The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

3 minutes ago, Westen said:

To address your first point, if they haven't used the item, the breathalyzer script won't do anything, and if we ask in /do and they say 0.00% BAC there's nothing we can do, and no way for us to prove it. If you have specific examples, please refer this to PLM.

To address your second point, driving past high crime rate areas at a slow speed is useful for a number of reasons - one, it allows you to get a look at the people. If you're looking for a person, or vehicle in a crowd, you're not going to get this going at 30. Secondly, it's useful for crime suppression as they're less likely to commit crime knowing they're being watched. Other people may have different opinions on this, and I'm open to discussion about why it may or may not be a viable tactic.

Got you.

PLM boutta ban whole server

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, OhSoFly said:

It would be great if on-duty police didn't casually walk into open businesses like they were off duty or civilians. I think in real life an officer would be questioned by the department for entering bars without a valid reason or purpose while on duty.

There is no law that states any such thing. If anything, while a business is being operated, it is perfectly acceptable for a police officer to walk into the part of the business that is open to the public just like anyone else is. I don't have any context to what you are referring to or why the officers were there. Like Westen said, there may be a 101 different reasons for the officer to walk into the publicly available area of any business.

14 hours ago, aldo said:

Police need to do something about the mallrats that get wasted at a bar and then drive home like nothing happened, or PLM needs to.

Police also need to stop suddenly going from 30 km/h past a group of hoodlums to tapping W as they drive past them, shit is retarded

LOL although I get what you mean we're not here to police the server. If anyone breaks server rules by not properly following the results of imbibing alcoholic beverages, then that is very much up to administration to deal with. In fact there is nothing we can do when players just not decide to roleplay the results of drinking alcohol besides reporting them on scene.

I think Westen already covered the other part. I'm a bit ''meh'' on it because I'm not a big fan of it either. That's not policy, though, that's just my opinion. I teach people to do it as little as possible because it's a dead giveaway. But sometimes there are reasons for doing so. Especially if you're looking for a specific person and need to have a good look.

u should still set up those lil raids to check on ppl leaving clubs, tho. i fondly remember this rave like earlier this year (during the winter i think) when there were cones n stuff everywhere n ppl were getting tested. fond memory, not the usual elegy retro chase or killing manuel ortiga in jamestown

16 hours ago, Westen said:

There are 101 reasons why a cop might enter a bar and the reasoning might not be immediately apparent. When you say "businesses" do you mean just bars and clubs, or all businesses?

I will say that I have seen multiple instances of officers walking into a business, saying nothing as they circle the room. Literally only asking to see the bathroom so they can also check for their suspect then exiting, barely having said anything to anyone.

16 hours ago, aldo said:

Police also need to stop suddenly going from 30 km/h past a group of hoodlums to tapping W as they drive past them, shit is retarded

IDK why your complaining about this? They do the same thing in real life as well. Also I know your area @aldo, there's normally a group of people in front of each apartment complex. It makes sense for them to slow down around people and groups so they can effectively survey the group for possible issues.

However PD does need to be a little more discreet on their reactions while driving vehicles. Slamming on your breaks and putting it in reverse for a block in a half is incredibly immersion breaking just for how odd it looks in game. I would suggest officers find more creative ways to double back to a group.

I'd like to point out that the routine traffic stops I've been involved in have ranged from decent to great, in term of roleplayed gestures, stances, and general attitude, so major props to that. There's clearly been an IC and OOC effort on that front, and it shows.

As far as walking into bars and/or places of business with very little interaction, I can also attest to that happening every now and then. It's likely not a few people but the majority of the faction that does it from time to time when they're bored.
Although in principle that's not bad, it could easily be something better. If you're going to walk into a bar or into the garbage depot, and there are people there, at least stop by for a chat. Community policing.

Edited by arrdef

Re: Going into buildings. For clarification on this because I've witnessed a few odd scenarios: 

Police Officers can enter a place of business that is open to the public, but only those areas which are clearly open and accessible to the public, especially while on legitimate police business. They do not need a warrant to go into any publicly accessible section of your bar. This is not a thing.  They do, however, require exigent circumstances or a warrant to enter the staff only sections of your business. 

Second point, officers entering and looking around and immediately leaving. Typically, officers enter a business for one of three reasons: They are a customer. They are doing an immediate sweep for a suspect they reasonably believe to be there, or community relations work.  Officers can and will enter, do a sweep, look for the person, then leave. This isn't them not wanting to roleplay, per-se, but that they want to get in and out as quickly as possible to minimise disruption to your business. And also because they're likely horribly busy and having a chat at a crowded club/bar is not a priority at that time.  If you're a bar or club you're not typically going to encounter the other two; community relations officers are not going to engage in community relations with a bar/strip club in downtown Vinewood and officers do not typically purchase alcohol on duty.

So, I hope this has cleared up officers going into businesses for people.

Edited by Sam2
  • Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Sam2 said:

Re: Going into buildings. For clarification on this because I've witnessed a few odd scenarios: 

Police Officers can enter a place of business that is open to the public, but only those areas which are clearly open and accessible to the public, especially while on legitimate police business. They do not need a warrant to go into any publicly accessible section of your bar. This is not a thing.  They do, however, require exigent circumstances or a warrant to enter the staff only sections of your business. 

Second point, officers entering and looking around and immediately leaving. Typically, officers enter a business for one of three reasons: They are a customer. They are doing an immediate sweep for a suspect they reasonably believe to be there, or community relations work.  Officers can and will enter, do a sweep, look for the person, then leave. This isn't them not wanting to roleplay, per-se, but that they want to get in and out as quickly as possible to minimise disruption to your business. And also because they're likely horribly busy and having a chat at a crowded club/bar is not a priority at that time.  If you're a bar or club you're not typically going to encounter the other two; community relations officers are not going to engage in community relations with a bar/strip club in downtown Vinewood and officers do not typically purchase alcohol on duty.

So, I hope this has cleared up officers going into businesses for people.

You don’t have to say anything but you should RP through /me’s. Everybody knows what it looks like when someone is trying to metagame nametags.

6 hours ago, Henning said:

You don’t have to say anything but you should RP through /me’s. Everybody knows what it looks like when someone is trying to metagame nametags.

Hi. My post specifically addressed why x thing happens not the specifics of how people RP it. If you have any instances of individual PD members not roleplaying correctly, or generally roleplaying poorly, we have a roleplay quality complaint form you can fill out on the PD site. Alternatively, I believe smokey has said their DM/PM's are always open if you want to report individual cases of poor OOC conduct so they can be handled.

Edited by Sam2
  • 4 weeks later...

I wish the recruitment process was less focused on grammar. When you look at the amount of denied applications you'd see that most of them are denied due to grammatical errors in their "Interview" or their application. I understand one needs to be able to type in English to be able to communicate on this server. How ever, some of us have not been raised speaking English and have a rather big disadvantage trying to get through the recruitment stage when the recruiters mainly look at spelling rather then how one would perform as a police officer. This is probably done due to the sheer amount of applications the faction gets per recruitment cycle but even though this is the case it feels a bit unfair for people not born into the language. 

This feels a bit like profiling to me which causes those from different countries, where English is not the main language, to be left out of the faction. you can notice it too when you look at the amount of people in the department that are from the US or UK on teamspeak, the most icons you will see will be US flag or the British flag. 

I myself have been denied multiple times due to "Grammatical Errors" even though i feel that my English is not as bad as they make it out to be and i feel it is up to par to be able to role play as a law enforcement officer. 

Edited by Ryoichi
  • Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic