The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

34 minutes ago, Ministry said:

The quantity of response units is definitely something worth looking into. I've had 3 units sat behind me for a routine traffic stop before which is just unnecessary. However have to say the RP I've experienced from individuals in the PD has been top notch.

What’s your criminal history? I get a bunch of PD cars behind me on traffic stops but that’s usually because I’ve been violent and they’ve caught me with guns and drugs before.

Realism. 

LSPD on GTAW is equal to LSPR in 2014-15. In order to achieve immersion, you should strive to portray the LAPD. Otherwise, it's nothing but cringe.

This is based on my experience, though. Which was a year or something ago. Dunno if you changed some of your outdated policies, but yeah.

3 hours ago, Estes said:

Realism. 

LSPD on GTAW is equal to LSPR in 2014-15. In order to achieve immersion, you should strive to portray the LAPD. Otherwise, it's nothing but cringe.

This is based on my experience, though. Which was a year or something ago. Dunno if you changed some of your outdated policies, but yeah.

What do you base that on? And the LSPD on LSRP are horrible. The community is toxic and the roleplay equally unpleasant. While @Big_Smokes and his team base most of their stuff off the real department, they have done an excellent job retaining their own unique image with the practical adaptation of game systems. The LSPD on LSRP is not realistic, and I’m glad we don’t have a department based entirely off PR and google like it’s holy. 

3 hours ago, Estes said:

Realism. 

You basically just made a blind post based off an outdated experience rather than reading what changes have been made or basing off of recent interactions. This post doesn't really bring much value. Saying "realism" is poor constructive criticism. 

• Upvote 1

The RP quality, and equally importantly, OOC attitude of GTAW's LSPD is miles better than whatever version of LS-RP's, including the current one. It's stupid to try to even compare the two when LS-RP, as mentioned, mindlessly copies whatever is found on lapdonline.com and couch it in an OOC feeling of superiority.

I agree that the overwhelming number of units that respond to certain calls can be a little off-putting. A house burglary in a busy american city would most likely get a visit from a detective, or maybe two officers. A basic trespassing call would seldom involve more than 1 unit.

Due to the size of the playing area (mostly south LS), and the size of the PD faction, we instead get four to five units to routine calls. This is justified when a lot of manpower is needed to secure a scene, but not othewise.

It doesn't appear to be done out of a play to win mindset, it's just because LSPD has so many available units at any given time. Maybe those extra units can be used for non-emergency purposes related to community policing or crime suppression, instead of as a reserve to swarm to the latest niner.

A limitation of primary responding units, and maybe a script that delays 911 calls in some cases (?) could be an answer. IRL (whether in LA, NY, Philadelphia, whatever), police response is not instant nor impressively numerous for simple calls.

Edited by arrdef
Just now, arrdef said:

The RP quality, and equally importantly, OOC attitude of GTAW's LSPD is miles better than whatever version of LS-RP's, including the current one. It's stupid to try to even compare the two when LS-RP, as mentioned, mindlessly copies whatever is found on lapdonline.com and couch it in an OOC feeling of superiority.

I agree that the overwhelming number of units that respond to certain calls can be a little off-putting. A house burglary in a busy american city would most likely get a visit from a detective, or maybe two officers. A basic trespassing call would seldom involve more than 1 unit.

Due to the size of the playing area (mostly south LS), and the size of the PD faction, we instead get four to five units to routine calls. This is justified when a lot of manpower is needed to secure a scene, but not othewise.

A limitation of responding units, and maybe a script that delays 911 calls in some cases (?) could be an answer. IRL, police response is not instant.

As a supervisor, limiting responding units is often done. There are however cases, e.g anywhere south of the Olympic Freeway, where I will have extra units on scene just in case. With respect to your house burglary, are those in progress or retrospectively? Whilst not an exact comparison due to the difference in styles of policing, we will often only send one patrol / unit to an old burglary, whereas an active alarm will get most of the shift responding. 

Even house alarms for ongoing intrusions would seldom get "most of the shift responding", since those alarms have an absurdly high rate of false positives. It's still going to be a once-over from the night shift detective. You have to have the mindset that, yes a house alarm can be dangerous and sometimes is, but most of the time, your perp is a raccoon or something; 5 units responding to a gust of wind or hungry animal does not look good on reports.

911 calls are a different beast, since at least someone is confirmed to be in danger there. But it still won't involve a fuck-you level of responding units.

While I understand GTAW's crime is way more violent than any IRL counterpart, additional units can always respond with seconds of delay when things do go south.

Edited by arrdef
10 minutes ago, arrdef said:

Even house alarms for ongoing intrusions would seldom get "most of the shift responding", since those alarms have an absurdly high rate of false positives. It's still going to be a once-over from the night shift detective. You have to have the mindset that, yes a house alarm can be dangerous and sometimes is, but most of the time, your perp is a raccoon or something; 5 units responding to a gust of wind or hungry animal does not look good on reports.

911 calls are a different beast, since at least someone is confirmed to be in danger there. But it still won't involve a fuck-you level of responding units.

While I understand GTAW's crime is way more violent than any IRL counterpart, additional units can always respond with seconds of delay when things do go south.

The issue is - there's very little to no chance of house alarms being false positives due to the way it is scripted and given that, I don't see how we'd necessarily tackle the problem - do we just stop responding to them, knowing both IC (from many, many house alarms being true positives) and OOC (from the way it's scripted) that there's a 99% chance it's an actual burglary?

Maybe the script should have those house alarms actually produce false positives. Any and all consumer grade system is going to rely on basic things like glass breaking, or an infrared device detecting a movement. There are a lot of things that can make the system think an intrusion is happening when it isn't; including the owner tripping their own security system.

More advanced systems like in museums actually rely on removal of items (paintings are hanged on electronic receptables constantly checking their presence), but they come with their own human security anyway. The risk of a false positive is significantly reduced with these systems; but they're also way too impractical to protect your everyday home. Law enforcement would obviously respond sooner to an alarm the LA Museum of Arts than to some house in a bad neighborhood.

A strategy burglars use even involves tripping security over and over, in order to fatigue law enforcement into ignoring calls generated by that location. This is why serious security systems come with private security guards who are paid to respond to every alarm, no matter the circumstances. Law enforcement won't have that dedication.

A sort of mean-time before false positives could be productive and force the right mindset, and is realistic. Automatic alarm systems do produce a lot of false positives due to their design and inexperienced users.

Edited by arrdef
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic