The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

On 8/19/2019 at 11:36 AM, Darius94 said:

Straight to the point, I wanted to join LSPD for the RP, to have fun. A very disappointing point I have came across into your recruitment stage was the examination where would you require candidates to go throughout a bunch of real life court case situations and state on how would you implement this in the game or RP around this ? I mean, I wanted to join LSPD but I am working full time and have other pirorities, when I have seen that stage of my exam it was a big no .. didn't even think about going through that and read all that useless content. So from the start I simply wanted to walk away. How can you guys improve over this and maybe assure that more players are able to take your recruitment stage to an end without giving up mid process because of real life priorites ? 

Had no other issue apart from that, most of the questions were good and to determinate what kind of RPer you are and to gain a sight  your previous background (maybe).

After all, this is a game and everyone should join for fun, but I think  at the moment, it wouldn't worth my effort  as I would end up playing a maximum of 2h a day. 

I see what you mean and currently Recruitment section is revamping and looking into improving the entire recruitment system. Which is why Police Recruitment was closed for a while. I will forward this specific issue to them ASAP. 

Edited by Christofo
  • Thanks 1
On 8/19/2019 at 12:36 PM, Darius94 said:

Straight to the point, I wanted to join LSPD for the RP, to have fun. A very disappointing point I have came across into your recruitment stage was the examination where would you require candidates to go throughout a bunch of real life court case situations and state on how would you implement this in the game or RP around this ? I mean, I wanted to join LSPD but I am working full time and have other pirorities, when I have seen that stage of my exam it was a big no .. didn't even think about going through that and read all that useless content. So from the start I simply wanted to walk away. How can you guys improve over this and maybe assure that more players are able to take your recruitment stage to an end without giving up mid process because of real life priorites ? 

Had no other issue apart from that, most of the questions were good and to determinate what kind of RPer you are and to gain a sight  your previous background (maybe).

After all, this is a game and everyone should join for fun, but I think  at the moment, it wouldn't worth my effort  as I would end up playing a maximum of 2h a day. 

In regards to the court cases: we cannot and we will not remove them altogether. We require everyone joining the LSPD to have a basic understanding of the law and how to apply it; otherwise you will simply be a liability in the field. You will find however that it's not just about learning the case-law as the case-law forms the very basis upon which most of our regulations are built. Thus, it is imperative for you to read and understand these laws and we test that by having them as a part of our entry exam. It's either that, or you get the basic procedures which you have to learn before the exam. Either way, it's one or the other, because if we don't make it an entry requirement it becomes way harder for us to check your knowledge once you progress into the faction.

If you cannot at the entry level put in enough effort to read through the material provided to you, I'm going to be honest and say that this faction probably isn't for you. There are a lot of things you need to keep up with, including many internal protocols, that are vital to your being a law enforcement officer.

Edited by Big_Smokes
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2
4 hours ago, Big_Smokes said:

In regards to the court cases: we cannot and we will not remove them altogether. We require everyone joining the LSPD to have a basic understanding of the law and how to apply it; otherwise you will simply be a liability in the field. You will find however that it's not just about learning the case-law as the case-law forms the very basis upon which most of our regulations are built. Thus, it is imperative for you to read and understand these laws and we test that by having them as a part of our entry exam. It's either that, or you get the basic procedures which you have to learn before the exam. Either way, it's one or the other, because if we don't make it an entry requirement it becomes way harder for us to check your knowledge once you progress into the faction.

If you cannot at the entry level put in enough effort to read through the material provided to you, I'm going to be honest and say that this faction probably isn't for you. There are a lot of things you need to keep up with, including many internal protocols, that are vital to your being a law enforcement officer.

I truly understand and see behind the reasons for that section, always made sense but I think there should be other ways to get players understand how that section works instead of getting them read them long cases. Short ended and more detailed topics would be more helpful in my own opinion. Maybe learning 'as you go' is not the case just an easier way to get the grips of the court cases topic. 

I don't mind reading the LSPD manual and internal procedures, I always do from the start to the end before going on duty for the very first time. But as aforementioned, the court cases brings something different .. something I feel like all that big content (ueseless) might be easier converted into something that everyone wouldn't mind reading to an end and get better understanding of what your departamental expections are upon getting enlisted within faction.

5 hours ago, Christofo said:

I see what you mean and currently Recruitment section is revamping and looking into improving the entire recruitment system. Which is why Police Recruitment was closed for a while. I will forward this specific issue to them ASAP. 

Thanks for your input. ?

On 8/19/2019 at 6:36 AM, Darius94 said:

Hi, ACO of Recruitment and Academy here. We understand there were some frustations with the last exam. Alot of people said it was very wordy, and I have been majorly involved with the creation of a new exam. While I still expect it to be far from perfect, it should address some of the concerns. For starters, we frequently use case-law in our day to day roleplay. It's very daunting at first, especially if you're aren't natively american, but I assure you it's nothing egregious, and as we are held to that standard in-game, is mandatory for new Police Officers to read and understand. 

You said that you have real life priorities however, and that we completely understand. I must say that I'm a little upset to hear that you just dropped the exam completely, and would like to reinforce that we are human, just like you. None of the Recruitment and Academy process is automated, and we all give up time in order to contribute. I personally work 40 hours a week most weeks, so I one hundred percent understand where you're coming from. Please keep mind that while we have policies, there are always exceptions. You are more than welcome to message myself, or any other member of RAD and we'll more than likely be able to work something out if you need a hand. 

Edited by Dodo

Still waiting for that prison buddy, other then that I think that PD is fine. There's a few exceptions (a bunch of lesbians RPing Guerilla Warfare) but I've seen a lot of decent PD RP lately (especially around the explosion in Vespucci).

Also I've another notice, when will you guys introduce the Gang Unit to us? I mean there is one but it's really inactive, do you guys plan on boosting the activity? Since I want to actually see some RP other then the typical Cops n Robbers RPG based roleplay, because there was a case when my character stole this kid's shoes and a few individuals wanted to place me in jail for 2 hours instead of actually roleplaying getting my gang affiliations etc. Also I know that this is characte-based but it would be cool to actually have a few corrupted cops that are focused around gangs, since it's really easy to get information from then (the typical blackmail). PD can also win a lot from just having a few officers based around gangs, it'll benefit both factions giving them some really interesting roleplay.

Other then that I'm happy with how PD is.

Edited by Alfonso_Chavarria
9 hours ago, Dodo said:

Hi, ACO of Recruitment and Academy here. We understand there were some frustations with the last exam. Alot of people said it was very wordy, and I have been majorly involved with the creation of a new exam. While I still expect it to be far from perfect, it should address some of the concerns. For starters, we frequently use case-law in our day to day roleplay. It's very daunting at first, especially if you're aren't natively american, but I assure you it's nothing egregious, and as we are held to that standard in-game, is mandatory for new Police Officers to read and understand. 

You said that you have real life priorities however, and that we completely understand. I must say that I'm a little upset to hear that you just dropped the exam completely, and would like to reinforce that we are human, just like you. None of the Recruitment and Academy process is automated, and we all give up time in order to contribute. I personally work 40 hours a week most weeks, so I one hundred percent understand where you're coming from. Please keep mind that while we have policies, there are always exceptions. You are more than welcome to message myself, or any other member of RAD and we'll more than likely be able to work something out if you need a hand. 

Good to hear this. Didn't completely drop the exam but mostly I knew I will fail on that point as I didn't go throughout the subject (upon personal decision) as a whole, so my effort was slightly reduced.

Appreciate your answer, man ?

2 hours ago, Alfonso_Chavarria said:

Still waiting for that prison buddy, other then that I think that PD is fine. There's a few exceptions (a bunch of lesbians RPing Guerilla Warfare) but I've seen a lot of decent PD RP lately (especially around the explosion in Vespucci).

Also I've another notice, when will you guys introduce the Gang Unit to us? I mean there is one but it's really inactive, do you guys plan on boosting the activity? Since I want to actually see some RP other then the typical Cops n Robbers RPG based roleplay, because there was a case when my character stole this kid's shoes and a few individuals wanted to place me in jail for 2 hours instead of actually roleplaying getting my gang affiliations etc. Also I know that this is characte-based but it would be cool to actually have a few corrupted cops that are focused around gangs, since it's really easy to get information from then (the typical blackmail). PD can also win a lot from just having a few officers based around gangs, it'll benefit both factions giving them some really interesting roleplay.

Other then that I'm happy with how PD is.

Consider this a warning, read the original post before sending further replies (@what you initially said). Also the LSPD faction has nothing to do with the DOC faction or the lack thereof.

As for the Gang and Narcotics Division, it functions fine for the personnel it has. It expands gradually which is whaf we prefer to see and there are no plans to boost recruitment at this time.

Also, we don't roleplay corruption for the sake of it and highly discourage doing so. People must have IC reasons leading up to their roleplaying corrupt, thus you won't often see (doesn't mean they're not there) corrupt police officers. It isn't heavily restricted at all, but it does require effort.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I come with a different perspective and concern pertaining to the faction as a whole. I've been role-playing a Fire Department paramedic/firefighter for a while. It's safe to say I've encountered police role-players a whole lot by doing this and answering their calls when I do. Whenever there's more victims than paramedics, they find it fit to try and self transport or try to move and interfere with injured victims. Whenever they're on a scene with paramedics and generally injured personnel and a some call about something comes in, they all scrape off to clear out and go rush to the next thing as if there's only 3 cops in the whole city just because there's 3 people online.

This is, to the very least, disappointing. I understand where police role-players come from and where they generally stand on emergency services/healthcare/medical/firefighting role-play. Entertaining a Fire Department faction is pretty hard, and having it be active without constantly providing support and incentive for members to join and actually remain active takes a whole lot. And I do understand the Fire Department doesn't currently function to a suitable enough standard to always have people online to handle calls and it happens more than often that the PD has to do it themselves and role-play contracted healthcare providers or do emergency self transportation on victims at scenes where FD doesn't attend.

Self transporting is pretty niche and something invoked to handle the issue pertaining to the game as it is given having an understaffed Fire Department faction. It's not entirely realistic. So when there is indeed FD on scene, I think they should be left to attend to victims or consulted if first aid is given and further action seems warranted. To have to literally argue (IC) with officers because they want to self transport when there's an ambulance on scene is very disheartening, of poor quality and very much unrealistic. To have nothing done to them and with a vast majority of field supervision not care for these kind of aspects and barely even address such behavior is much more disheartening. It's why I'm actually writing this up for the leadership to consider.

Furthermore, I take it the PD has a different mindset when it comes to attending situations in game. To give my couple cents, it's unrealistic and of pretty poor quality to clear officers off a scene with hurt people so they can go drive around. If it'd be me I'd advise members against that. And it's also pretty unrealistic to look for the fastest way to clear off just because there's 3 situations going on at the time. I feel that the faction is focusing on policing the server rather than role-playing up to a certain standard and provide quality police role-play to the community, and just wants to address situations instead of role-playing accordingly. To put it bluntly, there's never enough backup on a scene and clearing non-essential personnel off to go to some other call is fairly good but clearing everybody off and saying "you got it, FD, gotta go." just sucks and gives me and anybody else who're facing this side of the marble a pretty grim idea of what PD role-players think and wanna do.

I suggest taking what I say with a pinch of salt by understanding I've got a pretty different mindset and approach to role-play and police role-play in general. Perhaps my expectations aren't meeting the standard the police faction's wanted at. But I just think this is an issue that needs serious addressing because, to me, it made a bad name for the very specific people who practice this kind of behavior in game and to the faction in overall when I see mishandling of such aspects instead of putting stern policy in place for police members who just don't want to bother and are in it for the "15 minutes of fame" out of some officer-involved-shooting scene. This is not about reporting individuals but about making it a faction wide mindset so that's why I didn't just report individuals, and to be frank, if I had to report individuals, I'd report half the faction easy.

Edited by liq
  • Upvote 2
5 hours ago, liq said:

I come with a different perspective and concern pertaining to the faction as a whole. I've been role-playing a Fire Department paramedic/firefighter for a while. It's safe to say I've encountered police role-players a whole lot by doing this and answering their calls when I do. Whenever there's more victims than paramedics, they find it fit to try and self transport or try to move and interfere with injured victims. Whenever they're on a scene with paramedics and generally injured personnel and a some call about something comes in, they all scrape off to clear out and go rush to the next thing as if there's only 3 cops in the whole city just because there's 3 people online.

This is, to the very least, disappointing. I understand where police role-players come from and where they generally stand on emergency services/healthcare/medical/firefighting role-play. Entertaining a Fire Department faction is pretty hard, and having it be active without constantly providing support and incentive for members to join and actually remain active takes a whole lot. And I do understand the Fire Department doesn't currently function to a suitable enough standard to always have people online to handle calls and it happens more than often that the PD has to do it themselves and role-play contracted healthcare providers or do emergency self transportation on victims at scenes where FD doesn't attend.

Self transporting is pretty niche and something invoked to handle the issue pertaining to the game as it is given having an understaffed Fire Department faction. It's not entirely realistic. So when there is indeed FD on scene, I think they should be left to attend to victims or consulted if first aid is given and further action seems warranted. To have to literally argue (IC) with officers because they want to self transport when there's an ambulance on scene is very disheartening, of poor quality and very much unrealistic. To have nothing done to them and with a vast majority of field supervision not care for these kind of aspects and barely even address such behavior is much more disheartening. It's why I'm actually writing this up for the leadership to consider.

Furthermore, I take it the PD has a different mindset when it comes to attending situations in game. To give my couple cents, it's unrealistic and of pretty poor quality to clear officers off a scene with hurt people so they can go drive around. If it'd be me I'd advise members against that. And it's also pretty unrealistic to look for the fastest way to clear off just because there's 3 situations going on at the time. I feel that the faction is focusing on policing the server rather than role-playing up to a certain standard and provide quality police role-play to the community, and just wants to address situations instead of role-playing accordingly. To put it bluntly, there's never enough backup on a scene and clearing non-essential personnel off to go to some other call is fairly good but clearing everybody off and saying "you got it, FD, gotta go." just sucks and gives me and anybody else who're facing this side of the marble a pretty grim idea of what PD role-players think and wanna do.

I suggest taking what I say with a pinch of salt by understanding I've got a pretty different mindset and approach to role-play and police role-play in general. Perhaps my expectations aren't meeting the standard the police faction's wanted at. But I just think this is an issue that needs serious addressing because, to me, it made a bad name for the very specific people who practice this kind of behavior in game and to the faction in overall when I see mishandling of such aspects instead of putting stern policy in place for police members who just don't want to bother and are in it for the "15 minutes of fame" out of some officer-involved-shooting scene. This is not about reporting individuals but about making it a faction wide mindset so that's why I didn't just report individuals, and to be frank, if I had to report individuals, I'd report half the faction easy.

First of all, like stated by smokes in the beginning complaints of this nature should go to the relative parties. Some of these are IC issues and there is very much lines for you to address them 

The PD does have methods of self transportation and BLS trained officers that are trained by FD to help in such times as FD personnel not been able to attend or not been able to treat multiple suspects at once. Scouts and bigger vehicles are kitted with a backboard to allow that to happen. As FD, you more than welcome to direct PD BLS officers to help in mass casualty situations, in some rare situations you may get myself to help with ALS training or one of my tactical EMTs which will be able to provide you with more coverage. With no FD members avaliable it will be a call to self transport and sometimes we may make the decision to self transport our own officers on scene if there is civilians needing attention. 

Officers clear tends to be a difficult choice. We may have a number of incidents around the city and depending in the time of day will be spread fairly thin. Supervisors will always try and keep as many around but if serious situation happen around the city, or there is starting to get officers not looking like they are useful then they will clear them. That would be up to the supervisor and any IC disagreement with their decision should again be handed IC

Any additional problems on an ooc level you are more then free to contact command. 

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic