Auto Economy - What's wrong?

MasterChief

7 hours ago, Kestalas said:

4-5 years I completely understand, even 3 years is reasonable for major depreciation depending on the car make/model. However, we're not RP'ing a fast forward in time on the server right? If I own the car for a month, it's a month old. In a month, it hasn't lost 35-40% of it's value. Some cars are sold even faster than that (days/weeks), but people still try to say it's lost all that value? I don't think so. You can find many cars realistically that are a year old and they still sell within 10-15% of its original purchase price, if taken care of and such obviously.

Most of the car owners barely have their cars for a month lol. 

7 hours ago, Peter said:

True. Ultimately the server needs to implement a mileage system and wear items on cars. I think LS-RP had battery and engine life.

I've been hoping for it for like a year. If it's gonna happen, most likely it's in the bottom of priority list. 

That's how the economy is right now.

Dealerships will buy out your car for a  price a little over scrap so you prefer to sell to them rather than scrap it. 

Then they go ahead and sell it for a little profit, still staying under DS price. At the end of the day they handle advertising, have a lot to pay rent for, and they generally bother with selling the cars, whereas all you do is drive the car to them. 

If you wanna get a good price, take your time and sell the car yourself. 

Modifications don't hold any high value either IRL and there aren't much people that are gonna pay more just because your car is modified (talking about street cars). 

It's how it is IRL as well, business people try to buy your car as cheap as they can. 

16 hours ago, Roulette said:

What I derived from your original post was that you seemed to have a problem with characters looking for vehicle discounts which occurs quite frequently in real life. At the same time I've managed to sell personal vehicles for a decent price for about 10% less than what I bought them for, despite some of those vehicles being generally considered undesirable. 

I will say that the vehicle economy here is quite unique. Although there's a diverse range of vehicles available in V, people don't take much in to account when considering purchasing a vehicle, with speed and aesthetics being the largest factors in their decision. I think if more features were introduced for vehicles, such as more in-depth tuning (and not just adding a few aesthetic mods), would surely diversify the vehicle economy and make vehicle role-play more interesting.

Mileage, acceleration, top speed and handling should all be variables used when determining the scope of capacity for a vehicle. It seems the primary concern right now (and rightly so) is the incentive to go faster. There are no other incentive in purchasing a vehicle other than getting from A to B and then the variable which is speed. Probably why the only vehicle tuned, which exceeds it's stock price is the V12, because it goes so darn fast. I believe readjusting the average top speed among all vehicles will help solve this issue. Most cars goes around 120 fully tuned, only other upgrade from there on out is purchasing a V12 or a sports car. Just my few cents on the matter.

I normally offer around $10k-$20k below the dealership price if the car is fully tuned etc.

Supply and demand for cars also impacts the sale price on a car, much like it does with housing.

If people pay X amount others will try and sell for the same price.

Edited by Jura

nothing's wrong with the auto economy, lowballers have always existed and always will. if you don't want to sell your car at the price that people are giving you, then don't. if people aren't giving you a price that you feel is good, then other people will go for that price and it's up to you to adjust yourself.

i don't feel it's smart to see it as "something wrong with the economy" as much as a logical progression of the server - if it's that way, that's because we (the players) allowed it to be that way. if cars are selling for half their dealership value that's because people are selling them for that much.

that being said i have absolutely no issue selling my vehicles for what some people might see as fucked up prices (i.e very close to dealership unregistered value). maybe you're just not patient enough, not good at selling your shit or not finding the right customers.

also dealerships are scammy as fuck with the prices they buy cars at (which is understandable, they need to turn a profit). That might be one of the causes why used cars sell for so low.