Using 20$ (( 2000$ ))

zaXer.

Am I the only one that believes such usage should be banned?

PLayer A sells an item for 2k, but decides to advertise it as 20$ anyways, does the following;

"it costs 20$ ((2000$, 20000$ etc))"

I mean, I wouldnt pay them 2k just because they told me in brackets thats what they mean IC.

We have a quite stable economy set and I dont think such usage should be allowed.

5 minutes ago, Hal said:

Are people actually doing this? I don't think they should be allowed, that's a bit absurd. 

Yes, it literally makes some objects be cheaper compared to others, like

Selling a movie for 60$ when you actually charge 6k, which ICly turns into the movie costing less than a sandwich in a 24/7 (80$)

It's called inflation, they're rp'ng selling the product for 60$ and not 6000$ because nobody in their life buys a dvd for 6000$.

We can not take the prices of things seriously when in vehicles they don't make any sense, or that a flashlight costs more than a box of 200 bullets.

If they sell a DVD at 6000$ it is because unlike real life, that DVD is sold to millions of people, and on the server it only sells to a dozen people.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Jennie said:

It's called inflation, they're rp'ng selling the product for 60$ and not 6000$ because nobody in their life buys a dvd for 6000$.

We can not take the prices of things seriously when in vehicles they don't make any sense, or that a flashlight costs more than a box of 200 bullets.

If they sell a DVD at 6000$ it is because unlike real life, that DVD is sold to millions of people, and on the server it only sells to a dozen people.

Agree.

Another example: 

Some people sell switchblades for 5000$ (which is a normal price these days) but IRL it makes no sense to buy a switchblade for 5000$ so what people usually do is telling you it costs 50$/500$ IC and telling you the real price OOC which is 5000$. 

Eventually, people are using it to be more realistic. It shouldn't really bother the players, they would've bought it for the same price, they're just doing it for the RP so the price will somehow make sense.  ? 

We're not here to portray an economy 1:1. Our economy is based off on items value and demand, same as IRL.

If you're telling me ICly to pay 20$ for something, I'm paying you 20, not 2k.

A boombox costs 5k. A knife costs 5k.

You dont get 800$ IRL each hour for sitting on your ass like in game, do you?

There's lots of stuff to take in consideration when doing this, and this type of "pls buy a dvd for 6k IRL" is not valid due to the points above.

Edited by zaXer.
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
9 minutes ago, zaXer. said:

We're not here to portray an economy 1:1. Our economy is based off on items value and demand, same as IRL.

If you're telling me ICly to pay 20$ for something, I'm paying you 20, not 2k.

A boombox costs 5k. A knife costs 5k.

You dont get 800$ IRL each hour for sitting on your ass like in game, do you?

There's lots of stuff to take in consideration when doing this, and this type of "pls buy a dvd for 6k IRL" is not valid due to the points above.

The script shouldn't solely dictate your roleplay ability, that's completely non sensical. Of course people dont get paid 500 dollars for existing but they would get a monthly allowance if they were on welfare and had to use EBT/Food stamps which is what that hourly check more or less simulates. So in theory, yes there's a with in realism reason why that occurs. 

If our econemy was actually properly based off of proper supply and demand, then things would be priced waaaay differently. Hell the most player driven game in existence (EVE Online) had an economist to keep the game in check and the moment CCP decided they didn't need him anymore, the econemy went into immediate inflation. People will always want more bang for their buck. 

Just because i sit with half a million dollars and over a million dollars in assests, doesnt suddenly make me roleplay a millionare, that just wouldn't make sense for my character. Just like how it doesn't make sense to buy a DVD for 6k or buying a drink at a bar for 500 dollars. So more power to the people who attempt to keep up with the sense and immersion of realism.

I don't get unless server staff tell people to stop, how this is an issue. It's not like you're getting scammed or in turn scamming that person since they give you the script wise price.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
3 minutes ago, Jedai said:

The script shouldn't solely dictate your roleplay ability, that's completely non sensical. Of course people dont get paid 500 dollars for existing but they would get a monthly allowance if they were on welfare and had to use EBT/Food stamps which is what that hourly check more or less simulates. So in theory, yes there's a with in realism reason why that occurs. 

If our econemy was actually properly based off of proper supply and demand, then things would be priced waaaay differently. Hell the most player driven game in existence (EVE Online) had an economist to keep the game in check and the moment CCP decided they didn't need him anymore, the econemy went into immediate inflation. People will always want more bang for their buck. 

Just because i sit with half a million dollars and over a million dollars in assests, doesnt suddenly make me roleplay a millionare, that just wouldn't make sense for my character. Just like how it doesn't make sense to buy a DVD for 6k or buying a drink at a bar for 500 dollars. So more power to the people who attempt to keep up with the sense and immersion of realism.

I don't get unless server staff tell people to stop, how this is an issue. It's not like you're getting scammed or in turn scamming that person since they give you the script wise price.

The problem is when you conflict stuff. You're using two different currencies in the same money world.

You sell a DVD for 20$, I sell a beer for 80$, based on the in-game real prices. It turns out your DVD is 4x times cheaper than a beer.

It's a big problem which annoys me and a lot of other players I know. 

The fact you have a million dollar in assets doesnt make you a millionaire, and speaking real prices in that case wont get you poor either.

• Upvote 1