Enviroment Roleplay and Background choices.

Graham

Before I start with the topic I would like to point out why I'm posting this on off-topic and not in General even though it has to do with Roleplay. I do it because it regards the Spanish GTA:W server, also owned by @Nervous. It wouldn't make sense to discuss it because these matters don't concern this server, yet I would like to hear your opinion and get a fresh view on the topic, because I am losing confidence on my arguments.

So let's get started. There's this thing called Enviroment Roleplay, which I've never experience here nor in FiveRP (A GTMP server Nervous bought), or that other popular SAMP server I know some of you have been in. The concept is relatively simple: The city is populated. Based on this concept, some rules have been made to make the world more believable. After you start firing or kill someone on the street, rob a car or enter a house to steal you, the criminal, call the cops acting as a pedestrian, even if you and your victims are the only ones on the entire neighborhood. That's not it, you can also roleplay by using /do NPCs, like workers for your business, other citizens on the street, etc. There's a thread going on there where an user requests the administration to "make official enviroment threads", so people know the enviroment of each neighborhood, see where this and that business has cameras and where, which NPC works where, and what not. I would like to ask what's your take on the concept, since I haven't seen it here and things go here better than there.

There's also a debate on background choices. As you may know @Dominykas. posted a thread for Roleplay Quality Reports, where he specifies this is a reason to get people reported:

Unrealistic character choices, (For example- a gangster living in poverty to be driving a high end sports car. An unmarried Police Officer I driving expensive sports cars and to be living in multi million dollar homes.)

The issue is that most users are fine with roleplaying that they inherited a house that doesn't match their background story, that winning the lottery on your background story is absolutely acceptable, and having a $150K car and a big house is acceptable because you could've asked credit to a bank, even if you're working in a Burger Shot. Do you think this might be counterproductive or damaging in any sense?, does nature play a role by making them fail terribly? Is it mere bad interpretation or can it be classified as powergaming? can you powergame on your background story?

Edited by Graham
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello.

My name is jcat, and I have an opinion about everything.

In my opinion, environment roleplay would be a big pain in the ass.  Everyone would be imagining a different environment unless admins kept a very tight rein on it, with frequently updated and detailed environment forum posts.  It would require players to spend time and energy thinking about the environment instead of their own rp. 

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, jcat said:

In my opinion, environment roleplay would be a big pain in the ass.  Everyone would be imagining a different environment unless admins kept a very tight rein on it, with frequently updated and detailed environment forum posts.  It would require players to spend time and energy thinking about the environment instead of their own rp. 

Even if admins kept a look at it, I think it would be a poor representation of the state of a part of the map. Admins can spectate you while you roleplay, but there are not enough of them to simply keep track of everything that happens within a faction or a neighborhood, I doubt citizens of a Sureño owned neighborhood would call the cops on those gangs, regardless if they cause trouble on the neighborhood or not. In regards to interiors it leads to people to not roleplay in them, bartenders are roleplayed through /do, so there's no need to hire them, cameras are set in an "enviroment post", so mapping is not used, or there's no need to use it, all of this makes it neccesary to search and read a forum post in order to know where the stuff is. And it can be abused heavily, seen people having Electromagnetic Interference Generators on their faction hub even.