The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

Smokey and his comrades are handling certain situations that need attention already, they monitor people their roleplay and take reports, whether they are IC or OOC and act on it. They can't see everything so that's why people encourage you to report it to whatever party it needs to be reported to. Matter of fact, this thread exploded (again) within hours during midnight by people making accusations and throwing in rotten apples without giving the appropriate parties time to even take measures against said apparent bad roleplay. 

No player should be taking a stance and evaluate the roleplay of a police officer 24/7, there are other people and groups such like LSPD STAFF and Player Management for that and believe me, they are actively keeping tabs on it. 

Reporting someone doesn't take a shitload of time or ''paperwork'' to do. If you have evidence, you can just approach Smokey himself and explain what was wrong. 

Edited by Tseard

It's important for everyone here to understand that building the foundations of a character reflects not only on the person but the entire basis of their role play and in this instance, this faction. Regardless of your concern about the faction, it's not their fault. It boils down to two important key factors that have stemmed the dawn of time throughout countless communities and situations. 

The players need to follow someone who is good at role playing, good at talking, good at making their characters feel real, talk real and good at being cool in their role. When a new player joins and they follow someone who is bad, they will turn out bad. If a player joins and follows someone who is good, they will end up good and that's how the pendulum swings. 

Your character isn't a cop first, your character is your character. Don't put being a cop first, put it second. Traits, feelings, distastes and problems should be what your character shows first, not the other way around. I don't think you should be singling players out on a public medium though. Contact the faction and let them handle it, that's not cool to do.

Everyone will experience something or someone being bad, but that's one apple from the entire tree. The standard role play mentality will slowly form in time, Rome wasn't built in a day. 

Edit: I have a bunch of guides that help in this aspect. Roleplay, grammar, traits and so forth, if you're interested, message me and I'll slide you them. 

Edited by jop
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
17 minutes ago, jop said:

It's important for everyone here to understand that building the foundations of a character reflects not only on the person but the entire basis of their role play and in this instance, this faction. Regardless of your concern about the faction, it's not their fault. It boils down to two important key factors that have stemmed the dawn of time throughout countless communities and situations. 

The players need to follow someone who is good at role playing, good at talking, good at making their characters feel real, talk real and good at being cool in their role. When a new player joins and they follow someone who is bad, they will turn out bad. If a player joins and follows someone who is good, they will end up good and that's how the pendulum swings. 

Your character isn't a cop first, your character is your character. Don't put being a cop first, put it second. Traits, feelings, distastes and problems should be what your character shows first, not the other way around. I don't think you should be singling players out on a public medium though. Contact the faction and let them handle it, that's not cool to do.

Everyone will experience something or someone being bad, but that's one apple from the entire tree. The standard role play mentality will slowly form in time, Rome wasn't built in a day. 

Edit: I have a bunch of guides that help in this aspect. Roleplay, grammar, traits and so forth, if you're interested, message me and I'll slide you them. 

I agree with everything you've said, especially the second part. Good roleplayers are created by influence from other good and experienced roleplayers.

• Upvote 1

[addressing Ronnie two poles' post coz i cant quote right]

This is a huge issue. Your character should be from the United States of America. What British, Russian, or European in general is going to move to the USA, California especially, to join the LAPD? No one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you'd need to wait a whole five years just for a green card (?). What's your character done for those five years? Think of your character and what makes sense realistically. 

The dialect is also a little iffy. Like Ronnie said, mate, oi and many other non-American phrases have wriggled their way into police roleplayer's text. This is mostly a British thing. I know it's uncomfortable to roleplay something out of your comfort zone at first, but when you'll get the hang of it eventually.

I agree with part C as well, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Things can always improve drastically through a number of changes. I believe the LSPD should be doing their best to emulate the LAPD because this gives members a lot of material they can study and research. The LAPD has lots of media coverage. Use that to your advantage.

Furthermore, I addressed the negative OOC relationship between LEO RPers and illegal RPers in one of my previous posts in another community:

"A big part of the problem is the fact that most LEO RPers haven't actually experienced illegal roleplay and thus, don't see things from the criminals' perspective whereas someone who has been on either side is more likely to be able to roleplay a proper police officer and not a "robo-cop". I know people who haven't done anything illegal in their whole time on LS-RP and I just think that's wrong. How can you garner up their side if you've not experienced it yourself? This, in turn, makes illegal RPers frustrated when cops display piss-poor RP and in that regard, I can understand why there is a negative relationship.

Like Klu aforesaid, a lot of newer players come from medium-to-low RP servers and their first factions are usually PD/SD/FD. They're still stuck in that other servers mentality and will often see the server as a cops and robbers server instead of what it is. A heavy RP server."

Edited by Declan
  • Upvote 2
31 minutes ago, Declan said:

I agree with part C as well, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Things can always improve drastically through a number of changes. I believe the LSPD should be doing their best to emulate the LAPD because this gives members a lot of material they can study and research. The LAPD has lots of media coverage. Use that to your advantage.

This is something I also strongly support as a member of the faction. Believe me, being based off the LAPD can be very interesting and honestly opens up a whole new world of RP rather than being just the usual police department on a GTA roleplaying server.

I don’t usually bring up other servers, but LSRP did this on SAMP and I was skeptical and against the idea at first, however I eventually grew to love it much more as opposed to the old days. The roleplay quality and the roleplay experiences I’ve had on there with police department, despite what some may say, is honestly incomparable to any other police faction I have interacted with and is nothing like it was in the past. Like stated, you gotta break out of your comfort zone sometimes.

Edited by CloutToken
6 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

This is something really petty to be up in arms about. Hell it's not just petty, you're literally wrong.

I've been roleplaying for 7 years and ''...'' is used in plenty games with dialogue or just roleplay to show that the person is making a pause or is speechless. Yes, writing 3 paragraphs about how my character's sapphire orbs are interlocked with yours in an awkward stare would be more literary, but we're on a roleplay server that generally keeps posts short and doesn't engage in purple prose. Especially since we were in a small room with 10 other people, which makes the chat spam unbearable. So I  kept my posts short and sweet. This is a really silly thing to complain about.

And it is proper English. There's nothing wrong with it.

An ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, 'omission' or 'falling short') is a series of dots (typically three, such as "…") that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning

In reported speech, the ellipsis is sometimes used to represent an intentional silence, perhaps indicating irritation, dismay, shock or disgust. This usage is more common amongst younger, Internet-savvy generations.[citation needed]

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/50559/using-ellipsis-to-indicate-a-pause-in-conversation

Facts right here.

Also it looks like some are cherrypicking the small things they can complain about.

Most of the problems mentioned here are not department/faction related at all. They rather seem to be an individual issue caused by the player and not the faction.

17 minutes ago, Declan said:

[addressing Ronnie two poles' post coz i cant quote right]

This is a huge issue. Your character should be from the United States of America. What British, Russian, or European in general is going to move to the USA, California especially, to join the LAPD? No one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you'd need to wait a whole five years just for a green card (?). What's your character done for those five years? Think of your character and what makes sense realistically. 

The dialect is also a little iffy. Like Ronnie said, mate, oi and many other non-American phrases have wriggled their way into police roleplayer's text. This is mostly a British thing. I know it's uncomfortable to roleplay something out of your comfort zone at first, but when you'll get the hang of it eventually.

...huh? It's very feasible for any person to migrate to another country and end up working in law enforcement. Complaining about there being cultural diversity within the LSPD is just hypercritical and serves nothing but stagnation of role-play as players in the PD are expected to portray their character as born-and-bred US natives.

I will say that it's definitely questionable to use non-American dialect as it's only natural that upon moving to the US, such dialect would erode and eventually no longer be uttered by the person—unless they're making it a point to not lose a part of their culture or are otherwise involved in communities in LS where the dialect sees constant use.

So, you're telling me someone is going to get up and leave their cushy job in another country. Come to America, wait five years to get permanent resident alien status just to join the LAPD? Bearing in mind that you'd need to consider... the cost of living (housing, food, basic essentials) why would someone do that just to join the LAPD when they can join their respective police departments in their own country? It makes no sense whatsoever. 

I get it. People like to be unique with what they roleplay, we all do. But there's a line you need to draw when it comes to roleplaying certain nationalities. Yes, maybe there are a few British police officers in the LAPD but the fact of the matter is it's dominated by Americans. Latinos, whites and blacks make up the majority. 

• Upvote 2

Southern California law enforcement agencies are predominately White American and Latino. 

It's not very common to find police officers who're straight up foreigners. Like, maybe one in two hundred. Not to mention you need to be a resident and citizen of America for so long before you apply. Most people don't properly roleplay entry into the country, and just show up anyways.

It also makes, very very very little sense to up and move across the world to join the LAPD/LSPD.

People move abroad for a vast range of reasons, it’s not just to become a police officer. Whatever happened to your five year argument? Why wouldn’t one move to another country for whatever reason (different job opportunity from their ”cushy” job, relationship—hell, maybe just a change of scenery) and eventually conclude during those five that they want to enroll in a police academy?

it’s just very nitpicky. 

Edited by Serendipity
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic