Trucker Job, what do you really think?

JayO

1 hour ago, Browneboys said:

To add onto your thoughts, I believe another part of the problem is that during the times of day where more players and truckers are active and there is less work to go around, businesses get so overwhelmed by 4 or 5 vans pulling into their shops at the same time that the shop owners literally don't even want to roleplay it out.

Overall, for what the trucking job is right now, it is definitely much better than what it was before. I roleplayed component deliveries regularly as well as courier jobs on my character before the trucking update got announced, so in that regards, it'll be a dream come true if I can ever find the time to grind 1,000 fucking deliveries to unlock the semi when rage fixes it's sync issues.

There is a lot that needs to be improved on though before I think the trucking update finds it's groove.

For one, as it's been mentioned before, there needs to be more means of static money continuously being brought into the economy. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think trucking companies get any sort of bonuses like the bars and shops in town do. I think that adding some kind of mark for trucking companies to hit in crate deliveries should pay the company a bit of a bonus.

For example every 100th crate delivered  by a trucking company provides the firm with an extra 1000 dollars. I don't know what magic numbers would work to make such a system fair and also worthwhile, but where there's a will, there's a way. Implementing a system like this would not only help with circulating new money into the economy without needing to add static delivery points to the map but would also incentivise trucking company owners to provide more roleplaying opportunities for their drivers, through productivity bonuses, or enable them to provide more office oriented roles in the company with their extra funds such as recruiting managers, fleet maintaince, dispatchers, etc.

Alternatively, another idea that comes to mind is to perhaps make crates a little bit cheaper, and place static delivery points on the map that pay the same base rates for crates that player owned shops do. This puts player owned shops in a pinch to charge more for their deliveries depending on location, need, etc, hence making the extra pay system not completely useless and encourages some extra pay to roleplay properly because currently, as long as shops are patient, drivers will inevitably deliver to their shops when there is not enough work to go around. Seeing there would now be NPC shops that would give drivers plenty of work, it would force a supply and demand factor on the price of deliveries and gives drivers and business owners opportunities to roleplay in a way that is much more fulfilling and less chaotic than having 60 vans pull up cuz it's the only shop with work.

The ultimate reality is though, there are going to be people doing trucking jobs that will try and grind this job no matter what simply due to it's nature and there is no perfect solution around it. I think in time as more jobs are scripted in that that may help, but I think for the most part that fixing one hole in the current system will make another hole bigger. It's just a matter of finding out how big you want each hole to be.

This! Thanks dude. 

2 minutes ago, Trukken said:

Limiting the time you have to spend at a drop off point is not going to change whether or not people roleplay delivering. As many said before the job simply needs to get company bound that way we can monitor people better and fire them if evidance is shown that one person doesnt roleplay. 

I dont aim to milk alll the business owners from their hard earned cash, to fill up a business with 15k comps it takes roughly 85k dollars, I have no idea how much money you can make on that amount of comps but further rising the price of the crates wont do any good for them I belive. 

Lowering the requirements further is an absolute joke, everyone will want to drive big rigs to businesses which lets be honest will lead to more confusion and more annoyance from the business owners side. I think the delivery amounts are in the right space. Its not something unachievable i have something around 450 since the trucking script is in place(3weeks i guess?) and i have not been playing everyday. 

Yeah the prices for business owners would be a problem too. And personally I am not supporting lowering the delivery amounts either but when it can be implemented with some extra measures that can at least slower a single delivery time down then why now - It would maybe force players to wait around the spot a little longer and do some potential RP meanwhile.

It's not even that truckers are not RP'ing their every delivery - its about EVERYBODY. People should RP things like buying items from a store , tattoo parlor, haircuts, fishing .. buying clothes... all that. I know some do but 90% of the time they aint.

Another thing is the lack of other jobs + compared with trucking now - fish prices are too high too.

3 minutes ago, Tr1bal said:

Yeah the prices for business owners would be a problem too. And personally I am not supporting lowering the delivery amounts either but when it can be implemented with some extra measures that can at least slower a single delivery time down then why now - It would maybe force players to wait around the spot a little longer and do some potential RP meanwhile.

It's not even that truckers are not RP'ing their every delivery - its about EVERYBODY. People should RP things like buying items from a store , tattoo parlor, haircuts, fishing .. buying clothes... all that. I know some do but 90% of the time they aint.

Another thing is the lack of other jobs + compared with trucking now - fish prices are too high too.

While I agree with you on the fish prices I dont think its time to talk about that lets stay at topic.

I wouldnt make it mandatory to roleplay every single element of trucking while no people are around. Of course if there is even just another trucker near you, you better start roleplaying your shit, but otherwise its just a chore no one really wants, henve i think timers at businesses would be flawed. Its more up to the staff to regulate those who dont Rp deliveries when people are around imo. 

On another server i played on before i joined GTAW the truck deliveries were loaded and unloaded automatically. So say you'd go to a depot to pick up your load a message would pop up saying "Loading, please wait." The same thing would happen at deliveries with an unloading message. If a timer was to be implemented to slow down deliveries, I would not be opposed to a system like that. It regulates the amount of time to do a delivery, while allowing drivers and receivers to roleplay the delivery in the meantime.

1 hour ago, Browneboys said:

On another server i played on before i joined GTAW the truck deliveries were loaded and unloaded automatically. So say you'd go to a depot to pick up your load a message would pop up saying "Loading, please wait." The same thing would happen at deliveries with an unloading message. If a timer was to be implemented to slow down deliveries, I would not be opposed to a system like that. It regulates the amount of time to do a delivery, while allowing drivers and receivers to roleplay the delivery in the meantime.

This would also decrease the load on the server with the continous /crate commands

• Upvote 1

speaking of crate commands, its tedious doing load unload sell crate for every box.  its giving me carpal tunnel from typung those commands so much.  i like seeing my character do the anims, thats really cool, but i would like to be able to sell multiple crates with one command

load 10 crates, do the anim

drive to destination

unload 2 crates

sell 2 crates

drive to next destination

unload 8 crates

sell 8 crates

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

The trucking job has always been an interesting job for me, personally. What I think is that if you actually wanna enjoy this action you should also roleplay pretty much around it. If you just do trucking without any kind of roleplay is equivalent with not doing it at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

Something definitely needs to change, I had my business script implemented yesterday and within 20 minutes I was -$20,000 in debt and had all kinds of trucks just rushing from the depot to my business, crashing into lamp posts, and just generally parking like idiots.

There's a lack of businesses to deliver to for a reason, it's simply killing businesses off and putting them into loads of debt. Which in return when new businesses are implemented with the script automatically set up so it's accepting deliveries at $500 per crate, it instantly puts them in debt.

Ideally people need to stop using this new trucking system like the old one and actually role play to a decent standard.

Edited by Jura
4 hours ago, Jura said:

Something definitely needs to change, I had my business script implemented yesterday and within 20 minutes I was -$20,000 in debt and had all kinds of trucks just rushing from the depot to my business, crashing into lamp posts, and just generally parking like idiots.

There's a lack of businesses to deliver to for a reason, it's simply killing businesses off and putting them into loads of debt. Which in return when new businesses are implemented with the script automatically set up so it's accepting deliveries at $500 per crate, it instantly puts them in debt.

Ideally people need to stop using this new trucking system like the old one and actually role play to a decent standard.

There should be a daily maximum that business owners can set, along with the actual maximum they will allow (if they were to leave it for several days). For example, I want a daily (24 hours) maximum of 5,000 components but my overall maximum is set at 75000. So it would take 15 days to reach my maximum component limit. 

Also, something I’ve noticed that it’s the same payment for long distance deliveries which makes zero logical sense. Any businesses that open up outside the main city or the crate suppliers located outside the city offer no more incentive to deliver 10+ miles round trip than delivering 2 miles from a crate supplier. It takes more time, for the same payment. I’m not sure what could be done, but I feel that’s just off. Even with the courier system, a delivery out to the mines was a higher payment for the distance driven. 

I'd say the system has the core idea down pretty good. Player driven trucking companies are a great way of doing it. The problem is that depending on the character you're roleplaying, you don't have a lot of job opportunities. In the end you need money and jobs are a way of getting it.

Lets face it, a lot of the truckers do the job for the money and not for their immense love of roleplaying the same thing hundreds of times, over and over,to get a new delivery vehicle and to get some chump change. When trucking is their best way of making money, they lose their motivation quite quickly and their long and intricate /me:s become just one small line they use to cover their ass from the RP rule. The job is extremely repetetive and requires you to type the same commands over and over.

In my opinion, the trucking needs to rely less on text commands and player typed /me commands. Make the loading and unloading part of the game and make it more slick. Make it so every time you pick up or put down a crate your character does a short animation. Make opening the back doors easier and make it a requirement before you start loading or unloading. The trucking job should be more visual and immersive gameplay wise. Maybe have simple /ame:s that are automatically shown when the player does simple actions. It needs to have the proper gameplay elements and mechanics to support the RP. I enjoy GTA World and think the trucking idea is superior to many other servers, but GTA World could take some inspiration and example from servers like Eclipse. I like World's trucking idea more but I think Eclipse does the actual gameplay part of their courier job better. I'd love to see a mix with the best of both worlds.

On 7/31/2019 at 7:26 AM, Browneboys said:

Alternatively, another idea that comes to mind is to perhaps make crates a little bit cheaper, and place static delivery points on the map that pay the same base rates for crates that player owned shops do.

I think this is a great idea. The fact is that the trucking job doesn't pay that well and requires serious grinding to get any major monetary value from it. Adding static points and encouraging competition would be great. Every time I see an extra pay delivery every trucker on the whole server flocks to it with their mouth's watering from the thought. They're so rare but give very good return to the truckers, if this would become the norm the trucking itself should take a bit longer or be more challenging in some way, otherwise the trucking job might become a bit too strong.

I think the system has a lot of potential but it needs to be majorly polished. I'd like to remind that in the end this is a roleplay experience in a game and therefor the game should be fluent and support the roleplay. Not be a mess of using macros to type the same commands 12+ times to unload a bunch of crates. That dulls down and bores the players and in the end sucks out their motivation. Bad gameplay affects the roleplay too and lowers the overall quality of it.

Edited by Blu Moonlight
  • Upvote 2