'ish in my opinion.  There's no depth.  Because I'm new, and don't RP a criminal......Does the police really not investigate anything?

I've heard the argument that there's too much crime and not enough officers to handle calls other than in-progress calls.  I feel that there's two things that contribute to that

1. Too many cops respond to the same calls. Mass is good, but damn If I've seen 15 squads at a scene. If there's an Officer down, I buy it. If not....there's no reason for that. This should free up a lot of manpower to go RP good cases that would end in some arrests.

2. Poor RP by the general public. Why are you fleeing if you have no warrant, a valid license, no weapons/drugs? It's poor RP - this should be punished by the admins.  

Now I'm not saying that every report should be investigated to the fullest. There's such a thing as a solvability matrix that's usually done by Detectives, but the same mental checklist is applied to patrol officers as well. They should use it. If IC Dispatchers were ever able to be implemented as a job, this would be a great opportunity to have them basically triage calls, or filter the ones with the best RP potential.  

However, all I ever see is in the photo I attached. 

gta-world-camera-2020-5-25-19-0-23.png

Hey. Not to be rude, but please read the original post of this thread. I stated (and for a good reason) not to post things about individual situations on this thread, because this isn't what it's intended for. What it sounds like you have is a genuine complaint, and that's something that you should file directly with me. Do me a favor and reach out to me in DM's or on discord (Smokey#3454) and if you don't mind please give me the names and details of the officers involved.

This is not behavior that is condoned by any stretch of the imagination,  and I apologize for you having to go through an experience like that.

Also, we already have dispatchers. We're just having issues with having them around consistently and we currently are not recruiting any civilian staff other then CSI technicians because we are reworking our internal infrastructure.

Edited by Big_Smokes
2 hours ago, Big_Smokes said:

Hey. Not to be rude, but please read the original post of this thread. I stated (and for a good reason) not to post things about individual situations on this thread, because this isn't what it's intended for. What it sounds like you have is a genuine complaint, and that's something that you should file directly with me. Do me a favor and reach out to me in DM's or on discord (Smokey#3454) and if you don't mind please give me the names and details of the officers involved.

This is not behavior that is condoned by any stretch of the imagination,  and I apologize for you having to go through an experience like that.

Also, we already have dispatchers. We're just having issues with having them around consistently and we currently are not recruiting any civilian staff other then CSI technicians because we are reworking our internal infrastructure.

My mistake. I was trying to use one example as to why I formed my opinion, but I understand and I apologize. 

I don’t want to file a complaint or anything like that. It’s not necessary. I’ll still reach out eventually though. Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Five-O said:

My mistake. I was trying to use one example as to why I formed my opinion, but I understand and I apologize. 

I don’t want to file a complaint or anything like that. It’s not necessary. I’ll still reach out eventually though. Thanks! 

No problem at all man. I'm only asking because it's easier for us to tackle problems by engaging with those directly responsible rather then sending out generalized messages that might not touch on those that need correcting.

14 hours ago, RolexLV said:

I like that cops on this server acts more like real life cops, not like robocops unlike one of the biggest SAMP servers, (not gonna point fingers, but those who played on SAMP roleplay servers, knows what I'm talking about)

Really glad to hear that man. Hope we keep the positive interactions coming!

Would be nice if LEO's could implement an actual person to be a dispatcher, so you actually talk with a person when you call 911. Aids to the RP and you can always forward the call to the script we already have now if there's no one at the moment to be a dispatcher.

Edited by Medak
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic