Constant game stutter when driving.

Tudor

Hello there! I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 (i5-7300HQ, 8GB RAM, GTX 1050ti + an aftermarket SSD) and my game stutters when I drive fast, I don't know what is the cause of this. It's not some virus because I just reinstalled windows, and it simply makes me mad. I've asked more people with 8gb ram and they say it's not a problem, because that was my first thought. Also, the chat lags sometimes when driving fast, my text and other texts appear only after I stop. Overheating isn't a problem. Does anyone have a fix for this?

33 minutes ago, Tudor said:

Hello there! I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 (i5-7300HQ, 8GB RAM, GTX 1050ti + an aftermarket SSD) and my game stutters when I drive fast, I don't know what is the cause of this. It's not some virus because I just reinstalled windows, and it simply makes me mad. I've asked more people with 8gb ram and they say it's not a problem, because that was my first thought. Also, the chat lags sometimes when driving fast, my text and other texts appear only after I stop. Overheating isn't a problem. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Do you run the game in windowed or windowed borderless mode? I’ve noticed a serious difference with frame stutter when running in those modes rather than full screen. Full screen is noticeably smoother for me. Sucks you can’t alt tab in full screen but I’d rather a smoother game lol

As others have said with shadow related settings and decrease the draw distance as well in advanced graphics settings. 

Edited by Kestalas
28 minutes ago, Kestalas said:

Do you run the game in windowed or windowed borderless mode? I’ve noticed a serious difference with frame stutter when running in those modes rather than full screen. Full screen is noticeably smoother for me. Sucks you can’t alt tab in full screen but I’d rather a smoother game lol

As others have said with shadow related settings and decrease the draw distance as well in advanced graphics settings. 

I'll try doing that and see, thanks.

1 hour ago, Kestalas said:

Tried that, didn't work.

Based off of looking up your specs, it's a CPU issue. Your CPU may be bottle-necking the game. 

My advice would be to turn off anything else that may be eating your CPU cycles, and turning down some graphics settings may also reduce the stress on the CPU. Mobile CPU's aren't the strongest things, and it could easily be the issue.

I'd advise trying to monitor your CPU usage via an overlay of some sort, and your GPU / RAM usage too. See if anything is maxed out, if it is, that's likely the cause of the issue.

Try closing any background tasks that you don't need, such as your internet browser, and stuff like that. That should hopefully help your issue, if it doesn't fix it. 

It's possible the 8GB of RAM COULD be a limitation, but unless you monitor it, and see it use all 8GB, you can't know for sure. My money is on the CPU being the limiting factor, so you need to try shutting everything non essential down first.

As others have mentioned, try V-Sync, and I'd even recommend maybe trying turning VSync on HALF your monitor refresh rate, to test if you still get these issues. (Game won't appear as smooth on this setting though, but limiting your FPS will help free up CPU cycles and hopefully eliminate a stutter problem, lower FPS is better than no FPS.)

Edited by Matrix-