The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

I have a suggestion for PD.

The issue that PD RP unprofessionally has been raised by many illegal RPer's, PD players have responded by saying that PD are just RPing the true mental strain of being an officer and their mindset. 

To the illegal RP snob, screenshots are everything. Your thread should be a god damn work of art. That being said I think PD really encouraging its members to post more screenshots in either individual character threads, department threads or the main PD thread would show us illegal RPers what goes on behind the scenes a little more and make us actually appreciate your characters stories.

Its been said the LSPD has over a 100 members. Comparatively most factions have 4-15 members. I'm sure out of that 100 you can find more then enough Screenshotters to really flesh out the LSPD.

I don't believe screenshots are an indication of good role-play. It shouldn't be necessary to complement in-game role-play with fancy screenshots. This sort of mentality only helps to remove focus from out of the game and care about OOC presentation. By all means, if you enjoy it do it. However, I do not think a faction, LSPD or otherwise, should be encouraging their members to post screenshots.

To go a little more on topic, I haven't had any bad experience with LSPD faction members. It could be circumstantial and I've only role-played with police three or four times. A few things I've noticed that have already been addressed such as American characters using British slang seems to be common. A huge problem from the server I'm from is that LSPD's duty was first and foremost to police the server. I don't know what it's like here as I've only been role-playing for a short time but a good mentality to hammer in on new recruits and faction members is that you're role-playing a character.

Yes, we have all heard the same argument but let me elaborate as it's not an issue exclusive to factions with authority.

There are issues with avatarism, unwillingness to role-play fear and a playing to win mentality in all role-playing communities. This is why in tabletop games such as D&D you are forced to pick stats and flaws. You can't trust most people to not want to win. I argue that a lot of good role-play can come from losing. If LSPD is to improve, we should as a community, encourage everyone to quit these bad habits.

I don't know how exactly but I believe the best way to do this is through factions. Helping out good factions with good leadership that try to teach their members these things is a great step. It's a hard thing to gauge however. Who dictates what a good faction is?

As a poor example of what I believe is playing to win was when two players parked up next to me and attempted to rob me. As they exited their vehicle my character ran off. If I was one of these players I would have given up right there, it's not worth the trouble for potentially a small sum of money. However, one of them chased my character on foot which is fine. The other got back in the car and attempted to ram my character twice. In the process, he crashed his car into a wall more than once. My character managed to find a ladder and climbed up. One of them followed me up and I kicked them down. It was a good fall where you'd probably break a leg or I dare say die. Injuries were not role-played. Vehicle damage, to my knowledge, was not role-played.

Can you imagine if this played out in real life? These characters, who I assume are struggling with money, damaged their car which is a big inconvenience and nearly killed someone. One of them potentially broke a leg or something worse. I'm not saying people don't kill each other for even smaller things but I hope you get my point.

I don't want to forbid people from doing these things even though I find them silly. But if you're going to do something so silly, role-play the consequences.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
Just now, Tank said:

I don't believe screenshots are an indication of good role-play. It shouldn't be necessary to complement in-game role-play with fancy screenshots. This sort of mentality only helps to remove focus from out of the game and care about OOC presentation. By all means, if you enjoy it do it. However, I do not think a faction, LSPD or otherwise, should be encouraging their members to post screenshots.

To go a little more on topic, I haven't had any bad experience with LSPD faction members. It could be circumstantial and I've only role-played with police three or four times. A few things I've noticed that have already been addressed such as American characters using British slang seems to be common. A huge problem from the server I'm from is that LSPD's duty was first and foremost to police the server. I don't know what it's like here as I've only been role-playing for a short time but a good mentality to hammer in on new recruits and faction members is that you're role-playing a character.

Yes, we have all heard the same argument but let me elaborate as it's not an issue exclusive to factions with authority.

There are issues with avatarism, unwillingness to role-play fear and a playing to win mentality in all role-playing communities. This is why in tabletop games such as D&D you are forced to pick stats and flaws. You can't trust most people to not want to win. I argue that a lot of good role-play can come from losing. If LSPD is to improve, we should as a community, encourage everyone to quit these bad habits.

I don't know how exactly but I believe the best way to do this is through factions. Helping out good factions with good leadership that try to teach their members these things is a great step. It's a hard thing to gauge however. Who dictates what a good faction is?

As a poor example of what I believe is playing to win was when two players parked up next to me and attempted to rob me. As they exited their vehicle my character ran off. If I was one of these players I would have given up right there, it's not worth the trouble for potentially a small sum of money. However, one of them chased my character on foot which is fine. The other got back in the car and attempted to ram my character twice. In the process, he crashed his car into a wall more than once. My character managed to find a ladder and climbed up. One of them followed me up and I kicked them down. It was a good fall where you'd probably break a leg or I dare say die. Injuries were not role-played. Vehicle damage, to my knowledge, was not role-played.

Can you imagine if this played out in real life? These characters, who I assume are struggling with money, damaged their car which is a big inconvenience and nearly killed someone. One of them potentially broke a leg or something worse. I'm not saying people don't kill each other for even smaller things but I hope you get my point.

I don't want to forbid people from doing these things even though I find them silly. But if you're going to do something so silly, role-play the consequences.

??????

5 hours ago, Henning said:

To the illegal RP snob, screenshots are everything. Your thread should be a god damn work of art. That being said I think PD really encouraging its members to post more screenshots in either individual character threads, department threads or the main PD thread would show us illegal RPers what goes on behind the scenes a little more and make us actually appreciate your characters stories.

ts been said the LSPD has over a 100 members. Comparatively most factions have 4-15 members. I'm sure out of that 100 you can find more then enough Screenshotters to really flesh out the LSPD.

I have personally always seen that as another means to put your illegal faction on the map, exactly because they are much smaller, and unless you're roleplaying on a specific street/in a certain neighborhood you might not even realize that the organization is even operating there. Therefore it's a way to stand out from the crowd of similarly sized groups.

Nonetheless, it's not for everyone and the reasons mentioned above do not apply for most legal factions since those are in the spotlight pretty much by default. I personally never liked putting too much about my characters on the forums, as it then takes away from actually meeting and learning about that character. There are different approaches to forum screenshots and I would argue that not sharing the full development of your character on forums can be a conscious choice and there's nothing wrong with it. 

• Upvote 1
On 11/11/2019 at 2:14 AM, Henning said:

I have a suggestion for PD.

The issue that PD RP unprofessionally has been raised by many illegal RPer's, PD players have responded by saying that PD are just RPing the true mental strain of being an officer and their mindset. 

Its been said the LSPD has over a 100 members. Comparatively most factions have 4-15 members. I'm sure out of that 100 you can find more then enough Screenshotters to really flesh out the LSPD.

We have encouraged people to post more roleplay screenshots or even screenshots without text just to give people insight on what is going on however, we can't expect people to always take the time to edit and post screenshots. Different members serve different areas of the faction and not all Police work can be broadcasted to the public. On top of that, most people do have responsibilities to the PD via the forums and something like content creation for your faction should be a leisure activity. 

As others have pointed out, government factions operate a lot differently than illegal ones in regards to exposure. Everyone knows the LSPD exists. You see the cruisers, you see the in-character praises or complaints on social media. As we continue to transition with a lot of changes, I've personally been on a mission to create more IC exposure and transparency just like the LAPD has in recent years and encourage a lot more community policing among officers. 

On 11/11/2019 at 9:14 AM, Henning said:

The issue that PD RP unprofessionally has been raised by many illegal RPer's,

What does unprofesionally mean in this context? If anything, as a PD member I noticed that a lot of cops are very nice. Now I play mine courteous because he doesn't want to antagonise people and make himself a target, but legitimately most are very by the book and rarely display any rude behavior to the ones they arrest. Never saw any suspect rudely shoved or hit in return to slight resistance during arrest. So I'm really surprised by this claim, if not entirely skeptical.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
On 11/11/2019 at 1:34 PM, Tank said:

Hundred percent agree with this. Screenshots don't necessarily indicate to your level of roleplay, they're two different platforms. Many are incredible roleplayers but are piss-poor at editing screenshots. Your thread is merely a platform to showcase some of your roleplay and scenes, they should never scale your level of roleplay. Hopping in-game and roleplaying should be prioritized over perfecting your screenshots, the way I see it.

To steer back on topic, from what I've seen the PD's open to feedback and is currently on the right track with overcoming their issues.

• Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

What does unprofesionally mean in this context? If anything, as a PD member I noticed that a lot of cops are very nice. Now I play mine courteous because he doesn't want to antagonise people and make himself a target, but legitimately most are very by the book and rarely display any rude behavior to the ones they arrest. Never saw any suspect rudely shoved or hit in return to slight resistance during arrest. So I'm really surprised by this claim, if not entirely skeptical.

For the most part it’s the way PD speaks to people actually. My characters a member of a skinhead gang right? He’s covered from head to toe in tattoos and towers over most of the cops in size. That’s a pretty intimidating sight. 

Yet I’ve encountered many PD who are always attempting to get the last word. Making comments more for the lol’s then for actual IC reason. Last night I got in a verbal altercation with a black officer, the night before his character witnessed an associate of mine gun down a police officer and flee on foot.

that officer decided to antagonize my character going as far as to yell out his name to my character and encouraging him to do something to him. 

If this was a one off occurrence? I’d take that name and track his character down and if I could I would CK him. It would probably take me awhile but it would be some fun rp. The issue is, it’s common trait in the LSPD. Instead of actively trying to be nice and smooth things over with the public, members of the LSPD try to get the last laugh or drop in a zinger or two. The type of behavior that fun fact doesn’t slide as often as you think in the real world. 

Why did I suggest screenshots? Because it’ll showcase what we don’t see IG. These “trials and tribulations” that LSPD goes through. I’m not asking for perfect screens or some photoshop masterpiece, Hell use LSRP+ If you want, it cuts the time in half. Just provide something on a regular basis that shows the rest of the server that your not just playing robocops. 

• Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic