Illegal Roleplay

Roulette

Just now, JayO said:

I'd like to see less illegal and more normal legal RP. Forever getting gun shot wound calls, gets annoying.

If anything this server consists of more normal civ based role play than it does illegal. I would argue that there's more active characters that don't partake in illegal role play. The problem is, you have these players who aren't capable of being creative or maybe it's not frequent enough. There could be house fire calls, domestic abuse and much more from characters that are non gang related, but it seems clearly that's not the case.

Maybe that's the reason it seems the other way around for you.

Just now, cryybabyycryy said:

I'd like to see better illegal rp and less chest puffy-I'm a bad ass-Imma beat you down for calling me a bad word-fearless leader bs rp. 

That I can COMPLETELY agree with. This whole "I'm a big hard ass gang banger routine is boring. Bring something different to the table.

1 minute ago, cryybabyycryy said:

I'd like to see better illegal rp and less chest puffy-I'm a bad ass-Imma beat you down for calling me a bad word-fearless leader bs rp. 

Personally i don't see anything wrong with it. What i do find wrong is these characters allowed to act in such a way and get pissed off when its them who's on the losing end. I'm not intentionally trying to detract the topic at hand, but how many of these characters do you think would still act this way and not take into account the risks involved if their life was able to be put on the line?

Just food for thought. 

1 minute ago, 1357 said:

If anything this server consists of more normal civ based role play than it does illegal. I would argue that there's more active characters that don't partake in illegal role play. The problem is, you have these players who aren't capable of being creative or maybe it's not frequent enough. There could be house fire calls, domestic abuse and much more from characters that are non gang related, but it seems clearly that's not the case.

Maybe that's the reason it seems the other way around for you.

That is true though the vast majority of the calls we get are to gangbanger ares after a shooting. Turn up and the guy RPs dead even if he's only shot in the arm a few times. It just sends the portrayal of RP as severely underpar. 

I've never been involved with illegal RP personally as I have no interest in it what so ever. I know there are extremely good RPers out there on the illegal side though from our perspective we're just constantly going to Forum Drive and Davis. Just comes across as a shoot on sight mentality. 

8 minutes ago, 1357 said:

Personally i don't see anything wrong with it. What i do find wrong is these characters allowed to act in such a way and get pissed off when its them who's on the losing end. I'm not intentionally trying to detract the topic at hand, but how many of these characters do you think would still act this way and not take into account the risks involved if their life was able to be put on the line?

Just food for thought. 

PK has little consequences. IMO who would roll up with a illegally acquired gun and shoot someone for calling them a "fag".. That is putting yourself at risk for some hard time (which also doesn't exist on this server). There is a lack of fear on both sides and always has been. Not to mention I been shot, unarmed, by more PF gun holders than illegal.. The problem rest on both sides. It's not the servers fault either. It's the players. There are a lot of other things an illegal char can be doing that doesn't sit based on violence.. 

Edited by cryybabyycryy

There's a lot of illegal RP, but it's so bad. From my experience, 50% of illegal RP is half-assed robbing where if robber fails, the victim gets reported. 25% is people trying to steal cars and other 25% is trigger-happy gangs who sell drugs and shoot whoever walks by.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, 1357 said:

There's applications because management isn't willing to accept any factions which may base themselves around gangs that otherwise does not exist in South Central or within an LA esque environment in general. Basically, factions are limited to what would only realistically exist in Greater Los Angeles.

To break it down even more, they're structurally reviewing factions to ensure they 'make sense' and take into regard what the servers fictional environment is loosely based on. If the server was based around Chicago for example, they wouldn't accept LA gangs and vice versa. 

So hypothetically, a person creates a faction that doesn't take into account and factor in the above, then they'll be denied. Bonus points lost if the thread isn't visually aesthetically pleasing. 

Mhm. I understand this mindset but I've also read on this forum that Los Santos is a fictional city which shouldn't be mirrored as an exact replica of Los Angeles. With that in mind, the creativity of new gangs that still follow real life principles and behave realistically shouldn't be an issue, right? If a faction is creating amazing roleplay for the server, pushing new boundaries but their only downfall is that they aren't a "gang" that exists in Los Angeles (a place this server is not directly copying)... why should they be denied? 

As I've said: I'm new to this community. I've played here actively now for probably a little over a month (despite registering my account like 2 years ago). I've come from LSRP which also primarily based itself off of Los Angeles with its own adjustments and allowing for the creativity of the players to create their own realistic factions. Some of the best factions I've seen on there were the ones that didn't exist in real life but still behaved realistically just with their own twist. 

With all of this said, I think for 10 factions made (with no applications in place)... maybe 1 or 2 will be "unrealistic"... for instance, I did see someone on the server mentioned above trying to introduce a UK street gang in the middle of Los Santos.... which obviously is dumb and makes zero sense. That was shutdown immediately. Why couldn't that be the case here?

After all, the faction thread should be 90% about displaying the roleplay standard expected from factions in the form of screenshots posted by it's members to the community. That should be the first priority. Right?

I only really mention all of this because the first guy said "More gang roleplay" or something along those lines which is something I've heard guys say to me a lot also on Discord (lack of gangs/factions etc) and that is definitely a result of needing to apply to simply post a faction thread which in my own situation and another person I've been speaking to, has taken 4+ weeks (and still not finished). When you have your members PMing you daily "Any news on the faction application?" and "Any update?" (heres just a few examples I've found to show this isn't just me making it up: https://imgur.com/a/wyinkdK) and you don't have an answer for them, it definitely does demotivate them. Most are sitting on stacks of screenshots waiting to post for weeks but can't show them off and now with faction applications "closed"? I don't understand that at all, to be honest.

It would be definitely easier to let people freely post their faction topics without an application and moderate everything that is posted. If it's not up to standard, lock and archive it. If it is, let them post their content and see how the community responds to it. If it's poor quality or unrealistic, I'm sure the community will overwhelmingly voice that on the topic which will in turn result in the faction being shutdown. But waiting a crazy amount of time to just post your faction topic, leaving members waiting? I don't think that's a working system. 

Edit: I just want to say that this is not meant to be a post downgrading the work Caporegime and Eyebrows do. They've both been respectful and polite to me and I have no complaints about what they do. I simply think for a current system like this to work... you'd need a lot more guys handling applications. I think those two are probably being overwhelmed with forum personal messages hence the delays in actually concluding an application. There is flaws to the system and I'm sure they can be fixed or something else can be tested. This is in no way a detrimental issue.

Edited by Mantle
36 minutes ago, cryybabyycryy said:

(and this comes from a illegal rper...)

Best to post a complaint against those types of people so they're not as frequent.

A large amount of the blame for the lack of illegal RP goes to the players. If you want some illegal RP, take a break from Discord and arrange something with people. If it fails then talk about what went wrong.

9 minutes ago, Aquila said:

Best to post a complaint against those types of people so they're not as frequent.

But there's nothing wrong with that. People do get their shit kicked in for saying the wrong thing to the wrong person and sometimes even worse, like losing their life. You cannot possibly think it's OK to limit someone who chooses to play as a hostile character, do you?

54 minutes ago, cryybabyycryy said:

(and this comes from a illegal rper...)

Words affect different types of people differently.

I understand where you're coming from. It's the vast majority of players who role play as if they're invincible, but instead of dictating it's poor or wrong for players to play like this, essentially limiting character concepts, how else could this be resolved while still giving players the freedom to play how they want?

25 minutes ago, Mantle said:

After all, the faction thread should be 90% about displaying the roleplay standard expected from factions in the form of screenshots posted by it's members to the community. That should be the first priority. Right?

I don't find anything wrong with a simple faction thread and the players responsible proving their capability by letting their role play speak for itself. Faction Management on the other hand views otherwise, sadly.

11 minutes ago, Shmoe said:

I skimmed through this thread and my personal perspective on illegal rp is like a double-edged sword, to be honest. A chunk of illegal rp is terrible, forced, and rushed. Seeing terrible illegal rp degrades it so much and paints it a bad image. But once it's conducted correctly with extreme development leading up to these illegal rp situations. It looks to near perfection and I love seeing actual illegal rp done correctly. Because personally I see illegal rp painted as shitty rp. When in reality it's the person conducting the rp, not the rp itself. There's so much more to rp in the illegal scene, but the majority of people will stick to the basics because they are too afraid to take that leap forward and experiment. I can definitely see an improvement in the illegal rp scene. 

You're 100% right and I don't think anyone would disagree.

A common issue I see is the following: a gang member or broke ass kid from the hood is roleplaying development that leads to a robbery for days (or more) beforehand. He finally bites the bullet and does his robbery on whoever his target may be. His robbery is quick (realistic) and he's out of there without sticking around. Now the victim of this robbery might be thinking "ffs this constant robbing shit is so dumb, all these gangs do is rob people 24/7" because that's all they see at the surface level. Victims of roleplayed situations are quick to jump to conclusions and assume that it was shit tier roleplay because they never see the build up. How does one go about seeing the build up? Faction threads and character stories. Unfortunately, faction threads gain A LOT more attention than character stories so you've a higher chance of your victim seeing the actual heavy RP that went behind what he first believed was some shitty roleplay.

I see this on this thread a lot. A lot of people saying "half assed robberies" but you guys are failing to think that MAYBE behind those robberies is REALISTIC amazing development. I've had situations (on LSRP) before where a corrupt cop was framing my character with a BUNCH of charges which my character was aware of in-character. It was amazing roleplay that was building up for literally over a month. When confronted by another (uninformed) cop, my character acted irrationally and the guy who I was roleplaying with decided "Fuck this, I'm reporting you on the forums" to which he did. When the report was handled and I showed him all of the roleplay that led up to it, he willingly asked for the report to be closed as he was now aware of the development to what led to it. My point being here is: you guys may think that a lot of the situations you find yourself in is half-assed / unrealistic or whatever... but you really need to see the build up before you can be sure of that.

If I'm roleplaying today and my characters best friend gets killed the night before. I'm going to roleplay the affects of that on him accordingly. If my character is outside his home, reflecting on everything and some random guy comes up talking shit... my character would DEFINITELY react differently to how someone who is living a normal life, stress free. You really cannot paint every character under the same brush and this is where I'm in agreement with @1357.

Edited by Mantle