Distributing /ad To All Active News Companies

HaveADream

Short description: This suggestion adds a system in which /ad income is distributed to all active news companies, in order to help the growth of these firms and to allow for expansion for a line of business that often struggles while providing a public good.

Detailed description: Essentially, the idea can be taken in many directions; either a system in which /ad revenue is distributed to all active news companies equally, which can be changed on a weekly basis if they don't meet the activity requirements of Faction Management or a system in which variables can affect the distribution of /ad income, which can be adjusted by Faction Management, for example, faction age, quality of articles, quantity of articles, and so on and so forth. This is to replace the current system in which /ad money is not distributed at all. A news organisation should be active for over a month and meet roleplay standards to receive this income, this is to stop sham companies propping up to receive ad income.

Commands to add: None other than potential administrative commands.

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? News companies provide a very useful public good to the server both ICly and OOCly, the latter by immersion, the former by providing legal roleplay opportunities throughout the server. Unfortunately, players are motivated by money, and there isn't any justification in the budget to hire none-journalistic, but essential, staff, for example, researchers, lawyers, secretaries, and so on. It also leaves very little room for the ability to buy vehicles for the business, relying on simple player-to-player sales of article advertisements, in which there isn't a high enough demand, but plenty of supply and the option of substitutes, to justify paying a high price for advertisement slots. With the current price of article advertisements, paying active, journalistic staff is a net loss.

Additional information:

Edited by HaveADream
  • Upvote 1

I actually agree with this, currently adverts don't involve any rp while they are an IC thing.

I think what should happen is that news companies should sell like an advertisement "pass" or whatever you want to call it where you can buy an X amount of adverts. So for example I go down to a news agency and interact with someone and purchase X amounts of adverts that I can post whenever. Also introduce a limit so that RP should be repeated and not just someone paying 50k for like 5000 adverts. Have a cap of how many adverts you can have like lets say 30-50 after which you would go down to the news agency to purchase another "pass" to advertise. This would also make people think about doing these " XXXXX IS OPEN" over and over again as they might run out of adverts and so on.

Just now, shiroq said:

I actually agree with this, currently adverts don't involve any rp while they are an IC thing.

I think what should happen is that news companies should sell like an advertisement "pass" or whatever you want to call it where you can buy an X amount of adverts. So for example I go down to a news agency and interact with someone and purchase X amounts of adverts that I can post whenever. Also introduce a limit so that RP should be repeated and not just someone paying 50k for like 5000 adverts. Have a cap of how many adverts you can have like lets say 30-50 after which you would go down to the news agency to purchase another "pass" to advertise. This would also make people think about doing these " XXXXX IS OPEN" over and over again as they might run out of adverts and so on.

That's a system that could work to me - although it may deter people from using the ads by not understanding how to buy these passes or by using illegal roleplay to obtain these passes. 

The problem is that people aren't willing to be a journalist and take several hours to research a story, produce it, have it edited, have it sent back, have it posted, etc for what they could earn in an hour in a nightclub selling drinks. While I previously tried to have my payment for articles on a level that makes business sense, this did not work as adverts sold for so little that ultimately, people weren't interested. While that's a failure of roleplay to me, personally, it's also a true reality that we find ourselves in a cash-focused economy.

2 hours ago, cookiejar said:

Correct me if I am wrong. But as far as I heard, this idea has already been suggested previously and is apart of the news company revamp that is still being worked on. It's just a matter of time and patience. 

Honestly I hadn't heard anything about this - exciting news if so! 

52 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Echoing this, kinda. 

Why don't you actively look for investors for your news org? It'll be more beneficial, surely? 

There will be very few investors willing to take a loss. It's essentially charity at that point. While Saints News doesn't actively lose money and is indeed stable in terms of finances, the projections I've made as I'm personally moving more towards a management role than a journalistic role shows Saints making a loss.

The company was profitable when it was just me - now that it's not, it's going to be a lot harder. 

It's strange to hear that people believe news companies don't deserve this, and it's not like news companies will make absolutely loads of money from this, the old system had Weazel taking $50 from the $250, with the gov making $200, which, after the changes to the ad system and the delays in place, meant the company wasn't making an incredible amount of money, but enough to sustain their business AFAIK.

Edited by HaveADream