The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

36 minutes ago, Jedai said:

This is something that is being stressed upon however as always, something like this is of course a two way street. At least in my interactions with people on a lower ranking character in the department, people are being a lot more receptive to community relations from Police Officers however it's still not at a place where we want it yet. Just need more community leaders (I stress people who are roleplaying people who are vocal activists in their communities and not only running for political office), and of course more people who do roleplay people who are willing to interact with the Police outside of "Fuck twelve", "insert derogatory comment" and of course cops to not just go "stupid gangbanger" "insert derogatory comment here" and of course for civilians to be a little bit more understanding on how the Police work. It's always been strange to me but I tend to see more issues arise out of hostile behavior from people roleplayin legal characters than the people roleplaying illegal ones.

Yeah, I get your frustration. There will always be people on the other side who don't understand the concept either, which isn't your fault if you're going out of your way to try your best to talk to these communities. My advice to you (and how I took it in my stride previously) is to put your focus on the people who do give you something back to role play around, the ones who do interact with you and let you do your job properly. 

Don't waste your energy on the people who don't care for it — keep it for the people who do. 

31 minutes ago, Big_Smokes said:

I think I already replied to this and / or posted my own version of this argument that I published in an internal memo a few months ago. But just to reiterate, here goes:

''More and higher quality interaction with the media: Together with MRCAD we are working on creating media trainings for (higher ranking) officers and those assigned to MRCAD, in order to improve the level of information we provide the outside world, create more transparency and have better logistics when it comes to dealing with the media in general.
Continued emphasis on community policing: As the community has stated through different means over the past year, they feel like we could do a better job at community policing, and the LSPD command team agrees. We will be working with areas such as Media Relations and Community Affairs, Gang and Narcotics and Operations Bureau on improving the training we provide to our officers that deal with communities on a daily basis.
Create more civilian staff positions: To improve the level of support we provide in the field, the LSPD staff team has been working tirelessly with Human Resources and areas such as the Detective Bureau to create more worthwhile civilian staff positions in the department. The specifics will be announced by HR when they are ready to present our new programs.
And there is a lot more to come: Obviously I would love to lay out all the plans we currently have, but some of them have to remain under wraps until we can provide you with a better idea of what we intend to do. Other things are simply not properly fleshed out enough at this point and require more attention before we can announce them.''

Obviously this attacks it from a different angle but it's basically the same. Work in progress!

Continued emphasis on community policing:

It's good that you guys are pushing this, it's definitely important. The problem I have always had with it and putting it in motion on a unit/faction-wide scale is that it needs to be pushed heavily. Unit leaders need to pursue it for their faction members, guides, notices and ways to approach and talk to people are needed. 

I wouldn't say there's much ''training'' per se that needs to be given in my opinion, it's merely making people (within the faction) understand how to properly talk to people in-game, which for some people is a struggle. Some people just don't know how to engage into a conversation from an officer to a random person, they don't know what to say, how to say it or when to say it and it's not their fault, it just boils down to experience and confidence.

Give people tips and ideas on how to spark conversations, how to introduce themselves and consistently put emphasis on putting their character first, not being a cop (REALLY IMPORTANT) and they will eventually ease into doing it commonly. It worked for me. 

Glad you guys are doing that, it's really cool to see.

Edited by jop
1 minute ago, jop said:

Yeah, I get your frustration. There will always be people on the other side who don't understand the concept either, which isn't your fault if you're going out of your way to try your best to talk to these communities. My advice to you (and how I took it in my stride previously) is to put your focus on the people who do give you something back to role play around, the ones who do interact with you and let you do your job properly. 

Don't waste your energy on the people who don't care for it — keep it for the people who do. 

Continued emphasis on community policing:

It's good that you guys are pushing this, it's definitely important. The problem I have always had with it and putting it in motion on a unit/faction-wide scale is that it needs to be pushed heavily. Unit leaders need to pursue it for their faction members, guides, notices and ways to approach and talk to people are needed. 

I wouldn't say there's much ''training'' per se that needs to be given in my opinion, it's merely making people (within the faction) understand how to properly talk to people in-game, which for some people is a struggle. Some people just don't know how to engage into a conversation from an officer to a random person, they don't know what to say, how to say it or when to say it and it's not their fault, it just boils down to experience and confidence.

Give people tips and ideas on how to spark conversations, how to introduce themselves and consistently put emphasis on putting their character first, not being a cop (REALLY IMPORTANT) and they will eventually ease into doing it commonly. It worked for me. 

Glad you guys are doing that, it's really cool to see.

Actually, when it comes to the ''training'' part of it, we disagree! Ever since that post was created we have internally developed media training for MRCAD and command personnel. When it comes to the building a report/community relations side of it, we are trying to do this through incorporating it into the Field Training Program.

At the end of the day training = / = pushing people to do certain things in a certain way in my book. Thanks for the feedback though, it helps!

• Upvote 1

Manifested an idea, last night.

The L.S.P.D. needs a "Most Wanted" or "Crime Stoppers" list that could be presented to the public as a means towards incarcerating serious offenders that possess a warrant for their arrest. It would heighten the realism of the server, allowing characters, on all fields, to engage with the criminal aspects of roleplay. It'll provide citizens with small cash-related rewards for assisting in the arrest of these entities while also allowing certain criminals to attain "fame" within the criminal underworld. Finally, it allows for internal conflict amongst criminal organizations, as informants will finally undergo "risk-rewards" for snitching on their allies.... Death v. Cash Reward etc..

• Upvote 1
On 12/18/2019 at 12:57 AM, DLimit said:

Manifested an idea, last night.

The L.S.P.D. needs a "Most Wanted" or "Crime Stoppers" list that could be presented to the public as a means towards incarcerating serious offenders that possess a warrant for their arrest. It would heighten the realism of the server, allowing characters, on all fields, to engage with the criminal aspects of roleplay. It'll provide citizens with small cash-related rewards for assisting in the arrest of these entities while also allowing certain criminals to attain "fame" within the criminal underworld. Finally, it allows for internal conflict amongst criminal organizations, as informants will finally undergo "risk-rewards" for snitching on their allies.... Death v. Cash Reward etc..

This is an idea that has always been on the back burner, but I am very much against implementing things for the sake of implementing them. I want to build on this system in the future when we have more work to do in game then we currently do and this actually becomes a beneficial function for us. As it stands, we don't have the workload that makes these types of things necessary at the very moment.

Your idea is not bad, as a matter of fact, it is a very good suggestion that I will be holding onto, but it is not something I see being feasible at the moment.

• Applaud 1

As an update. A format for reports on roleplay standards has been created for the general public to use. Use of the system can be found here. This is something that both @Big_Smokes & I have been working on for a bit and it's finally been released. Every report will be taken seriously and properly investigated. Any further questions on how the system works or how we intend to use each report to better the roleplay quality with in our faciton, feel free to reach out to Smokey or myself for any further clarifications. If there are any additions that anyone would like to be made to the format as well or if you feel something important is missing, please feel free to give feedback in general. 

1 hour ago, OhSoFly said:

It would be great if on-duty police didn't casually walk into open businesses like they were off duty or civilians. I think in real life an officer would be questioned by the department for entering bars without a valid reason or purpose while on duty.

There are 101 reasons why a cop might enter a bar and the reasoning might not be immediately apparent. When you say "businesses" do you mean just bars and clubs, or all businesses?

Police need to do something about the mallrats that get wasted at a bar and then drive home like nothing happened, or PLM needs to.

Police also need to stop suddenly going from 30 km/h past a group of hoodlums to tapping W as they drive past them, shit is retarded

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, aldo said:

Police need to do something about the mallrats that get wasted at a bar and then drive home like nothing happened, or PLM needs to.

Police also need to stop suddenly going from 30 km/h past a group of hoodlums to tapping W as they drive past them, shit is retarded

To address your first point, if they haven't used the item, the breathalyzer script won't do anything, and if we ask in /do and they say 0.00% BAC there's nothing we can do, and no way for us to prove it. If you have specific examples, please refer this to PLM.

To address your second point, driving past high crime rate areas at a slow speed is useful for a number of reasons - one, it allows you to get a look at the people. If you're looking for a person, or vehicle in a crowd, you're not going to get this going at 30. Secondly, it's useful for crime suppression as they're less likely to commit crime knowing they're being watched. Other people may have different opinions on this, and I'm open to discussion about why it may or may not be a viable tactic.

• Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic