Trucker Job, what do you really think?

JayO

9 hours ago, Mahiko said:

This is against the rules, they can't.

I got warned by an administrator when I sold 'beer' at my bar without giving an actual beer item. So it's simply a matter of reporting them.

9 hours ago, Trukken said:

It's still prominent and everyone should me made aware of this.

1 hour ago, Chipsdose said:

Well, I guess it could be seen as powergaming.

It is definitely a major issue in some places. I think some people have previously touched on this subject to where certain bartenders don't have access to the business inventory to hand out alcoholic items (I'm not sure to the validity of this, but that's what I've read). Other places are just flat out "RP" items and don't even sell items as simple as a beer, but still charge money. There should definitely be a clarification by Administration @Nervous @Ethanol on this subject and an announcement/amendment made to the rules (I've seen comments they are rewriting the rules as well, so this should be in there).

I think the other issue is the product pricing. I've had many bartenders hand me a beer, but charge me FAR less than what it should cost based on in-game economy pricing. This leads me to believe that some business owners don't give a crap about what they actually make on the products sold. One bar I've bought a whiskey and been way over charged and another bar I buy a whiskey and I get charged less than what a beer should cost. I understand there are factors in terms of competition between places of business, but there should be some sort of standard in pricing or enforcement of standards when bar owners hire bartenders (ensuring there is an accurate pricing model for them to charge, realistic to the in-game pricing model of what they've bought it for from an alcohol distributor). 

@JayO Per your original topic:

I agree with some points that @St3fan[NL] made about how it should eventually be completely run by player-owned companies. Since the system is new, people should have the chance to try it out on their own. However, it should end up where it's strictly player-owned trucking businesses. This will create the most amount of RP opportunities between trucking companies, bidding wars for contracts with companies and businesses, employee hiring (drivers, managers, etc.).

I'm 50/50 on whether or not deliveries should be allowed when no one is online because of the fact that this is a video game and not real life. People have real lives and can't always be online 24/7. However, it's not realistic whatsoever to accept deliveries without a receiving manager/employee in charge on duty at a place of business. Trucking companies don't just pull up to a business and drop pallets of supplies and drive off with no one to sign for it. I'm not sure what could be done here, to be honest.

Lastly, even with the adjustment where people are notified to "RP at all times", it's still a shit show at certain points. People don't RP dropping supplies off, they just spam the commands, get in their trucks and go. This was the same issue with the Courier system and I don't know how it can be fixed. Obviously these people should be reported and I hope PLM is receiving some of these reports. 

• Thanks 1

Gotta say I Love It. This changed my whole RP experience. I found my purpose in server when i was about to quit. Almost finished my own trucking company. Can’t be more thankful for what Nervous did there. Amazing just the way it is. 

Job itself is okay, idea is good, trucking is needed, it's fun, but at the end of the day it's just an updated courier job. 90% drivers I see use a van, there's no choice of Long Haul Trucking, old school players might remember, it was promised more than a year ago, but still nothing. Most likely due to rage not updating their awful sync, so I'm not going to blame Nervous for rage promising something and not acting.

RP wise, standard is quite low, I've seen and heard how truckers just go over the speed limit, drive like idiots when they deliver goods, there's no RP just quickly loading their shit off and going on another shift. This has to be changed.

But I love trucking companies, that Blue Water(I think it was=) And Haul It are doing a great job on hiring people and keeping that RP atmosphere of a real trucking company, so good job on that, more power should be given to trucking companies though, most likely people who don't RP are new players who want to grind money. The system where people are forced to join a trucking company in order to work would be good, since we already have active and serious companies, I don't see why not.

13 hours ago, Trukken said:

Also, something should definitely be done with night clubs selling "imaginary" alcohol to their guests, I have not seen a single alcohol delivery since the shops got filled up, literally no one is using the scripted resource, same goes for Tobacco and Fuel.

I buy my alcohol from alcohol stores, but the thing is, I don't need much since I open once a week and all people drink is Whiskey, Vodka and Beer anyway.

Basically, I buy a good amount of alcohol once and it lasts more than one month.

3 hours ago, Mahiko said:

but the standard has always been either you pay 100$ for an item or 2$ like real life for a 'RP' beer.

There was a discussion, there's no bs like ''real life prices'', gtaw has its own economy, like 70 bucks for a beer is normal, people should forget the real-life prices and focus on this, yes economy is fucked up and I'd prefer if it was closer to real life, but it's not.

10 hours ago, Tr1bal said:

Advanced mining, factory jobs and some office jobs as well. We need to work out on how to implement those systems and how to integrate them into our economic chain.

Yeah, sadly the only job is trucking. So you either go trucking, go bartending, RP security or just rob people, scripted career choices are fairly limited unless you add a little bit of imagination.

• Applaud 1

I just wanted to add something on the comments of people rushing to their trucking destinations and being very non-RP about it. While the pop-up does warn truckers about roleplaying when others are around etc, I think a lot of truckers feel pressured to simply rush the command wise delivery first and then either do the RP after that or they might skip the roleplay all together.

The reason behind this is probably because lately there has been such a lack of businesses requesting supplies, that once a business becomes available, you want to do as many runs as possible, since on a slow day, you might otherwise not have the opportunity to do more then 1 delivery throughout the entire day. While rushing might give players the option to do at least 2.

• Applaud 1
17 hours ago, BinaryRun said:

I think a lot of truckers feel pressured to simply rush the command wise delivery first and then either do the RP after that or they might skip the roleplay all together.

The reason behind this is probably because lately there has been such a lack of businesses requesting supplies, that once a business becomes available, you want to do as many runs as possible, since on a slow day, you might otherwise not have the opportunity to do more then 1 delivery throughout the entire day. While rushing might give players the option to do at least 2.

To add onto your thoughts, I believe another part of the problem is that during the times of day where more players and truckers are active and there is less work to go around, businesses get so overwhelmed by 4 or 5 vans pulling into their shops at the same time that the shop owners literally don't even want to roleplay it out.

Overall, for what the trucking job is right now, it is definitely much better than what it was before. I roleplayed component deliveries regularly as well as courier jobs on my character before the trucking update got announced, so in that regards, it'll be a dream come true if I can ever find the time to grind 1,000 fucking deliveries to unlock the semi when rage fixes it's sync issues.

There is a lot that needs to be improved on though before I think the trucking update finds it's groove.

For one, as it's been mentioned before, there needs to be more means of static money continuously being brought into the economy. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think trucking companies get any sort of bonuses like the bars and shops in town do. I think that adding some kind of mark for trucking companies to hit in crate deliveries should pay the company a bit of a bonus.

For example every 100th crate delivered  by a trucking company provides the firm with an extra 1000 dollars. I don't know what magic numbers would work to make such a system fair and also worthwhile, but where there's a will, there's a way. Implementing a system like this would not only help with circulating new money into the economy without needing to add static delivery points to the map but would also incentivise trucking company owners to provide more roleplaying opportunities for their drivers, through productivity bonuses, or enable them to provide more office oriented roles in the company with their extra funds such as recruiting managers, fleet maintaince, dispatchers, etc.

Alternatively, another idea that comes to mind is to perhaps make crates a little bit cheaper, and place static delivery points on the map that pay the same base rates for crates that player owned shops do. This puts player owned shops in a pinch to charge more for their deliveries depending on location, need, etc, hence making the extra pay system not completely useless and encourages some extra pay to roleplay properly because currently, as long as shops are patient, drivers will inevitably deliver to their shops when there is not enough work to go around. Seeing there would now be NPC shops that would give drivers plenty of work, it would force a supply and demand factor on the price of deliveries and gives drivers and business owners opportunities to roleplay in a way that is much more fulfilling and less chaotic than having 60 vans pull up cuz it's the only shop with work.

The ultimate reality is though, there are going to be people doing trucking jobs that will try and grind this job no matter what simply due to it's nature and there is no perfect solution around it. I think in time as more jobs are scripted in that that may help, but I think for the most part that fixing one hole in the current system will make another hole bigger. It's just a matter of finding out how big you want each hole to be.

6 minutes ago, Browneboys said:

grind 1,000 fucking deliveries to unlock the semi

7 minutes ago, Browneboys said:

4 or 5 vans pulling into their shops at the same time that the shop owners literally don't even want to roleplay it out.

I think these two points can be solved by adding these 4 changes and updates as a one single denominator :

1. Add an extra timer on how much time the trucker has to stay on the delivery spot with his truck. So it literally can't be rushed anymore. You can run your boxes in but you still have to be there - forcing some further RP around it.
  2. Lifting the pay for truckers per delivery to balance the waiting timer  out.
  3. Lower the crate-components ratio to balance the higher pay and smooth out the lack of delivery routes.
  4. Lower the delivery count requirements for ranks as the deliveries are done much slower(But to make it fair , delete the ranks after namechanging).

1 hour ago, Tr1bal said:

I think these two points can be solved by adding these 4 changes and updates as a one single denominator :

1. Add an extra timer on how much time the trucker has to stay on the delivery spot with his truck. So it literally can't be rushed anymore. You can run your boxes in but you still have to be there - forcing some further RP around it.
  2. Lifting the pay for truckers per delivery to balance the waiting timer  out.
  3. Lower the crate-components ratio to balance the higher pay and smooth out the lack of delivery routes.
  4. Lower the delivery count requirements for ranks as the deliveries are done much slower(But to make it fair , delete the ranks after namechanging).

Limiting the time you have to spend at a drop off point is not going to change whether or not people roleplay delivering. As many said before the job simply needs to get company bound that way we can monitor people better and fire them if evidance is shown that one person doesnt roleplay. 

I dont aim to milk alll the business owners from their hard earned cash, to fill up a business with 15k comps it takes roughly 85k dollars, I have no idea how much money you can make on that amount of comps but further rising the price of the crates wont do any good for them I belive. 

Lowering the requirements further is an absolute joke, everyone will want to drive big rigs to businesses which lets be honest will lead to more confusion and more annoyance from the business owners side. I think the delivery amounts are in the right space. Its not something unachievable i have something around 450 since the trucking script is in place(3weeks i guess?) and i have not been playing everyday.