The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

Just now, aldo said:

There's a difference between patrolling going 5mph so you can see the nametags and descriptions of certain people and then parking up on some block with no interaction with anyone for no reason.

Yeah but what I am saying is nobody is going to interact with people that don't want to interact with them, from an IC and OOC perspective its a waste of time.

2 minutes ago, seizur3 said:

My division in the PD has units solely based to carry out what are called "Crime Suporession Patrols". Are you saying this shouldnt be a thing, because from what you're saying, what my division is doing is working well. On the note of hating the PD, every gang member seems to anyway, I've tried to create passive RP with people in the south, many that are in gangs, but everytime I have you get shunned away, people are asking for more police presence to create RP and less so they can commit crimes, so I'm a bit confused right now.

Just use common sense.

Just now, whowouldwin said:

It's almost like their job is to prevent/stop crime and that's a high crime area.

Their job is to provide quality police roleplay to the server, and as the flagship faction they have a representative function for the entire community.

1 minute ago, whowouldwin said:

Because they can be wherever they please and they have every reason in the world to be in a high crime area.

That's metagaming/mixing IC and OOC. Plenty criminal factions do their actions without getting caught.

Where is your fear that your character would risk being killed just to show he's a badass and shoot his stolen firearm at a cop?

Yes, the police can go wherever they please. In fact, if they wanted to they could run massive organized patrols focused on the gang roleplay areas. They could lock the whole place down, throw people up against the wall. Hell, they could create an outpost there and just sit there all they long, have a helicopter constantly flying over. And have entire tactical elements with support on stand-by for any call to come past. It doesn't mean that they should. It's not whether the gangbangers should fear the cops, or whether the cops should fear the gangbangers. It's not about committing crime without regard. It's the nature of gang roleplay, and the fact that the police is a constant presence there. It's agitating, for both PD and the gang roleplayers. And it's completely avoidable, and unnecessary. 

2 minutes ago, whowouldwin said:

So your solution to prevent crime is to pretend it doesn't happen and let criminals do what they like?

Their job isn't to prevent crime. 

27 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

The county is relatively unpoliced and criminal roleplay flourishes there, the SD responds when they need to. And because of their restraint and lower patrol numbers the interactions you have with them feel much more genuine in ways of chance and circumstance. This should be the same for the south central. Just because the LSPD can do enforcement in that particular area doesn't mean they necessarily should. 

I don't think this is entirely fair to say, considering the activity of LSSD policing in the city.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Kenshi Haroku said:

What if the conflict itself, is the roleplay.

Well, yes, but also no. I don't want to format around your post (I find the quote system on this forum kind of obnoxious to work with) so I'll speak more in generalities.

Yes, there is an inevitable conflict between the active criminal and his crime(s) and the police officer, but role-play itself need not be and is not conflict. There is an immense amount of role-play which is purely social in nature, and that nature of role-play does not ask that somehow we 'one-up' each other for it to be enjoyable. What's enjoyable is the role-play itself: inhabiting a character, participating in an evolving world, et. al.

What's unwritten in your example is all of those details that actually become role-play. You've shown us a situation where one cat chases one mouse and also claim that your drive to catch them is IC, but there's no talk about relaying expression through your character, of having to reconcile with having perhaps lost the suspect, of considering other avenues of investigation to find them, or of camaraderie with your coworkers when the hunt is successful or unsuccessful. By all merits and metrics, your example may as well have been you walking up to the dumpster where the suspect was and typing /cuff. That's the thrill of it, right? Avoiding or placing the handcuffs, respectively?

But it really isn't. It's the hunt, not the catch. It's the textual brush strokes we add in the game world and the performative character building that defines an actual successful role-play. Again: social role-play is abundant, and never asks that somebody 'lose'. Whether the suspect escapes or caught is entirely irrelevant to these realities. If we distill what you've presented, we're left with cops and robbers and not much else. Cops and robbers is great for a dopamine rush, but what makes role-play separate is the emotional connection we get to build through the avatar of our character: again, something entirely unmentioned in your response.

I won't claim that succeeding or failing in these endeavours can't be enjoyable. The trouble is when it becomes the sole motivating factor of your participation. You will eventually 'lose', and it will be much easier to take it in grace and catalyze it into role-play when role-play is the goal. And this fact will be equally true for when you 'win'. 

All this said, the most troubling part of your post to me was that you'd "confirm OoCly" that they role-played their escape properly. It reinforces to me that most people who claim it's their 'characters' who are competitive and want to win are really just aping themselves in the game world, and it's them, the player, who can't let transgressions go.

Just now, Big_Smokes said:

I don't think this is entirely fair to say, considering the activity of LSSD policing in the city.

I agree that it's an unequal comparison, but the county is very active criminally and furthermore the lack of law enforcement definitely has a major effect on how factions develop and interact with each other. It also significantly changes the relationship both IC and OOC. The organized criminal communities in the county are heavily invested in staying off the radar, and ensuring that the police don't have a reason to come around. And when they do come around, it's a very different experience and immediately provokes a heightened state of awareness. In contrast to the urban gang areas, where the sight of a police car generates a frustrated sigh and a reluctance to participate.

At the end of the day it is your faction, and it's all about how you see things. But there's honestly no harm in simply trying and experimenting with the parameters of the LSPD in the context of this conversation. Even if it's just hypothetical. As much as the police don't like cop baiters, criminals don't like crime baiting. 

18 minutes ago, Big_Smokes said:

ALPR doesn't work from that far. I have no idea how he could've gotten your plates from that angle, because ALPR also only works if the vehicle is in front of yours.

So he somehow knew that I had unpaid insurance then I guess?

7 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I agree that it's an unequal comparison, but the county is very active criminally and furthermore the lack of law enforcement definitely has a major effect on how factions develop and interact with each other. It also significantly changes the relationship both IC and OOC. The organized criminal communities in the county are heavily invested in staying off the radar, and ensuring that the police don't have a reason to come around. And when they do come around, it's a very different experience and immediately provokes a heightened state of awareness. In contrast to the urban gang areas, where the sight of a police car generates a frustrated sigh and a reluctance to participate.

At the end of the day it is your faction, and it's all about how you see things. But there's honestly no harm in simply trying and experimenting with the parameters of the LSPD in the context of this conversation. Even if it's just hypothetical. As much as the police don't like cop baiters, criminals don't like crime baiting. 

I can see where you're coming from, but trying an initiative like that is something I can't do just one sided - not anymore. It would require cooperation between us and our sister faction in order to truly succeed. That, and a lot more of things to do around the city that aren't just based in gang land. Although I get what you're saying, I can't ask people to idle all day when there are constant 911 calls coming in from the line below the highway.

2 hours ago, joaoivis said:

C9lY5wN.png

Still don't know the entire point of this cluster fuck of cruisers for just a deceased dude and an officer in need of medic assistance. I see at least four cruisers here that could be patrolling other areas and they are just there standing at the scene doing zero work. These operations need to be more coordinated and organised.

You know the phrase "Assuming makes an ass out of you and me?" That's what I'm reading here. This situation was a shooting where two deputies were already present and one police officer was present. When the shooting was called in, the deputies' acting supervisor (me) arrived. Afterward, detective bureau was called to document the deceased and wounded deputy. I can't speak on PD's behalf, but it's obvious to state that they were likely following the same protocol. So, a total of three peace officers to about ten for an officer involved shooting incident. You want to know the real life response? Please see below.

It's better to ask and get information about a scenario before instantly pulling the negatives out of it to try and make something an issue, that really isn't one to begin with.

image.png.5b4a2a1003fffb9e59d2db4cb6a32d9b.png

image.thumb.png.612da3265d1e532e9a94724c37e9ff7d.png

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, Kenshi Haroku said:

Actualy what you're referring to albeit inaccurately, is probable cause. Reasonable suspicion is the standard of proof used to stop an individual that an officer suspects may be involved in criminal activity for brief investigations. Thus an officer only needs reasonable suspicion that an individual is violating the law to stop them. There are 2 standards of proof, and reasonable suspicion is the lowest one, whilst the one you're inaccurately trying to portray is probable cause which can be articulated with facts. 

You literally don’t have the right to search someone for no reason though, in real life you’d be fired lmao. These cops have no fucking idea how America works.

• Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic