The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

2 minutes ago, HaveADream said:

I would obviously like to see more liaison with the press, it can be offputting finding an interesting story and by the time a statement is possible, it's 'old news', while @Cascade knows how much I appreciate the effort they put into our roleplay, they can only act as the press officer for scenes that they've seen, overall, as boring as it may be, I really would like to see officers outside of MRCAD react to requests from MRCAD and get those press releases out and get those statements to the press. We're infinitely dependent on each other to either advertise the work you do or to get interesting stories that actually have an impact on the macro-world and the immersion we have from it.

Great work with the police, it's a benchmark on how a legal faction should be run.

We recently had a faction leader meeting between the LSPD and FD, with @Sharvit and @Lionhearted (FD's faction leaders) on how we wish to approach the press and give away statements as outsiders to our media departments, like faction representatives would do IRL. We are currently working on a few projects which we know we can get the media involved in, and we will reach out to relevant outlets when we're ready.

The problem is that this requires a LOT of personal time from us as faction leaders which we can't always give. We're trying to find a way that suits all parties and we'll be looking forward to reaching out to the media OOCly to see if there is any way we can make it easy for all parties involved.

• Upvote 1
Just now, HaveADream said:

I would obviously like to see more liaison with the press, it can be offputting finding an interesting story and by the time a statement is possible, it's 'old news', while @Cascade knows how much I appreciate the effort they put into our roleplay, they can only act as the press officer for scenes that they've seen, overall, as boring as it may be, I really would like to see officers outside of MRCAD react to requests from MRCAD and get those press releases out and get those statements to the press. We're infinitely dependent on each other to either advertise the work you do or to get interesting stories that actually have an impact on the macro-world and the immersion we have from it.

Great work with the police, it's a benchmark on how a legal faction should be run.

At the moment this is one of our priorities in MRCAD, build relations with the press and perform more interactions with those factions in general. Cascade already has some plans for that, but, if you have more ideas that are more detailed we can look into it. We've already spoke about this on discord anyways! Besides what I mentioned, we also have plans to make press roleplay surrounding major scenarios that involve more people in general, such as bomb threat, missing person etc etc.

Just now, Big_Smokes said:

We recently had a faction leader meeting between the LSPD and FD, with @Sharvit and @Lionhearted (FD's faction leaders) on how we wish to approach the press and give away statements as outsiders to our media departments, like faction representatives would do IRL. We are currently working on a few projects which we know we can get the media involved in, and we will reach out to relevant outlets when we're ready.

The problem is that this requires a LOT of personal time from us as faction leaders which we can't always give. We're trying to find a way that suits all parties and we'll be looking forward to reaching out to the media OOCly to see if there is any way we can make it easy for all parties involved.

Just now, kilerbite said:

At the moment this is one of our priorities in MRCAD, build relations with the press and perform more interactions with those factions in general. Cascade already has some plans for that, but, if you have more ideas that are more detailed we can look into it. We've already spoke about this on discord anyways! Besides what I mentioned, we also have plans to make press roleplay surrounding major scenarios that involve more people in general, such as bomb threat, missing person etc etc.

Great responses, will definitely reach out to you and look forward to working on this together! Yea, Cascade has really improved the department since I first started doing the press gig, definitely an exciting future.

Edited by HaveADream
1 minute ago, Big_Smokes said:

As for general interaction, you're thinking about this wrong. It sounds to me like your perception of the PD is as if it's one giant entity and everyone is the same. Just as with all the other factions on the server, you will have different interactions with all different faction members. They may share a uniform but for some people that's all they share. Some will ICly be positive towards you and others will not be. It also really depends on how you interact with them. If I misinterpreted what you said, I do apologize, but a lot of people have the tendency to overgeneralize the faction.

Oh, no no. I'm agreeing with you haha.

Each person is different and of course it's dependant on what is currently happening within the server as to whether or not people within the faction interact with the public.

Of course PD shouldn't be judged as a whole because someone may not of been able to get out and have a general chat with a member of the public.

I have seen PD interacting a few times. Seen them attend and make their presence known during car meets etc.

But like I said, I've also seen a lot just sitting in cars. So everyone can't be judged as the same. I most likely worded it wrong.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Jura said:

Oh, no no. I'm agreeing with you haha.

Each person is different and of course it's dependant on what is currently happening within the server as to whether or not people within the faction interact with the public.

Of course PD shouldn't be judged as a whole because someone may not of been able to get out and have a general chat with a member of the public.

I have seen PD interacting a few times. Seen them attend and make their presence known during car meets etc.

But like I said, I've also seen a lot just sitting in cars. So everyone can't be judged as the same. I most likely worded it wrong.

If you're talking about the most recent car meet in Alta, I was actually there myself and I always love attending those. It's as fun in the game as it is IRL to chat shit about cool cars and I'm sure a lot of people around here agree.

I completely understand what you mean though and it's quite alright! At the end of the day the reason I posted this was to gauge how you guys feel about what we're doing, so thank you for weighing in.

Gang Unit is a lot more community oriented IRL. They should be developing a relationship with the younger adults and teens on the streets, right now it's super hostile. I havent seen a police officer reach out to the low income communities 1 on 1.

Hoping something can change there, attitudes of some of the Gang Unit perhaps

Edited by Keta
  • Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Keta said:

Gang Unit is a lot more community oriented IRL. They should be developing a relationship with the younger adults and teens on the streets, right now it's super hostile. I havent seen a police officer reach out to the low income communities 1 on 1.

The Gang and Narcotics division (which hosts the gang enforcement detail) always has this as one of it's main goals. Unfortunately it's very much a two way street; I can give my guys as much feedback as I like on how I feel they should realistically portray gang detectives, but it doesn't work if the community doesn't want to work with them in such a way from an OOC perspective. DB Command is always actively working on training these guys, but it requires both parties involved to do it successfully.

That is however not an excuse. I can see where you are coming from. All I can say is that I guarantee you that we recognize this is an important part of what the Gang Enforcement Detail (and by extent the Gang and Narcotics Division) should be working on, and they will continue to be encouraged to do so through whatever viable means we have.

Edited by Big_Smokes
31 minutes ago, Keta said:

To further touch upon this a bit further, the directive of building rapport with members in low income communities happen more often than you think. There are many stages that one takes when dealing with people in areas associated with a lot of gang violence however as it's been stated before, it is of course a two way street. Rarely ever do kids/young adults actually want to build that level of interaction with the Police on an IC level like they would IRL because there's a lot more risk and extremely little incentive to do so other than getting a quick CK out of whatever faction they've been in. Rapport is extremely important factor in the gang unit that is always stressed however especially due to the high volatile nature of gangs on rp servers, it's a lot more dangerous for cops, even in a partnered unit to just get out and try to talk to people, it has a high chance of ending bad. It's still something the Gang Unit strives to accomplish, it's just difficult to execute overall. 

From a Community Relations stand point, more outreach events can be planned but as stated above, these things are difficult to execute due to the fact that that there is a lack of people playing the role of community activists or are willing to be points of contacts. 

More interaction with speeders and reckless drivers. While I understand that in the past there have been lots of people that drove past PD doing mach one hoping for pursuits and all that, not everyone's got the same plans. I can list off countless encounters where I've seen people run an intersection or do 20-25 over because they didn't see the police unit, only for the police unit to shrug it off because the person drove a sporty looking car.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate PD roleplay. My character got carried away more than once with speeding. This wasn't to provoke anyone or anything, it's just the way he is. And he ended up going past a PD Interceptor that he spotted too late. Now comes the "ohshitimfucked.png" from my character, but the Interceptor simply shrugged it off cause the car's fast by default and I can only assume they thought I was hoping for a pursuit. Lately I've seen a lot of PD units just not pull people over because they automatically assume that the person's gonna evade.

There's a lot of car enthusiasts out there that sometimes speed and run red lights, and to be honest, RP with law enforcement is a massive part of car enthusiast RP. From being pulled over to having shit impounded, checks, or just random talks.

To sum it up, I'm not talking shit about PD or saying how provoking's fun. Hell, if someone kept driving around me hoping for a pursuit, I wouldn't chase them either. But just because a few bad apples beg for pursuits doesn't mean PD should give up pulling over sports cars and all. We're not all here to evade. Like I said, PD RP is vital to car enthusiast roleplay, and it sucks when my character fucks up only for a cop to shrug it off because he thought I'd evade. Long story short, a lot of cops hesitate pulling sports cars over because they assume they'll just evade.

The amount of high ranked police officers (even supervisors) that have unrealistic character portrayal.

The high ranks and supervisors should be people who need to give the community an example of proper character development.

Once I open a few facebrowser pages of high ranked LSPD personnel I instantly cringe, and this has been brought multiple times already.

The second thing is, again, a very talked over topic, robocops. I've been in PD for over 2 years on LSRP and it was the same issue there. The amount of police officers who portray their situations properly is too low, the inner personal feelings, the feel of being worried about someone, upset, etc, is way too low. I know there are police officers IRL who are gonna ticket you for the smallest things as well, but the percentage here is a bit too high.

Combined with above, officers who do not portray their character realistically for then next rank shouldnt be promoted (23 year old sergeants, etc, combined with proper character skin features, not a 30 year old chief looking 17).

Another thing that irritates me, black cruisers? Why? The game gives you an option of having a livery, and with mods, countless of options, but why have marked cruisers, with lightbars, marked black? Judging by LAPD IRL, I dont see them having any blacked out cruisers with lightbars. It kind of turns like FD, where 70% of the cars driven are Grangers instead of fire trucks and ambulances, in PD now you see half the staff driving black cruisers rather than white and black. The portrayal is just generally wrong, in my opinion.

• Upvote 5
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic