/startshift mandatory to make a shop available

Coni

Short description: Stop businesses from being cash cows without effort; put them under the same rights and restrictions as the business "Garage"

Detailed description:

The discussion has been held in multiple threads now and the frustration from people who actively try to roleplay around the RP jobs that were introduced for this purpose can be heard all over: 

What I request is that ALL businesses stop being functional unless someone is employed and actively working. Same as with garages. The need to cut your hair, get a tattoo, buy clothes, buy cigarettes at a 24/7 all fall under the same logic as tuning your car - it's not mandatory for roleplay. It can be postponed to a later time when someone is working the job.

Businesses currently have no incentive to employ people (same income potential with reduced income) and people have no incentive to visit stores that have active employees (more money and time investment for the same service you get elsewhere automated). This makes RP jobs the least attractive ones right now. People who stick to them for roleplay and character development purposes are punished for this while those who drop them to instead become truckers, mechanics or bartenders are even encouraged to do so. In my opinion this should not be the case, especially in regards as to why those jobs where introduced in the first place. 

Businesses should be something one tends to. Right now multiple stores (e.g. LS Tattoo Parlor, 24/7s, etc.) are owned by people who either are not active anymore or are but don't tend to their businesses. Those businesses should create roleplay first and then income. Right now they create income and providing said areas with roleplay is punished by profit margin loss. 

Commands to add: N/A

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? More roleplay, more benefit in being employed, more incentive to BE employed, more incentive to engage people in roleplay to purchase those things, more fairness in regards to how car garages currently work, more thought put behind purchasing a business (can I tend to it actively, can I make it cough up profit?) or more incentive behind selling a business (losing money as not tending to it comes at a costly price). 

Additional information: The downside could be that people still don't work those jobs despite being offered a position, causing server features to be non-available for a long period of time. I however don't think this will be the case as the increased income potential (people can't avoid you) will directly affect the interactions you get as well as the money you make - thus making those jobs BETTER than working engine jobs, not WORSE. Encouraging roleplay jobs over engine jobs should be a high priority on a server that prides itself in putting roleplay first. 

Edited by Coni
  • Developer

Would only be fair in my opinion. Why should a mechanic store NEED people on shift for it to work and pretty much every other shop just can be walked in on and with a few clicks and taps on the keyboard you are done.

Supporting, but then we need active 24/7 owners, hairdressers etc etc else those businesses become inactive thus no access to the items.

This is especially good once I scripted the business mod and admin script so a business can have managers to hire and fire and not just the owner.

a.) Increase income (commission based government bonus) and add a daily tax. This way active businesses negate the tax with the gov bonus while those who dont get drowned under the tax. 

At a certain point businesses could be repoed based on missing tax payments. 

b.) Track when the last time was someone went on /startshift. If that date is longer than 7 days in the past, contact owner. If if happens again - repo. 

Advanced issues found

33 minutes ago, Coni said:

cut your hair, get a tattoo, buy clothes

For barbers and clothes stores, they don't actually use the same system as garages and can't have people working there, nobody actually owns the script for the barber's shop and the clothes script isn't being given out either atm.

As for these three I'd argue that it's vital they need to be available without employees as it allows newer players and people who have namechanged to be able to customise their character in the way that's meant to fit them when they start. This was something Nervous stated when I was in Property Management and why stores that offer customisation are always set to have blips (as well as stores that are always open like 24/7s etc too but that's separate to what I'm talking about.)

I do agree that places like tattoo parlors should have a decreased income when they're not actively owned which I thought was already a system.

Then make those scripts available and instead give people who namechange the same menu as if they created a new character? 

I dont think that one thing should influence the other. Those stores are IC while a namechange isnt and therefore it shouldnt be a requirement to keep IC things available for OOC / engine related shortcomings in that regard. 

Essentially clothing store and barber shop owners profit ICly from the ooc need to customize a new character. That should be s big no-no

Edited by Coni
2 minutes ago, St3fan[NL] said:

Maybe only force player owner biz to have mandatory startshift then?

Pretty sure that was the original plan with the business script where they could be set as RP only and only gain money when people are working there but idk what happened with that.

Advanced issues found

3 minutes ago, Coni said:

Essentially clothing store and barber shop owners profit ICly from the ooc need to customize a new character. That should be s big no-no

If you read my post properly, you'll see that I said they don't have the /startshift stuff, they only have the actual customisation script which isn't given out because it's a money generator.