The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

Just now, arrdef said:

Maybe the script should have those house alarms actually produce false positives. Any and all consumer grade system is going to rely on basic things like glass breaking, or an infrared device detecting a movement. There are a lot of things that can make a system think a house intrusion is happening when it isn't; including the owner tripping their own security system.

A sort of mean-time before false positive could be productive and force the right mindset, and is realistic. Automatic alarm systems do produce a lot of false positives due to their design and inexperienced users.

Considering I work in this field and actually respond to burglary alarms IRL I feel qualified to comment on this albeit anecdotal. I've been doing this for 4 years. The only property I have that was consistently giving out a false alarm is a county work yard because of a nest of kittens on the property edge that would trigger sensors. We just removed the nest. Other than that, I rarely get false alarms. False alarms are rare for me, if they were common the system would be trash. Apart from that county yard I've had only 3 residential property owners accidentally trip their own alarm on account of them being intoxicated, of which they all called up to confirm with their pin that it was a false alarm. Every time I respond to an alarm, it's always someone triggering it that shouldn't be there.

https://www.sonitrol.com/news-resources/understanding-false-alarm-issues

This article has statistics.

https://www.surpriseaz.gov/3151/False-Alarm-Ordinance

This one is not from a manufacturer, so the statistics are more likely to be true.

And while accurate statistics are hard to come by, many other sources corroborate this. My own IRL experience also does. I think you might be the outlier here.

Edited by arrdef
13 hours ago, eTaylor said:

What’s your criminal history? I get a bunch of PD cars behind me on traffic stops but that’s usually because I’ve been violent and they’ve caught me with guns and drugs before.

Fresh character bud. I get it, everyone is here to RP at the end of the day and the PD want to get there taste of the action but it can kinda kill others experiences in the process. 

As someone with a fairly varied history of role-playing and administration across various GMod an MTA RP servers, I've kinda taken a look for something different - I've never been in an LEO before outside of an ill fated term at rG before it died in 2012.

There's two problems for me though - I live in a household of 5 where I've gotta be conscious of not waking people up or just disturbing them, so it can be awkward to use a microphone. The other issue is that I can't usually get on until the late hours - usually after 2300/2400 GMT 0 UK time and I know the app thread typically says you need to be available at specific dates and, more concerning for me, specific times.

Is there any flexibility on this? I'm more than capable of crafting and writing a solid char concept and developing it along, would this matter if I went into a little more depth? I have a few real commitments at home (disabled/ill family) so always gotta put them first - I don't see why this should shut me out from playing a cop.

Edited by Zombiedude101
10 minutes ago, Zombiedude101 said:

As someone with a fairly varied history of role-playing and administration across various GMod an MTA RP servers, I've kinda taken a look for something different - I've never been in an LEO before outside of an ill fated term at rG before it died in 2012.

There's two problems for me though - I live in a household of 5 where I've gotta be conscious of not waking people up or just disturbing them, so it can be awkward to use a microphone. The other issue is that I can't usually get on until the late hours - usually after 2300/2400 GMT 0 UK time and I know the app thread typically says you need to be available at specific dates and, more concerning for me, specific times.

Is there any flexibility on this? I'm more than capable of crafting and writing a solid char concept and developing it along, would this matter if I went into a little more depth? I have a few real commitments at home (disabled/ill family) so always gotta put them first - I don't see why this should shut me out from playing a cop.

The only "commitments" are showing up to the academy, after that, you get an exam on your own time. There's two academy sessions usually, per drive.

After that, it's all your own time.

Secondly, we do require mics, but they arent always needed. Usually just when updating during a pursuit.

Edited by ZFusco
7 minutes ago, ZFusco said:

The only "commitments" are showing up to the academy, after that, you get an exam on your own time. There's two academy sessions usually, per drive.

After that, it's all your own time.

Secondly, we do require mics, but they arent always needed. Usually just when updating during a pursuit.

The issue is that those sessions usually take place in the evening when I'm not able to get on.

• Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic