The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

I think we've established that anyone moving to Los Santos from somewhere outside of America to get a job in law enforcement isn't exactly the most realistic route. Let's keep this topic for what it's here for rather than arguing the same point over and over.

• Keane locked and unlocked this topic

That's where you're wrong. We're simply critiquing and bringing up certain points that we think are damaging the image of the LSPD, this being one of the main ones; a simple solution for this is to enforce a character background check (OOC-wise. Writing a short biography to get a gist of the character)  of some sorts. You'd be able to easily weed out the bad apples. 

Roleplay is obviously the key factor pertaining to this issue at hand here and the discussion got out of hand so I'd like to draw attention to another one of my points:

"I agree with part C as well, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Things can always improve drastically through a number of changes. I believe the LSPD should be doing their best to emulate the LAPD because this gives members a lot of material they can study and research. The LAPD has lots of media coverage. Use that to your advantage."

What is the LSPD leadership's stance on this? We've seen the recently created LSSD strive towards emulating the LASD. Is the LSPD planning on doing the same? 

I haven't had the time to respond to today's posts yet, but let me quickly reiterate the purpose of this topic. The topic is here to help us, the LSPD's leadership and by en large the whole LSPD, improve our faction. It's here to provide constructive feedback based on both negative and positive experiences that can help us grow as a faction. If you are here to provide merely anecdotal evidence based on an own negative experience to vent, think again about posting on this thread. Because you're not just ruining it for yourself, you're ruining it for all of us.

That being said I will get back to responding to things later. Right now I'm enjoying the recent release of the MCC on steam. ?

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Declan said:

That's where you're wrong. We're simply critiquing and bringing up certain points that we think are damaging the image of the LSPD, this being one of the main ones; a simple solution for this is to enforce a character background check (OOC-wise. Writing a short biography to get a gist of the character)  of some sorts. You'd be able to easily weed out the bad apples. 

Roleplay is obviously the key factor pertaining to this issue at hand here and the discussion got out of hand so I'd like to draw attention to another one of my points:

"I agree with part C as well, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Things can always improve drastically through a number of changes. I believe the LSPD should be doing their best to emulate the LAPD because this gives members a lot of material they can study and research. The LAPD has lots of media coverage. Use that to your advantage."

What is the LSPD leadership's stance on this? We've seen the recently created LSSD strive towards emulating the LASD. Is the LSPD planning on doing the same? 

Why do you insist on trying to regulate role-play's natural chain of events to be palatable to you? This kind of dictating only encourages people to gentrify their character's background so people like you won't side-eye them if they wish to hold positions within PD, FD, or GOV. That kind of gentrification is detrimental to role-play.

Instead of expecting short biographies from all players to explain the framework of their respective characters, why not adapt to the fact that it's a thing and will likely not cease from being a thing? All you're doing is limiting one's scope of role-play. I'd hope no one expects Los Santos' cultural landscape to be so one-tracked that different nationalities being a cop, a paramedic, firefighter, government official (really, if you condemn the PD for having officers with different nationalities, you also condemn the two other aforementioned factions) would be a point of contention.

Edited by Serendipity

I had a negative experience several days ago but didn't know where to take it, thankfully this topic exists. For the record, I had shadowplay active during the situation but it never crossed my mind to save the footage and it was lost. Regardless, this is what happened. Myself and two friends were riding DD-Ts through the city and were eventually approached by a cop on a police bike. We pulled over, but the cop asked my friends to leave, only wanting to speak to me. There's nothing wrong with this, this is what might be expected for the safety of an officer. However, I took exception to this request IC and fled the scene. A ~45 minute pursuit would ensue, involving what at least seemed to be seven vehicles including two police bikes, suvs and even unmarked cars. The presence is fine and is realistic, however, what happened throughout the pursuit is not.

I had cruisers attempting to outright side-by-side ride with my bike at ~120 miles per hour. Some of them attempted to pit me off the bike at this speed which is outright ridiculous considering the risk to themselves and the certainty that I would be killed in this scenario. Towards the end of the chase, I had cars coming to every intersection blocking them, which could be seen as a nice tactic to make me take turns and slow down, however once I came close to these cars, they would reverse or move forward to attempt to make me hit them. During the entire chase, a helicopter was pursuing me as well but at no point was a tracking mode attempted. Only when an in character phone call was made as a diversion for the police did everyone leave my tail and stop attempting to kill me.

I understand that it may be within policy to use force against someone who is evading the police, but you will never in your life see a police car hitting top speed to ram someone off of a bike on city streets, nor will you see them trying to stop a vehicle with their own at an intersection. This is very reminiscent of the Michael Houston era of the LSPD in which cruisers were allowed to do rolling interceptions effectively cause a suspect to t-bone their car. I will make it clear that during Houston's tenure this was amended and all head-on and sideways interceptions were disallowed, I'm not knocking him, I'm just trying to help illustrate the issue for someone who was around during this time.

To further prove my point (again, no screens/footage, you'll have to take my word) a few days later my group was tailing an LSPD pursuit at a distance just to see what was going on with the chase, trying to figure it out. As expected the LSPD took exception to this, which is what should have happened. However, later on when Rob's Liquor was robbed and my group was present, the police came and we were stopped and spoken to. One officer (who's name I have forgotten) asked if we were the group that was behind the chase earlier. We admitted this and said that we were sorry, it was in the past and that we left them alone which they should have been thankful for. The officers response was that we were "lucky we did" because "lethal force was authorized".

LSPD leadership: Put more focus into training supervisors for your department so that lethal force is rarely authorized, let alone for a vehicle pursuit on a non-violent offender with no criminal history. If your current handbook reflects a genuine allowance for lethal force in these situations, modify your policy immediately as this is an incredibly poor representation of a modern day large-scale police department.

Thanks for reading.

• Applaud 1

put emphasis on character development, give people the means and the information to help them role play their characters realistically. (guides help with this) and i don't mean have just a post that says we expect you to role play good, enforce it, push it, change it and make people understand what it is you're asking of them. 

make detectives not as invasive with gang role play, make people interact with these gangs like normal people (not cops who are just there to try and put them behind bars) and if you need, i can provide a plethora of video examples of what i mean by this.

put emphasis on community policing (dont look at a bunch of gang members as a faction, look at it as a clique within a vast neighborhood and make your faction members get on a real, immersive and enjoyable level with these neighborhoods and communities. they're not miracle workers, they're not satan's spawn and they're not going to make a huge change within the world (realistically). 

and most importantly, put emphasis on the thin blue line between your faction members, make people work together, talk to each other, befriend each other and to have each other's backs. i've heard of the opposite for certain people and i find it weird. 

overall though, the faction is good and i like what you're doing with it. good leaders, good members and a whole bunch of good roleplayers. 

37 minutes ago, Sebz said:

Thanks for reading.

I'm certain that whatever happened either had to be a bad-case of desync/lag (because chasing a bike is a pain, I know Officer's who simply won't even attempt it) or possibly someone that wasn't sure how to deal with motorbikes. We are strictly told not to hit motorcycles with our vehicles (we may pull in front of you in an attempt to slow you down) but we would never PIT a bike/side-by-side it unless you're going at low speeds where a crash wouldn't kill you. Same as with the LTL shotgun - we're told to only use it when the motorbike is going at a slow speed that wouldn't cause a significant accident. 

I'm actually one of the people who has wanted us to start taking a more active approach to bikers by ramming them with a vehicle, obviously not at excessive speeds (much like the way London cops now authorize) and have been told it won't happen. So, whatever this incident was, it doesn't sound right to me (not saying you're wrong, just saying I've never seen anything authorized for a bike like what you described).

And to cover the lethal force - in my near 2 months in the PD, I have only ever been part of ONE pursuit that had lethal force authorized prior and that's because they were shooting at us during the chase. Lethal force is authorized a lot less than I think people believe. 

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
3 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

It also makes very very very little sense for you to critique characters you know absolutely nothing about other than they aren't American born. If you don't know the circumstances of a character's relocation, then it's not really up to you to judge whether their character makes sense or not. Stay in your own lane, and concentrate on your RP and making it better.

Why would any character move countries around the World to join their law enforcement department? It's good criticism. People need to learn how to role play their character and not their self.  It's not normal at all to run into police acting superior, saying obscure lingo or just not roleplaying a character properly. I think there needs to be some sort of education upon character development and joining the LSPD.   

• Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic