The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

The biggest problem I have with PD is how much OOC buddies they are with FD, like last time I got into a situation with FD, where the Fire Marshall pulled some crap (My character, of course, fought back and the situation got worse), I understand that Fire Marshall's are LEOs but some of them just act like a full-blown Robocops. Anyways, the whole situation turned out to be a whole mess, SD was there, they didn't know why in the hell they are there in the first place and I am sure some of them are tired of it. You got PD dudes appeasing their FD buddies and you got the lifeguard that is just... There. Then you got one of the detectives going /b going all happy and make jokes with her fellow Lifeguard buddy (And after this point I already knew it's not going anywhere since the situation involves Lifeguard and the Fire Marshall) so by this, I already knew that my character was going to county regardless even when they didn't have any evidence of my character hitting the Marshall. SD wanted to let me go but the detective was like, "No." mainly because her OOC Lifeguard/FD friends wanted my character in county. Anyways, moral of the story? 

It's unfair how PD take the side of their fellow FD buddies instead of staying realistic, OOC friends really affect IC decisions.

OT: My apologies for this rant like post, but I just wanted to let yall know that this is happening.

Just now, Brujah said:

The biggest problem I have with PD is how much OOC buddies they are with FD, like last time I got into a situation with FD, where the Fire Marshall pulled some crap (My character, of course, fought back and the situation got worse), I understand that Fire Marshall's are LEOs but some of them just act like a full-blown Robocops. Anyways, the whole situation turned out to be a whole mess, SD was there, they didn't know why in the hell they are there in the first place and I am sure some of them are tired of it. You got PD dudes appeasing their FD buddies and you got the lifeguard that is just... There. Then you got one of the detectives going /b going all happy and make jokes with her fellow Lifeguard buddy (And after this point I already knew it's not going anywhere since the situation involves Lifeguard and the Fire Marshall) so by this, I already knew that my character was going to county regardless even when they didn't have any evidence of my character hitting the Marshall. SD wanted to let me go but the detective was like, "No." mainly because her OOC Lifeguard/FD friends wanted my character in county. Anyways, moral of the story? 

It's unfair how PD take the side of their fellow FD buddies instead of staying realistic, OOC friends really affect IC decisions.

OT: My apologies for this rant like post, but I just wanted to let yall know that this is happening.

i'm not entirely sure why FD are being slated in the PD thread, if i'm perfectly honest. this doesn't seem constructive at all, and just seems to serve a purpose to berate both factions without any real foresight as to what you actually want to achieve by posting this?

if you have a problem with this situation, you should go to someone directly. this is for faction-wide criticism, not because you're unhappy with how a situation played out

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, joshua said:

i'm not entirely sure why FD are being slated in the PD thread, if i'm perfectly honest. this doesn't seem constructive at all, and just seems to serve a purpose to berate both factions without any real foresight as to what you actually want to achieve by posting this?

if you have a problem with this situation, you should go to someone directly. this is for faction-wide criticism, not because you're unhappy with how a situation played out

that's not what I am getting at, Josh. 

11 minutes ago, Brujah said:

?

3 minutes ago, Brujah said:

I am saying that, I notice a lot of these situations happening across GTAW. I can take a loss, the only thing that sorta gets to me is how some people just don't put the effort in investigating a situation mainly because their friend is involved. 

Spoiler

I just want to help and improve the community by letting them know what's going on, I am sorry If it didn't come over like that.

Edited by Brujah
29 minutes ago, Brujah said:

In this specific post you mentioned a Fire Marshal, a Lifeguard, maybe a PD detective and two SD guys... and it was all in character besides... a /b joke?

Besides the Fire Marshal you’re taking the entire FD/PD from one interaction which is frankly insane. To sum it up,

1. Take it IC, if you have an issue with individuals, take it to reports to the relevant Faction Leaders.

2. While FD/PD do share some OOC friendships, behind the scenes its a lot less kosher. We’re both gigantic factions and not all our members get along well together. ICly, we have a lot of fights, OOCly, its the same situation. This is just ONE IC interaction out of hundreds per week. And it was barely OOC from your anecdotal evidence.

3. Are you saying that people can’t be friends if they’re from two different legal factions? I’m friends with plenty of PD but my character genuinely hates a few for unrelated reasons. OOC rarely plays a part because its a videogame. This is such an odd rant.

I really implore you to take this to either the faction leaders of each faction or faction management if you feel wronged. At the very least, keep your critism constructive, no one can improve from your post above.

Also this isn’t the place to criticize Fire Marshals, take that to our thread please :).

Edited by KinnyWynny
  • Thanks 1

While all of this is an IC matter and not something for this forum thread, I'll explain why you were arrested ICly and why SD did not just "Let you go". 118. Assault & Battery on a Government Worker. This is what we call a Felony Crime. Felony crimes cannot be dropped by us, they are serious crimes and must be acted upon. That's not an OOC buddy buddy thing, it's an IC thing that can land us in very hot water. Taryn Lane was on scene. She's a very experienced Detective and she made sure that NO ONE let you go. In regards to us just taking FD's side, if a sworn in Fire Marshall tells my character you did it, then as far as she is concerned, you did it. Officer testimony is evidence enough to charge you with that crime.

We have the court system for a reason, if you ICLY don't think you should be charged with something, take it to court. 

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 2
27 minutes ago, SULLI said:

While all of this is an IC matter and not something for this forum thread, I'll explain why you were arrested ICly and why SD did not just "Let you go". 118. Assault & Battery on a Government Worker. This is what we call a Felony Crime. Felony crimes cannot be dropped by us, they are serious crimes and must be acted upon. That's not an OOC buddy buddy thing, it's an IC thing that can land us in very hot water. Taryn Lane was on scene. She's a very experienced Detective and she made sure that NO ONE let you go. In regards to us just taking FD's side, if a sworn in Fire Marshall tells my character you did it, then as far as she is concerned, you did it. Officer testimony is evidence enough to charge you with that crime.

We have the court system for a reason, if you ICLY don't think you should be charged with something, take it to court. 

I just find it odd that a Fire Marshall decided to harass gangmembers around 2AM, but then again, I understand. And I do agree with you, so by this one, apologies.

Just now, Brujah said:

I just find it odd that a Fire Marshall decided to harass gangmembers around 2AM, but then again, I understand. And I do agree with you, so by this one, apologies.

It's all good! ❤️

Los Santos Police
   Our goals for 2020

To all Faction Members,

As I have told most of you in the past, we aim to be as transparent as possible when it comes to the direction of the faction and the goals we set to achieve it. Over the last few months most of you will have heard about these things in passing or during the Chief's hours, but here are our goals in full:

Providing a Realistic Police Roleplaying Experience
Providing a realistic police roleplaying experience through faction portrayal and roleplay quality. Although this has been a topic of contention in the past, the LSPD does not wish to become and will never be a full mirror of the LAPD. It's not feasible and does not fit our universe, however we still believe that being loyal to our real life counterpart where possible should be a focus. When it comes to deciding on cosmetic issues, we will choose to follow the LAPD where we can. It does not hurt anyone where it does provide niche roleplay for those that appreciate it. We will however not implement things simply because the LAPD has them, we aim to take a realistic approach and only adopt what fits our server universe. We're an inner city police department which has gone through the ringer with the consent decree (like the LAPD in real life) that focuses on community policing, good public relations and effective usage of (specialized) resources.

Improving community interaction, institutionalizing police culture and focusing more on roleplay.
Passive roleplay has been a (rightful) point of criticism on our conduct for a long time. The mindset that this faction used to have is a long bid from what it is now, but we feel there is still room for improvement. Over the past few months following the restructure and revamp of the Operations Bureau and it's Field Training Program, we feel like we have already taken gargantuan steps in this direction. Ideas have since continued to flow in and are being adopted as we speak, while both the supervisor and command teams are currently taking serious steps to both improve and showcase this roleplay from a higher level as well. To that end most of these goals go hand in hand, improving on passive roleplay in the short term is from our point of view the gateway to achieving our other goals.

Legitimizing career paths outside of the Operations Bureau and for Civilian Staff.
With the changes made to the Operations Bureau, career paths have already been largely amended for all of our senior staff. Sergeants are now no longer bound to the Operations Bureau which has seen a faction wide increase in productivity, with more dedicated staff stepping up to the plate in Operations while those interested in other areas are now able to put their time forward to working on their focus. When it comes to Civilian Staff, we feel like more drastic steps are necessary to improve the quality of their roles and the retention of Civilian Staff. To combat these issues and improve their quality of life, a new Personnel Division is being created which is going to be led by the first non-law enforcement ''command officer'' and will largely be responsible for managing and training civilian staff in the department. We intend (and already have in some places) to create more leadership positions for civilians in order to legitimize their career paths, to be in line with the total growth of our faction.

Advertising and representing the faction
As has already been made quite evident, there is a value in showcasing our work. This is not just to spark community interest in the faction (although it is a very useful tool for it), but also to restore faith in our faction from a wider community perspective. Although we have already come far from 2018, we feel that everyone that has been a part of this faction so far deserves more praise from the community. Part of that is showing to the community we are willing to improve and already have come a long way, and publicly posting roleplay screenshots is a big part of that. I ask all of you personally to please keep pushing these screenshots on our faction thread which can be found here. MRCAD has been charged with updating and renewing our social media, and a new faction thread is currently in the works.

Reducing busywork, automating systems where possible and updating old material
Nobody likes the forum. I don't like the forum. You don't like the forum. We've always been plagued by paperwork that no matter how small can build up if you don't stay on top of it. We have never liked that, nor should we. Wherever we can as leadership we wish to push these processes to the MDC or automate them where we can. There is no specific area for the faction in mind, we simply wish to make life easier where we can so long as it doesn't forsake the quality of our work. Beyond this we have been pushing for an update of the Los Santos Police Department Manual which is as it stands a bit all over the place and have pushed out our first few handbooks. We currently have many more new handbooks in the works and will continue to add them where and when we can.

Expanding the faction
Alongside the above, we also wish to expand the faction wherever and whenever we can. As the amount of members we have grows, new opportunities will open up to create more areas in game and in the faction. When it comes to divisions, it gives us the unique opportunity to start trialing projects such as the Force Investigation Division, task forces in the Detective Bureau and new patrol areas. The Operations Bureau since it's reinvention has been built on a template that allows for easy expansion, with our next patrol station already having been publicly announced. Rockford and Mission Row will be our first two stations and form the core for our patrol divisions. Our goal is to, as mentioned before, create unique atmospheres around these areas where we can. We want each station to have it's own identity, own people and own style of policing - where possible and not outside departmental standards.

More recognition for individual deeds
Awards and commendations have always been a thing but handing them out has not always been our top priority. Individuals that excel in their jobs however deserve the recognition that comes with these accolades. In order to improve on this, we are looking to streamline this process and implement more diverse routes of recommending people for medals. Furthermore, supervisor and command staff will be continuously encouraged to hand out awards to those that deserve them.

Further improving the quality of training
With the removal of the in game academy, all levels of training are now completely in-service. The Field Training Program now functions as the first place where officers get formal training in the game. The Field Training Program itself has undergone a complete restructure with the sole focus of having officers trained in the game. The current list of learning goals is being expanded on as we speak and will be further tweaked as we go along. The Police Training and Education Division has finally opened it's doors and has started training officers in a variety of courses, with the classroom sessions soon becoming available as well. Our intent is to keep building on these areas and the Personnel and Training Bureau to improve the amount of training available; furthermore, for some levels of progression undergoing and being certified in certain things will become mandatory to further encourage officers to actually attend and undergo additional training where possible.

My personal goals
It has been almost a year since I was assigned to this position. We have had our ups and downs, but so far I feel like everyone has been putting their best foot forward and has made my life a lot easier then it could have been. I want to see this faction achieve the level of roleplay quality we all know it can, and I want to see you all receive the recognition you deserve. Like I've mentioned before in this topic, we've come a long way from the department some people accuse us of being, and I do not intend to let go of this chair until everyone sees what I see in you. Let's go get this bread.

Sincerely,

Chief of Police Charles Hughes aka Big_Smokes

Edited by Big_Smokes
  • Upvote 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 4
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic