Auto Economy - What's wrong?

MasterChief

How much does it costs to remove modifications? Originally I wanted to reply with a comment supporting the OP, but I didn't know that it costs money to remove motivations, so if someone could please tell me how much that is.. ? Then I have a little bit more of an idea what we're talking about. ?

42 minutes ago, BinaryRun said:

How much does it costs to remove modifications? Originally I wanted to reply with a comment supporting the OP, but I didn't know that it costs money to remove motivations, so if someone could please tell me how much that is.. ? Then I have a little bit more of an idea what we're talking about. ?

My main issue is with performance modifications not being taken into account. Visual modifications not having any bearing on price is something I understand. Visual is subjective and one person may not like something another person did, so that I completely get lol.

4 hours ago, BinaryRun said:

It's a bit complicated. At the moment, the way customization works, it costs just as much to install a part as it costs to remove it.

So if a front bumper costs $2000, it also costs $2000 to turn it back to stock.

9 hours ago, Kestalas said:

Simple question. Why is the economy for auto sales so messed up or are people just cheap because they can be? ?

I get you can be patient and wait for that one person who will give a fair price for a car, but other than that people just try to be as cheap as possible. I buy a car for 50,000 and then put all the performance parts/upgrades into it. If you do engine, turbo, brakes, transmission that's what 25,000 roughly? Add a new paint job on top of it. I understand depreciation but holy crap ? After purchase price, registration and performance upgrades you've got about 80,000 into it and someone will come along and be like, "I'll give you 35,000". I just don't get it lol. How did it get so messed up? Or am I just crazy? You can be honest lol. This is just my opinion.

Note: I understand that no one will pay over the original dealership price, I was just implying that there should be more reasonable offers. People are just cheap I guess, lol.

RP server, this happens in real life too lol 

Sorry to ruin your dreams but if you ever get rich enough to buy a new BMW in real life, don't be surprised when you go to sell it in 4-5 years and it is worth 1/3 of what you paid

9 hours ago, Lance said:

Also another thing, people buy a car first thing they do is ''max it out'' fr, IRL it's not that common to have a super maxed car, while it's impossible to find a stock car in gtaw.

Just tell lowballers to fuck off though, that's what I do at least.

You raise a good point but this is a way we can have "trim levels" in-game. Like in real life, you can get a Mustang at $26k or $56k. In GTA World there are no trim levels, every car is the same, but you can substitute this with the repair shop modifications. 

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

Sorry to ruin your dreams but if you ever get rich enough to buy a new BMW in real life, don't be surprised when you go to sell it in 4-5 years and it is worth 1/3 of what you paid

4-5 years I completely understand, even 3 years is reasonable for major depreciation depending on the car make/model. However, we're not RP'ing a fast forward in time on the server right? If I own the car for a month, it's a month old. In a month, it hasn't lost 35-40% of it's value. Some cars are sold even faster than that (days/weeks), but people still try to say it's lost all that value? I don't think so. You can find many cars realistically that are a year old and they still sell within 10-15% of its original purchase price, if taken care of and such obviously.

Edited by Kestalas
15 minutes ago, Kestalas said:

4-5 years I completely understand, even 3 years is reasonable for major depreciation depending on the car make/model. However, we're not RP'ing a fast forward in time on the server right? If I own the car for a month, it's a month old. In a month, it hasn't lost 35-40% of it's value. Some cars are sold even faster than that (days/weeks), but people still try to say it's lost all that value? I don't think so.

True. Ultimately the server needs to implement a mileage system and wear items on cars. I think LS-RP had battery and engine life. Otherwise, as you said, 1-day-old cars would not be able to compete with identical 90-day-old cars on the used market.

Also regarding the the time thing, I don't think it's fair to compare real life depreciation with GTA World. Yes, in real life, a 1 year old car is almost new. But in the scale of GTA World, that's obviously a year roleplay-ly but it's practically a long time. In the game you could grind for for like a month (probably less) and get a sports car. Most people in real life can't save up for a month and buy a new sports car. GTA World is undeniably more fast-paced than real life. 

Edited by Peter
2 minutes ago, Peter said:

True. Ultimately the server needs to implement a mileage system and wear items on cars. I think LS-RP had battery and engine life. Otherwise, as you said, 1-day-old cars would not be able to compete with identical 90-day-old cars.

Also regarding the the time thing, I don't think it's fair to compare real life depreciation with GTA World. Yes, in real life, a 1 year old car is almost new. But in the scale of GTA World, that's obviously a year roleplay-ly but it's practically a long time. In the game you could grind for for like a month (probably less) and get a sports car. Most people in real life can't save up for a month and buy a new sports car. GTA World is undeniably more fast-paced than real life. 

I agree with you on the time, that's what I was asking about the time reference for in-game. I still don't think there should be such a huge drop in value so quickly though. I'm not sure what it should be, but there should be a compromise somewhere. Like you mentioned about the trim levels, there should be some sort of value added (like a Sport trim versus a base model) when performance modifications are done, thus adding to the overall value that should be taken into account when selling to a private party. Selling a completely custom tuned/upgraded vehicle shouldn't be expected to be sold at a -35+% loss from original price, it should be more like 10-20% at the most in my opinion. The frame of reference for a car's value on this server is definitely out of whack lol.

It imo is pretty realistic. As soon as you drive a car off the lot IRL it depreciates about halfway. And IRL anytime you go to sell a car with rims or whatever it really doesnt add to the value. I've owned about 13 cars so far so I've more then had the full experience of buying a car for 5k irl, putting 2k into it and getting 2500 resale