Would you prefer Fantasy or Original cars.

vray

Would you prefer Fantasy or IRL cars  

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...

No, that's stupid. This is a roleplay server set in the GTA universe. Real life cars don't exist in the GTA universe. If you know nothing about the GTA universe, it's really not that hard to look up a brand or something on the GTA wiki. We don't need real cars. It'd look dumb.

Edited by Dom.
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I like using the in-game car manufacturers personally. but if the car looks similar to an existing car IRL, there's nothing wrong with using that instead. You'll probably spend 1% of your time, ever, saying 'Oh my car's a ______' or using the name in a /me. It's a ridiculously small issue to obsess about.. and been brought up time and time again.

https://forum.gta.world/en/index.php?/topic/7111-using-real-life-brandmodel-names-in-game/&do=findComment&comment=55199

As far as anything else, using all existing brands & lore brands simultaneously seems fine. It's harmless & absolutely pointless to single out things that might not be in-game due to the limited time, copyright paperwork, & resources that the game devs had.

Okay so here are my two cents;

in my opinion, we should look at the facts. Fact number one is, there are a LOT of cars in the carpool of GTA5; 464 including DLC to be exact. That is more than double than GTA San Andreas offered; the GTA game with the second biggest carpool.

Fact number two; GTA manufacturers are based off of real life and their cars strongly represent that. Obey is Audi, Ubermacht is BMW, and the list goes on.

My honoust and objective opinion is that there are more than enough cars to play with, more than the entire server population can possibly obtain if everyone would get a different vehicle! We dont need vehicle mods and defenitely not those that would break immersion into the game.

You talk about the iPhones and such being immersion breaking, but thats just the text in the store and dialogues. The phone basicly remains the same at every model you buy. Thats a bit different than new cars ?

• Upvote 1

It's funny seeing this entire thread and the massive hate against calling cars their IRL equivalent, when historically there's been such an opposite hatred regarding criminal factions.

In fact, you're not even allowed to create factions based off of GTA's world. You have to do the opposite, which is use IRL criminal enterprises/gangs.

• Upvote 1

Continuity is cool and heavily regarded in game as it is. Car manufacturers are a big part of that. Rockstar pays a lot of money to keep continuity branding in line to real life substitutes. I just think it gives a cool vibe to have these recognized in game makes and models rather than just spilling the beans on real life models, simply because some of them are unattainable or weird to role-play so commonly.

If it's your deal to see an Obey 8F Drafter and say hey that's a 2019 Audi RS5 Coupé considering the amount of them you see in game then you do you but I just think that's bullshit and quite frankly ruins the purpose for me. Trends are developed in game to the contrary of what's entirely realistic or otherwise acceptable and since it's a broader understanding of the GTA universe, continuity blends in nice. I say keep it up.

Edited by liq
22 hours ago, EliH said:

In fact, you're not even allowed to create factions based off of GTA's world. You have to do the opposite, which is use IRL criminal enterprises/gangs.

This should change to be fair, just make it so anyone can make a faction of whatever they like as long as its not immersion breaking, And then let them post said thread without having to apply etc, and only if they are good should they get extended support from FM etc, much like how every other server under the sun does it.

The lore is quite generous when it comes to vehicles and there's no reason not to stick to them. Compared to earlier GTA games, you actually get a manufacturer and model on GTA 5 - which is a lot more immersive. There's no need to be rolling around saying that you're driving a Ford when you have an in game equivalent.

Somebody mentioned that we treat gangs the opposite way, whereby you aren't allowed to use them IC. The gangs created by GTA are very limited and do not come with an expansive history and lore behind them - that being said, they also aren't very realistic. It might be "GTA World", but as far as I'm aware - it's a serious role play server based on real life - not the GTA universe; while some things are to be taken with a pinch of salt (e.g. in game brands) - there are some things that should be struck off to achieve the former; such as the gangs created by Rockstar.

• Thanks 1

There is indeed an extremely wide variety of brands and models in GTA, to the point it makes any reference to RL versions useless and even a little weird. They're displayed everywhere at car retail shops, on ads, ... you really have to ignore a major part of the game to ignore those and use RL stuff instead. All this for no real gain, especially since the cars *ARE NOT* their RL equivalents. You could say "Nice Dodge Charger" for a Buffalo S, except it's not a Dodge Charger. It's widely inspired from one, but there are many differences that anyone with a modicum of knowledge of cars would immediately perceive. Same goes for the Comet RS and Porsche 997, the Obey 9F and the Audi RS5, etc.

As for the gangs, there has been (on GTAW) a perception that the closer you get to RL the better your RP is. I believe, so far, most of us have realized it's far from true, some players offering RP that's exceedingly close from real life and yet its quality is pretty damn low. 

That said, it's true the gangs of the GTA universe are uh... a bit... whimsical, at times? ? So I could understand people deciding to use RL references instead. Unlike with cars, where they're solidly implemented in the game and looking at RL versions seems unnecessary, RL gangs do fit some holes in the GTA lore.