The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

23 minutes ago, Ryoichi said:

I wish the recruitment process was less focused on grammar. When you look at the amount of denied applications you'd see that most of them are denied due to grammatical errors in their "Interview" or their application. I understand one needs to be able to type in English to be able to communicate on this server. How ever, some of us have not been raised speaking English and have a rather big disadvantage trying to get through the recruitment stage when the recruiters mainly look at spelling rather then how one would perform as a police officer. This is probably done due to the sheer amount of applications the faction gets per recruitment cycle but even though this is the case it feels a bit unfair for people not born into the language. 

This feels a bit like profiling to me which causes those from different countries, where English is not the main language, to be left out of the faction. you can notice it too when you look at the amount of people in the department that are from the US or UK on teamspeak, the most icons you will see will be US flag or the British flag. 

I myself have been denied multiple times due to "Grammatical Errors" even though i feel that my English is not as bad as they make it out to be and i feel it is up to par to be able to role play as a law enforcement officer. 

I think it's important that those of us that aren't native English (myself included) have to also remember that when on-duty we have to react to things pretty quickly which includes trying to de-escalate and prevent dangerous scenarios from happening. You have to be crystal clear in your text to ensure no wires are crossed and that every party understands what you're saying. On top of that, you need to relay your messages quickly as time is of the essence and not everyone will have the patience for you to sit and think of a reply.

It can be stressful for a non-native English person to jump into the role of an officer where you deal with a lot more situations than you would if you were playing a random civilian. On top of the in-game situations, we have a tonne of OOC work with Incident Reports, Arrest Reports, Traffic Reports, Impound Reports, Death Reports - it's a heck of a lot of writing that other people /need/ to be able to read without struggling to understand what has been written down. So while I can understand your frustration (I've been there myself), I think it's important that a certain standard is upheld. 

We actually have a lot of people from Europe that aren't native English speakers. Teamspeak is a wide variety of Europeans and finding an American is actually pretty rare! (I know this because we desperately tried to find American's to record voice lines in the LSPD video and it was a nightmare!) 

Being on a roleplay server gives you the perfect opportunity to better your English. When I started roleplaying back during SA:MP days, my English was awful! I only ever played mute characters at the start and focused on my /me's. Eventually I would introduce characters that knew very little English until I felt comfortable with progressing. 

I admire /anyone/ attempting to better their English on the server and I will personally stand there all day to not pressure someone into feeling like they have to rush or are being judged. But a certain standard must be met if you're going to be representing a faction such as the LSPD and as much as it's difficult to hear, I think it's a reasonable requirement on behalf of the recruitment team. 

Roleplay is amazing because it let's you practice your English while having fun! 

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
On 12/22/2019 at 12:13 PM, aldo said:

Police need to do something about the mallrats that get wasted at a bar and then drive home like nothing happened, or PLM needs to.

Police also need to stop suddenly going from 30 km/h past a group of hoodlums to tapping W as they drive past them, shit is retarded

To address the second point, in a text roleplay server you have to make certain concessions when it comes to movement, especially when driving as it takes time for people to type.

Slowing down to pass a group has several benefits both IC and OOC:

• OOC: Allows interaction between both through emotes. (The range of what you'd 'see' is far greater than /me distance).
  • OOC: Depending on graphics settings, allows you to actually make out faces/tattoos that'd be much easier to see IRL.
  • IC: Officer presence, meaning you slow down to make it known you're in the area to deter crime.
  • IC: Some areas of South LS are known for people running around/at cruisers. If you're going at speed there may be a chance you hit them (OOC: Plus desync around people could be issues).

I also think its kind of crazy that a faction gets to dictate whether a background story is unrealistic or not, They are not admins. 

Lets take my background story for example. 

I applied as a male who is 30 years old, that has worked at a private detective firm for 6 years. 

He did not own the firm and was only working there. giving him 24 years to get some degrees and then 6 years of work. 

Due to a circumstances (his brother being shot and killed) he decided to want to change his occupation to some thing more worth while, something that gets him out of the meaningless cases he was getting in the firm. 

I have used this character to perform the role of private detective in-game and couldn't change the fact that he is a private detective even if i wanted it to since that would be power gaming. (kind of like making a character go from Caucasian to a African american male ) 

I now get denied from the recruitment process due to my character having been a private detective and that it was unrealistic for him to be one?!?and then they also throw in the fact that my capability in the English language is not up to par?  

now i need to wait a month to be able to apply again and they condone that i change my background story to something more to their liking. 

I don't really understand what any of this has to do with my capabilities of performing the role of a police officer or anything that ICLY would make me unfit for the job. Its just ooc dictating what and who my character should be in their eyes. 

Edited by Ryoichi
38 minutes ago, Ryoichi said:

I also think its kind of crazy that a faction gets to dictate whether a background story is unrealistic or not, They are not admins. 

I applied as a male who is 30 years old, that has worked at a private detective firm for 6 years. 

He did not own the firm and was only working there. giving him 24 years to get some degrees and then 6 years of work. 

Due to a circumstances (his brother being shot and killed) he decided to want to change his occupation to some thing more worth while, something that gets him out of the meaningless cases he was getting in the firm. 

I have used this character to perform the role of private detective in-game and couldn't change the fact that he is a private detective even if i wanted it to since that would be power gaming. (kind of like making a character go from Caucasian to a African american male ) 

I now get denied from the recruitment process due to my character having been a private detective and that it was unrealistic for him to be one?!?and then they also throw in the fact that my capability in the English language is not up to par?  

now i need to wait a month to be able to apply again and they condone that i change my background story to something more to their liking. 

I don't really understand what any of this has to do with my capabilities of preforming the role of a police officer or anything that ICLY would make me unfit for the job. Its just ooc dictating what and who my character should be in their eyes. 

In regards to character portrayal, I believe every faction in the server has the same right to include or exclude characters based on how realistic and believable they're perceived to be. If it's believed that a character couldn't have possibly done some of the things that are listed, then we will ask for OOC changes to the story for a more realistic feel to the character. I cannot speak to your individual case, but if you want to appeal the decision, there are ways to do so listed on our forums.

As far as command over the English language goes, unfortunately, it is imperative that you have a very strong ability to write in English - especially given the time sensitive nature of the roleplay that we take part in. Not only for your sake, but for the sake of others. We want to give people the best impression possible when interacting with the faction, and one of the key components of that is strong, clear writing that doesn't confuse people. We have two to three key parts where we try to discern how much of an ability you have in regards to the English language. It starts with the personal statement on the application. Next, we go into a departmental interview where our main objective is to learn about your character, while also observing your roleplay and writing ability. Finally, we have the police academy, where the main point is to discern your capability for realistic roleplay and quick, accurate writing.

Unfortunately for some people, their ability to write just isn't up to par with what we require. There are countless ways to improve your command over the English language. We usually suggest attempting to before trying to apply again.

• Upvote 2
52 minutes ago, Ryoichi said:

I don't really understand what any of this has to do with my capabilities of performing the role of a police officer or anything that ICLY would make me unfit for the job. Its just ooc dictating what and who my character should be in their eyes. 

They should be able to judge your character background, it doesn't make sense for a former Lieutenant or Captain from one agency to start over as a Police Officer I through recruitment. Some people just have a character background that doesn't add up or simply put things together but you have to remember that the people you interact within the department and the public will have to roleplay you and also accept the fact that you had such a background. What I personally do not agree with is that they allow you to change your entire story so it suits, especially when it is a older character where you already roleplayed with. If you roleplayed for like months and you introduced to people you were a private detective, but then all of a sudden you change the entire story so the LSPD accept it, then it would just be weird for the people you RPed with. That's just my ten cents.

• Upvote 1

if the LSPD didnt regulate background stories every cunt in the fac would be a 6'4 beast (including the women) who has been in the army for 24 years despite being only 26 and has over 10000 confirmed kills and was also the president of the united states.

Nah but seriously, they do and should have the right to want realistic background stories & to turn unrealistic characters away. They're a faction like all of the other factions on the server. They want quality roleplayers who know what they're portraying so that this doesn't become like 2013 era LSPD on LSRP with a fucking british chief of police and a fleet of cheetahs for when they cant catch somebody.

Edited by El Ghetto Man
  • Upvote 1
On 1/18/2020 at 12:14 PM, Tseard said:

They should be able to judge your character background, it doesn't make sense for a former Lieutenant or Captain from one agency to start over as a Police Officer I through recruitment

Then don’t try to cut off the development by rping a high rank transfer ?‍♂️

Just now, Tseard said:

don't get  what you mean, I'm sorry.

No problem. I’m saying if you want to rp joining the pd don’t rp being a former Lieutenant or captain. Start low, follow the process every one else takes. I wouldn’t let someone join a faction of mine if they had rp’d being a member for xyz many years in the hopes they could skip a few ranks.

2 minutes ago, Max3 said:

No problem. I’m saying if you want to rp joining the pd don’t rp being a former Lieutenant or captain. Start low, follow the process every one else takes. I wouldn’t let someone join a faction of mine if they had rp’d being a member for xyz many years in the hopes they could skip a few ranks.

No exactly, we're on the same line there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic