Auto Economy - What's wrong?

MasterChief

Simple question. Why is the economy for auto sales so messed up or are people just cheap because they can be? ?

I get you can be patient and wait for that one person who will give a fair price for a car, but other than that people just try to be as cheap as possible. I buy a car for 50,000 and then put all the performance parts/upgrades into it. If you do engine, turbo, brakes, transmission that's what 25,000 roughly? Add a new paint job on top of it. I understand depreciation but holy crap ? After purchase price, registration and performance upgrades you've got about 80,000 into it and someone will come along and be like, "I'll give you 35,000". I just don't get it lol. How did it get so messed up? Or am I just crazy? You can be honest lol. This is just my opinion.

Note: I understand that no one will pay over the original dealership price, I was just implying that there should be more reasonable offers. People are just cheap I guess, lol.

Edited by Kestalas

People who buy cars are just cheap and people who sell cars are greedy. It's always been like that. I'm not going to buy a USED car for over DS price, doesn't work like that. Also another thing, people buy a car first thing they do is ''max it out'' fr, IRL it's not that common to have a super maxed car, while it's impossible to find a stock car in gtaw.

Just tell lowballers to fuck off though, that's what I do at least.

• Upvote 2

Well yeah, let me rephrase. I don't expect someone to purchase over the original price. However with the work that's put into it, I could see a more reasonable offer than all these low ball offers who basically ignore that there are modifications. I'm not trying to be greedy, I'm just trying to get a fair price. I don't need the money, it's just the realistic principle of the situation. 

14 minutes ago, Kestalas said:

Well yeah, let me rephrase. I don't expect someone to purchase over the original price. However with the work that's put into it, I could see a more reasonable offer than all these low ball offers who basically ignore that there are modifications. I'm not trying to be greedy, I'm just trying to get a fair price. I don't need the money, it's just the realistic principle of the situation. 

I get what you're saying yeah and I agree that auto economy is just weird with all those mint condition maxed ''almost new'' cars.

16 minutes ago, Kestalas said:

Let me tell you that IRL this happens too, aftermarket parts isn't going to raise the value of your car, in fact it reduces it's value even more because it's modified and not original

• Upvote 3
19 minutes ago, Rin said:

Let me tell you that IRL this happens too, aftermarket parts isn't going to raise the value of your car, in fact it reduces it's value even more because it's modified and not original

I respectfully disagree. I see dealerships put aftermarket parts on a used vehicle all the time (bigger wheels, bumpers, custom suspensions, etc.) and they always sell for within a few thousand of the original price (usually if they are within 1-2 years of the purchase year... selling a 2018 in 2019, for example). Most cars in this game are sold relatively new, so losing 40% of their value when selling it to a private party is pretty extreme in my opinion.

Edited by Kestalas
  • Upvote 1

I see where you're coming from when it comes to performance parts. As far as visual modifications, that is a deal breaker for me due to the current system, where it will cost me just as much to remove the parts as it is for you to apply them.
Therefore, I'm personally not willing to pay extra for customization choices that I might find questionable or that are simply not my taste, for example. 

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

I see where you're coming from when it comes to performance parts. As far as visual modifications, that is a deal breaker for me due to the current system, where it will cost me just as much to remove the parts as it is for you to apply them.
Therefore, I'm personally not willing to pay extra for customization choices that I might find questionable or that are simply not my taste, for example. 

I can understand that completely. I wouldn't want to pay a ton to remove someone else's visual customization either if I thought they looked awful lol.

24 minutes ago, Roulette said:

This is an IC issue and I don't see any reason to bring it up on the forums.

It's an open discussion about the overall economy for auto purchases. It's perfectly acceptable here. An Admin just posted above you, so I'm pretty sure it's just fine. Move along unless you have something of value to add to the discussion, thanks.

Edited by Kestalas
Just now, Kestalas said:

It's an open discussion about the overall economy for auto purchases. It's perfectly acceptable here. Move along.

What I derived from your original post was that you seemed to have a problem with characters looking for vehicle discounts which occurs quite frequently in real life. At the same time I've managed to sell personal vehicles for a decent price for about 10% less than what I bought them for, despite some of those vehicles being generally considered undesirable. 

I will say that the vehicle economy here is quite unique. Although there's a diverse range of vehicles available in V, people don't take much in to account when considering purchasing a vehicle, with speed and aesthetics being the largest factors in their decision. I think if more features were introduced for vehicles, such as more in-depth tuning (and not just adding a few aesthetic mods), would surely diversify the vehicle economy and make vehicle role-play more interesting.

• Upvote 2