The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

2 hours ago, Gambler said:

This thread could've easily been an IC event for more interaction with PD. Like a community day where you meet with civilians and hear them out.  
My feedback? Continue what you're doing, enforce the law on daily basis, or in another commonly used term...be "robocops". 
What I want to see is PD be more HUMAN like, starting from the Chief of PD logging IG.

PD has community meetups already.

4 hours ago, Gambler said:

This thread could've easily been an IC event for more interaction with PD. Like a community day where you meet with civilians and hear them out.  
My feedback? Continue what you're doing, enforce the law on daily basis, or in another commonly used term...be "robocops". 
What I want to see is PD be more HUMAN like, starting from the Chief of PD logging IG.

The chiefs do log in but on more reasonable, lower-rank alternative characters. It's just not feasible for them to log on as the actual Chief characters frequently as all they'd be able to do is desk work. Chiefs do not patrol in the field, except for rare occasions.

32 minutes ago, bigpimping said:

Start with roleplaying some sort of human-like emotion after murdering a group of people or witnessing your partners get gunned down, instead of typing "Fucking retard" ic and /me shakes his head.

I’ve seen this more than once. It can go both ways. I’ve seen cops who have less emotion, but they’ve been a cop for 30 years and have pretty much seen it all.

This is not the case for most cops on this server though. If people are role playing cops who have no experience or only a few years they should be role playing much more human emotion into their actions or situations. 

The intention isn’t to criticize, more so provide some insight. I know there are a lot of moving parts and people can’t be watched all the time. There needs to be accountability though. So who do we report people to that we feel are doing this? RP Quality? Faction report?

Edited by Giles
55 minutes ago, Giles said:

I’ve seen this more than once. It can go both ways. I’ve seen cops who have less emotion, but they’ve been a cop for 30 years and have pretty much seen it all.

This is not the case for most cops on this server though. If people are role playing cops who have no experience or only a few years they should be role playing much more human emotion into their actions or situations. 

The intention isn’t to criticize, more so provide some insight. I know there are a lot of moving parts and people can’t be watched all the time. There needs to be accountability though. So who do we report people to that we feel are doing this? RP Quality? Faction report?

I believe it's the faction that's at fault here for taking people with no RP standards in. There's plenty more issues such as doing PIT maneuvers at 100mph in busy streets in the middle of the city or on mountains, trigger happy mentality, pulling someone over and then shooting as soon as they drive off, pulling people over outside the roads and etc. This isn't just done by a few cops. In my experience, the whole faction is full of people that display this ridiculous level of "role-play". For this issue to be solved some sort of change needs to happen in the leadership itself, standards need to be raised to ensure quality members. Maybe the members need to watch how actual LAPD operates or how this faction functions in other servers.

2 hours ago, bigpimping said:

I believe it's the faction that's at fault here for taking people with no RP standards in. There's plenty more issues such as doing PIT maneuvers at 100mph in busy streets in the middle of the city or on mountains, trigger happy mentality, pulling someone over and then shooting as soon as they drive off, pulling people over outside the roads and etc. This isn't just done by a few cops. In my experience, the whole faction is full of people that display this ridiculous level of "role-play". For this issue to be solved some sort of change needs to happen in the leadership itself, standards need to be raised to ensure quality members. Maybe the members need to watch how actual LAPD operates or how this faction functions in other servers.

anecdotal stories, or scenarios rather, lacking context are incredible valuable in an argument, as we all know. 

perhaps it's just time to hop off the double standard bandwagon, and recognize that, while law enforcement factions have a greater responsibility given the power they have over other players, which is why they're always going to be heavily scrutinized over every mistake, they're also not so different from any other officially recognized faction. they judge a player and a character based on their application and brief initial impressions, and let's just be real, good first impressions are easily fluked. that goes for any faction though, i've seen my share of mobsters, gang homies and whatnot, go from roleplaying a textbook example of their brand of rp, to the complete opposite when they felt comfortable to do so. it's only as time goes by, and reports from faction members AND outsiders pour in, that factions sort out those that aren't up to par.

official LE factions and illegal factions arguably have a equally high standard for roleplay, although with one key exception: literally ANYONE can just apply. there aren't weeks or months of vetting in the form of roleplay preceding the possibly of entering the faction's "inner circle". you, as in neither the player, nor your character have to be exceptionally smart, charismatic, original or particularly imaginative in order to get in with law enforcement. is just a job, if you look at it from IC perspective. and as long as your character fulfills the requirement, there are arguably more factors in place ensuring you get a fair chance at employment, than restrictions.

all of the above just comes with the nature of emulating LE agencies, and those are just some of the difficulties that come with it. and unless you have a revolutionary concept in mind, with which we could change all of that, it's probably gonna stay that way too.  

Edited by Five-oh
3 hours ago, bigpimping said:

2 things. Make sure you understand the situation entirely, and make sure you’re not mistaking a rubber bullet shotgun for a real shotgun, or a tazer.

If we unjustifiably shot someone, we’d be investigated and fired. So yeah, bring us some hard facts and don’t throw that garbage around.

And we're back to needless faction bashing, if you wish to make claims like this A.) Provide evidence so we can see this happening. B.) Report this behaviour, part of this thread specifically states to report this so it can be dealt with by both PD leadership and the admin team.

Edited by Syrike
On 3/24/2020 at 6:55 AM, Henning said:

More press releases and communication from PD please! 

Officer involved shooting? Press released, high speed chase? Press release, drug raid? Press release.

Maybe introduce a weekly press briefing with someone from the department, this way news organizations can put forward IC questions on a regular basis. Possibly even consider running it like a court trial (Through the forums over the course of a day or two) to conserve time and resources?

I tried the weekly press briefings before when the two big news agencies were still around, but unfortunately they've imploded. We've been working on getting back on track with the media ever since. Definitely something we're keeping our eyes on though!

On 3/24/2020 at 6:56 PM, Gambler said:

I actually have 1.5 ABAS and used to have 3.0 before this March. Log in plenty, just isn't much to do besides political stuff, hang around with my character's IC friends & attend events. You're not gonna see the big chuck in a patrol car hanging out in gangland I'm afraid

Edited by Big_Smokes
10 minutes ago, Big_Smokes said:

I tried the weekly press briefings before when the two big news agencies were still around, but unfortunately they've imploded. We've been working on getting back on track with the media ever since. Definitely something we're keeping our eyes on though!

We'd be happy to work something out soon tm if you're interested of course. But its a case of time and stuffs, we're all busy lately ?

• Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic