The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

Will LSPD actively look into trucking companies in regards to Trucking Licenses? There's been a obvious uptick in truckers and half of them continue to drive like idiots and fail to have a license, the occasional checks here and there can't hurt? 

my thoughts are going to be a bit subjective, considering i'm not in the faction, thus much of my experience being based upon a handful of isolated incidents and/or videos put on public display, but here goes:

the main concern for me, as far as law enforcement factions goes, has always been the usage of voice comms, or worse, its substitution for in-game interaction. i mean, i understand that there's a certain necessity for it and i'm not about to argue the fact in its entirety - but personally, i would appreciate if the lspd would make it abundantly clear that voice comms are only to be used under very rare circumstances - such as active foot or vehicle pursuits. anything beyond that, including tactical solutions or rather shots fired in general, i would prefer if it were handled via in-game forms of communication - from start to finish.

while i'm sure the faction has strict rules in place to regulate the usage of teamspeak etc in theory, i'm equally sure there are individual channels for patrol partners to talk to each other during patrol, given that the talk remains ooc unless special circumstances dictate otherwise - which (imo) only lends itself to players substituting dedicated in-character interaction for ooc chat/banter.

players talking to each other through unofficial means of voice communication would be difficult to regulate, i get that, but i just think there's a huge difference between sorta endorsing voice comms or generally disallowing it, with the exception of a number of dedicated channels for fast paced situations only.

i can really only ask seasoned pd roleplayers to look back on their 1st patrols with newer faction members, and evaluate the way they usually play out. because in my past experience, it's usually a whole lot of ooc getting-to-know-each-other, unless you specifically remind folks to keep it to a minimum - in short, grouping people in voice chat goes hand in hand with the expectation of actually utilizing it and as such endorses the practice, resulting in roleplay becoming an (perhaps occasional) afterthought.

tl:dr

voice comms are the bane of meaningful and well paced roleplay, i would ask that you (as faction leaders) do your utmost to limit it to an absolute bare minimum.

i fully expect i will be told that voice comms are kept in check for the most part, and while i don't question the good will behind that statement, i believe that limiting voice chat to (even more of) an absolute minimum would lead to a noticeable increase in quality and frequency of in-character interaction.  

Edited by Five-oh
7 minutes ago, Five-oh said:

my thoughts are going to be a bit subjective, considering i'm not in the faction, thus much of my experience being based upon a handful of isolated incidents and/or videos put on public display, but here goes:

the main concern for me, as far as law enforcement factions goes, has always been the usage of voice comms, or worse, its substitution for in-game interaction. i mean, i understand that there's a certain necessity for it and i'm not about to argue the fact in its entirety - but personally, i would appreciate if the lspd would make it abundantly clear that voice comms are only to be used under very rare circumstances - such as active foot or vehicle pursuits. anything beyond that, including tactical solutions or rather shots fired in general, i would prefer if it were handled via in-game forms of communication - from start to finish.

while i'm sure the faction has strict rules in place to regulate the usage of teamspeak etc in theory, i'm equally sure there are individual channels for patrol partners to talk to each other during patrol, given that the talk remains ooc unless special circumstances dictate otherwise - which (imo) only lends itself to players substituting dedicated in-character interaction for ooc chat/banter.

players talking to each other through unofficial means of voice communication would be difficult to regulate, i get that, but i just think there's a huge difference between sorta endorsing voice comms or generally disallowing it, with the exception of a number of dedicated channels for fast paced situations only.

i can really only ask seasoned pd roleplayers to look back on their 1st patrols with newer faction members, and evaluate the way they usually play out. because in my past experience, it's usually a whole lot of ooc getting-to-know-each-other, unless you specifically remind folks to keep it to a minimum - in short, grouping people in voice chat goes hand in hand with the expectation of actually utilizing it and as such endorses the practice, resulting in roleplay becoming an (perhaps occasional) afterthought.

tl:dr

voice comms are the bane of meaningful and well paced roleplay, i would ask that you (as faction leaders) do your utmost to limit it to an absolute bare minimum.

i fully expect i will be told that voice comms are kept in check for the most part, and while i don't question the good will behind that statement, i believe that limiting voice chat to (even more of) an absolute minimum would lead to a noticeable increase in quality and frequency of in-character interaction.  

I agree with you. For all the years I've played GTA RP in LEO factions, TS has always been a distraction. It's hard to actively roleplay and write with all these people talking in the same channel I am in. Thankfully in our TS, there are a ton of channels to disappear into away from others if I feel like it's getting too much in the way of what I'm trying to roleplay. 

That said, TS is an absolute necessity for any LEO faction. We get into more chases and shootings in any given week than other groups, criminal or otherwise, will see in an entire year. Dealing with those on a purely text-based basis is not fun, especially not given the sheer volume of them. And because of its place as a necessity, TS will always loom over our heads. Mostly, however, I think most of my faction members I interact with the most are all really good about keeping voice comms to a minimum and maximizing roleplay inside our partnered cars / with the public. 

15 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I agree with this.

Having attended LSPD's Academy, and just seeing it from the outside in, I feel as if the majority of characters within the faction are unfortunately portrayed as this gentleman, who just so happens to be an expert in Muay Thai, Jiu Jit-su, and Tae Kwon Do. He was also a US Navy SEAL, and their character is always wearing plate carriers, kevlar helmets, and carrying a rifle with bloused boots.

From my experience in the real world, the majority of Law Enforcement Officers look nothing like that. I understand that players ought have freedom to create who they'd like, but... why? Why is the supporting actor from a TNT Detective show everyone's go-to?

Once again, please read the original post before replying. This thread is about the general state of the faction and not a place for you to vent frustration about individual violations. If you have any concerns, feel free to take them to my inbox. 

1 minute ago, Helm said:

I agree with you. For all the years I've played GTA RP in LEO factions, TS has always been a distraction. It's hard to actively roleplay and write with all these people talking in the same channel I am in. Thankfully in our TS, there are a ton of channels to disappear into away from others if I feel like it's getting too much in the way of what I'm trying to roleplay. 

That said, TS is an absolute necessity for any LEO faction. We get into more chases and shootings in any given week than other groups, criminal or otherwise, will see in an entire year. Dealing with those on a purely text-based basis is not fun, especially not given the sheer volume of them. And because of its place as a necessity, TS will always loom over our heads. Mostly, however, I think most of my faction members I interact with the most are all really good about keeping voice comms to a minimum and maximizing roleplay inside our partnered cars / with the public. 

As much as I would love to talk about TS, we can keep discussing it but as it stands it will not change. Some people will always have gripes with it and others won't. We try our best to limit usage both for IC and OOC reasons, and that is what we aim to continue doing. That's in response to both of you that brought it up, FYI!

17 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Will LSPD actively look into trucking companies in regards to Trucking Licenses? There's been a obvious uptick in truckers and half of them continue to drive like idiots and fail to have a license, the occasional checks here and there can't hurt? 

As it stands trucking licenses do not actually show up in game as separate when asked to see your licenses (not even sure if they are intended to tbh as they to me seem like more of an OOC limitation); thus we cannot really look into that aspect specifically. We do however enforce traffic laws ICly for everyone regardless of vehicle. I'll ask the sergeants to monitor if people actually engage with these truckers and if they don't, to encourage them to do so.

Just now, Big_Smokes said:

Once again, please read the original post before replying. This thread is about the general state of the faction and not a place for you to vent frustration about individual violations. If you have any concerns, feel free to take them to my inbox. 

It's not necessarily an individual violation, it sort of works in tandem with the vetting process for prospective faction members.

I have already discussed a portion of these things with kilerbite, but I feel for the sake of discussion, I should put it here, too.

I can say, having participated with the academy, that the atmosphere surrounding the faction - particularly on an entry-level basis, absolutely promotes the 'cool guy' character that many members share. Not only did I feel anything was being adequately disseminated or taught during the Academy, but there were several instructors & cadre whose characters portrayed were exactly as discussed. But I digress.

The Police Academy, approximate to this chronology, consisted of:

1. Physical Training roleplay, interlaced with basic questions to the new recruits.
  2. Melee fighting, with little-to-no instruction. Candidates truly had no idea as to how to consistently get someone handcuffed in a pair of two, nor were any instructions passed down to alleviate this.
  3. Watching Officers draw guns & show everyone how to walk up to a vehicle for a 'felony stop'.
  4. Range time, with nothing really oriented toward learning. Everyone(about 30 or so of us) were handed pistols, and simply told 'don't aim them behind you or we'll kill you!', before being instructed to just shoot a magazine at a target. Nothing was really learned there.
  5. Debriefing - we drove our 'assigned training vehicles' back over to the parking area, where we were all told to fill out an exam on the forums, before being dismissed.

While I understand the need to maintain an engaging atmosphere for players to enjoy, I also find it concerning that there hadn't been any curriculum regarding simply roleplaying as a LEO, or any of the meticulous aspects of policing that actually encompass the majority of the job. Case law was simply left to reading the forum posts, as well as other aspects of high importance on the job. Education & training was practically left up to the 'student' to do on their own time. 

18 minutes ago, Augustus said:

It's not necessarily an individual violation, it sort of works in tandem with the vetting process for prospective faction members.

I have already discussed a portion of these things with kilerbite, but I feel for the sake of discussion, I should put it here, too.

I can say, having participated with the academy, that the atmosphere surrounding the faction - particularly on an entry-level basis, absolutely promotes the 'cool guy' character that many members share. Not only did I feel anything was being adequately disseminated or taught during the Academy, but there were several instructors & cadre whose characters portrayed were exactly as discussed. But I digress.

The Police Academy, approximate to this chronology, consisted of:

1. Physical Training roleplay, interlaced with basic questions to the new recruits.
  2. Melee fighting, with little-to-no instruction. Candidates truly had no idea as to how to consistently get someone handcuffed in a pair of two, nor were any instructions passed down to alleviate this.
  3. Watching Officers draw guns & show everyone how to walk up to a vehicle for a 'felony stop'.
  4. Range time, with nothing really oriented toward learning. Everyone(about 30 or so of us) were handed pistols, and simply told 'don't aim them behind you or we'll kill you!', before being instructed to just shoot a magazine at a target. Nothing was really learned there.
  5. Debriefing - we drove our 'assigned training vehicles' back over to the parking area, where we were all told to fill out an exam on the forums, before being dismissed.

While I understand the need to maintain an engaging atmosphere for players to enjoy, I also find it concerning that there hadn't been any curriculum regarding simply roleplaying as a LEO, or any of the meticulous aspects of policing that actually encompass the majority of the job. Case law was simply left to reading the forum posts, as well as other aspects of high importance on the job. Education & training was practically left up to the 'student' to do on their own time. 

Not going into the details of the police academy (considering the majority what you've mentioned has been changed since the inception) there is a good reason why the majority of what you were taught is on the forums. You can call them ''just forum posts'' but I feel like you're not doing the process any credit. They are documents written up with the intent to give you the knowledge required to be successful as and beyond a Police Officer I, with other parts of relevant learning materials being left to your Field Training Period. 

''hadn't been any curriculum regarding simply roleplaying as a LEO'' - The Academy is a wholly IC process focused on roleplay. We have guides internally in the faction which you get access to after joining which were created with the intent to provide this information. We don't see a purpose in including this within the academy and prioritize this during Field Training instead.

TL:DR - We use the short time we having during the academy to teach basic things and to evaluate a player's ability to roleplay- thoroughly. Moreso than we do during the application stage, which we consider a basic check. Everything else the student has to read up on in their own time, which we did on purpose. We don't see the need to sit any individual down for two hours while a group of four recite an entire manual. It's better left for you to do that in your own time, and well, if you cannot dedicate a few minutes to reading these materials we've provided, then you definitely cannot dedicate the amount of time to forum work that is actually required to be in the faction.

Either way, this was not what this topic was created for. If you have any further suggestions in regards to the academy, feel free to send them to us directly.

Edited by Big_Smokes

Hello, happy to see this thread coming up.

I only have a few points I was wanting to share. 

My first point is generally with the way cops interact and deal with minors. 

I have been Rp'ing my current main character for a bit. I started him out as a minor, where my plan for him was to slowly let him be molded by his surroundings. And out of all the interactions he has had with the police, only one of them have been good, and that was because he was being asked questions. 

But I quickly found that cops never really saw my character as a child, which I found surprising. But it was fine RP for his reason to dislike police in general. But it could have been avoided. 

On the same note I wouldn't mind seeing some more community policing and the like. I think that type of RP and interactions might have changed how my character would have turned out in the start. 

Hopefully this all makes sense as a read, decided to write it on my phone. 

12 minutes ago, Netsrac said:

Hello, happy to see this thread coming up.

I only have a few points I was wanting to share. 

My first point is generally with the way cops interact and deal with minors. 

I have been Rp'ing my current main character for a bit. I started him out as a minor, where my plan for him was to slowly let him be molded by his surroundings. And out of all the interactions he has had with the police, only one of them have been good, and that was because he was being asked questions. 

But I quickly found that cops never really saw my character as a child, which I found surprising. But it was fine RP for his reason to dislike police in general. But it could have been avoided. 

On the same note I wouldn't mind seeing some more community policing and the like. I think that type of RP and interactions might have changed how my character would have turned out in the start. 

Hopefully this all makes sense as a read, decided to write it on my phone. 

This is definitely an area of RP that gets a little tricky for a lot of players. As it's very difficult to make your character look underaged and that physical perception can be hard for players to get past. It's also so uncommon that people roleplay minors that many RPers may not be used to it and don't know how to act in those scenarios. 

We'll certainly try to be more considerate with minors, as they're still in a shapable phase and shouldn't be treated as harshly as adults. There is definitely a lot of room for improvement when roleplaying with youth, and even developing mentorship between LSPD and community youth. Thank you for bringing this up, and we'll try to reinforce the idea within the faction that there are youth characters and that it is a different dynamic when interacting with them.

17 minutes ago, FearnR said:

This is definitely an area of RP that gets a little tricky for a lot of players. As it's very difficult to make your character look underaged and that physical perception can be hard for players to get past. It's also so uncommon that people roleplay minors that many RPers may not be used to it and don't know how to act in those scenarios. 

We'll certainly try to be more considerate with minors, as they're still in a shapable phase and shouldn't be treated as harshly as adults. There is definitely a lot of room for improvement when roleplaying with youth, and even developing mentorship between LSPD and community youth. Thank you for bringing this up, and we'll try to reinforce the idea within the faction that there are youth characters and that it is a different dynamic when interacting with them.

Thanks for the quick answer, and for wanting to bring it further. 

I know that a lot of the factions, that roleplay street gangs. Such as the hispanic, afro America  gangs and most of the Vanguard sub factions such as Pen1 want their members to start out young and slowly grow up over time. 

And I really thing some community policing and such would do wonders for every bodies RP experience. 

While I was still RPing a minor, I would make it very clear. That my character was underage. 

• Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic