The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

I would like to see more police events, and more towards the context of enforcement. I would love for PD to consistently organize more DUI checks and general traffic screening operations at a larger scale, if at all possible. Also I’ve seen a lot of fantastic casework that would make for really amazing stories, maybe it’s worth something for media relations to look into. Departments usually brag about their harder busts, would definitely give the investigations more exposure and credits for the  efforts of those involved.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Dynamite! said:

You literally don’t have the right to search someone for no reason though, in real life you’d be fired lmao. These cops have no fucking idea how America works.

Look up Terry v. Ohio. 

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Terry Search Definition: "A justifiable protective search for weapons, even in the absence of probable cause to arrest, where there is a suspicion that an individual is armed and dangerous."

We can do a brief search, referred to as Terry Frisk or search, whenever we believe that someone has already, is committing or is about to commit a crime. Then again, how is your character going to prove how my character got reasonable suspicion to search your character. It's about reading in between the lines and applying the laws. Sure, it's minor corruption, but how is your CHARACTER going to prove that to Internal Affairs?

What I mean to say is that most searches are legitimate based off of Terry V. Ohio, but you might encounter some people who like to bend the lines surrounding the law to their advantage, and that is also a big part of roleplay. You might know out of character that the law is being broken or bent, but does your character know if they're a 16 year old Chamberlain Hills resident?

Edited by Humour
13 hours ago, Dynamite! said:

You literally don’t have the right to search someone for no reason though, in real life you’d be fired lmao. These cops have no fucking idea how America works.

I agree with what you're saying but the circumstances for getting searched on the server by both PD and SD are dependent on a variety of things. Where are you in the city? what's your history with our agencies looking like? Things such as that.

I can't speak for PD's manual but us over at SD get the most 'important' case law outlined and we're also told to constantly look into and familiarize ourselves with case law that can help us in what we're trying to portray so it's as accurate as possible. At the end of the day, semantics like these can be downplayed if both parties are just willing to follow the flow of the rp. 

1 hour ago, rams said:

I agree with what you're saying but the circumstances for getting searched on the server by both PD and SD are dependent on a variety of things. Where are you in the city? what's your history with our agencies looking like? Things such as that.

I can't speak for PD's manual but us over at SD get the most 'important' case law outlined and we're also told to constantly look into and familiarize ourselves with case law that can help us in what we're trying to portray so it's as accurate as possible. At the end of the day, semantics like these can be downplayed if both parties are just willing to follow the flow of the rp. 

Similarly to SD we have case law in our manual, but we've based our policy off of case law. We don't point out ''you can do x because of y case law'' as that doesn't really make sense in our manual. However we do have a massive system of handbooks that go in depth on these specific subjects, so it's p similar.

Also don't forget that if you're south of the olympic freeway, officers can pretty much abuse the hell out of Illinois vs Wardlow. 

Edited by Big_Smokes

Dynamite! I like you, but you're talking nonsense, and your information is mis-guided. Searches, and case-law in real life are very vague — and for good reason, it allows Police Officers to slick and swerve through certain situations and allow case law to legally back them — it can take a cop about ten seconds to find something relevant and they can legally search you, it's that fast. 

Arrdef, you're wrong. ''Providing qualiy police roleplay'' is an important aspect, and change from a community that spanned years of the complete opposite, just how the entire quality of other communities role play, mentality and demeanor for police factions shifted in just under a year — it's an important quote, and it served a lot of good development and change. I wouldn't belittle it, because if it wasn't for certain people (and their weird quotes) factions would still be as shit as they were. 

Regardless of the comedic value, it's relevant and it should be kept in mind. 

OT: Saw you guys posted a reminder for passive role play, and community policing — good reminder, it's important. I'd argue community policing is the most important aspect of any law enforcement faction, especially in the aspect of ensuring all sides have a fruitful, enjoyable experience. Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic