Using 20$ (( 2000$ ))

zaXer.

3 minutes ago, shotgun_sam said:

$1000 bills don't exist. We aren't RPing in a world of fiction we are RPing the real world. I don't see why your getting so agitated over the fact that some people find it less realistic when you're supposed to RPing a poor homeless drug addict but dropping 6k on a cheap dvd

Please quote signs of my aggetation?

We are not roleplaying the real world. We are roleplaying the gta universe. Thats what you need to understand (look at the post above you for reference). 

1 hour ago, shotgun_sam said:

$1000 bills don't exist. We aren't RPing in a world of fiction we are RPing the real world. I don't see why your getting so agitated over the fact that some people find it less realistic when you're supposed to RPing a poor homeless drug addict but dropping 6k on a cheap dvd

Pedantic commentary incoming: we're role-playing fictional stories in a 'realistic' environment. This is not the 'real-world' in a 1:1 way and presumably never will be.

$1,000 dollars in-game isn't worth $1,000USD. 

$1,000 bills do exist, but not in USD.

The idea that 'walking around with thousands of dollars' is unrealistic only holds weight if we assume that what we're role-playing is a 1:1 carbon-copy of California/The United States -- which we are not. One example is the (now-defunct) Italian Lira, of which $1,000USD would equate to $1,700,000ITL~; not only were you, in fact, walking around with 'thousands of dollars', but you were walking around with close to two million. That wasn't 'crazy' to Italians, but rather, a simple fact of life. $1,000,000ITL would provide for a fun weekend out and your groceries, but not much else.

The value of items are the value that they are. Whether someone role-plays $60 being '(($6000))' doesn't change the actual cost being $6,000. Players are only frustrated (or confused) by this if it's their first time experiencing this distinction or if they try to hard to equate prices in-game to prices in real-life. No, backpacks don't cost $2,000 in real-life. But this is not real-life -- in fact, 'real-life' is a null concept to our characters, because this IS real-life for them. Ergo, backpacks cost $2,000 in Los Santos. Trying to make sense of this by referring to exterior realities that don't exist for our characters can only lead to irritation for all involved in this endeavour.

What @Jedai wrote is how I manage things personally as well. I have nearly $250,000 in assets, but I don't role-play having $250,000. I pick and choose how I approach money in-game in order to cultivate a certain bracket of wealth which I feel would be reasonable or 'realistic' for my character to possess. That means only owning an Asterope and a small apartment, even though I could afford a large home and/or a super-car. But somebody who doesn't do these things is not breaking any rules whatsoever if they decide to look at the $250,000 in their possession and say "I have $250,000". Mine is a self-made imposition; theirs is as well. However ultimately, again, we are forced to pay for things at the price they are set. A backpack will still be $2,000.

You shouldn't be ashamed to ask $2,000 for your DVD, it's not 2,000 USD, it's our own economy and we can't break the game / jobs because we want a 1:1 real life replica, that's not the goal here. We are strict roleplayers with our own economy that works well as is.

• Upvote 5

It also looks stupid to ask for one price while you actually want another. If it's such a huge deal that rustles your jimmies too much then RP it as a debit card you pay with or use wire transfers more. 

I'd much rather deal with massive inflation and high prices than the mixing of IC / OOC eyesore. It's not perfect but it's the way it is.  And if you're such an economic crusader who wants it to mirror RL so much then go on and suggest something on the suggestion board or add to already suggested post. It would appear this can be just as polarizing subject as the whole CK / PK debate. 

anyway, my opinion very very important example;

i see this alot at gas stations.

they tend to RP saying for example that my 10 donuts im buying will be 8$, even though its 800$. 

i think we should just stick to the prices that exist even though they don't make sense. try to ignore it.

Edited by cracked
On 7/20/2019 at 1:14 PM, Coni said:

Please quote signs of my aggetation?

We are not roleplaying the real world. We are roleplaying the gta universe. Thats what you need to understand (look at the post above you for reference). 

Ok since we're not RPing the real world can I have access to grenade launchers, RPGs and sticky bombs because in gta lore you can buy them from an ammunation

34 minutes ago, shotgun_sam said:

Ok since we're not RPing the real world can I have access to grenade launchers, RPGs and sticky bombs because in gta lore you can buy them from an ammunation

That is an baaaad example, as pr the laws that are in place in the San Andreas(GTAW) in which we RP youre not allowed to own such weapons, so your point is not really valid, GTAW is it own entity in parallel with the world we live in and the world of Grand theft auto and has it's own economy and laws.

Think of like this, our chars has grown up with these prices they are normal to us, they have no reference to prices from a world they don't know exist.

As pr the debate on bills, lets just say there at least has been countires with bills that say millions on them, so it's not hard to imagine our world in GTAW has bills that match our economy.

That's just my 2 million cents on the matter.

Edited by StoneFire
  • Upvote 2
On 7/20/2019 at 5:37 PM, Nervous said:

You shouldn't be ashamed to ask $2,000 for your DVD, it's not 2,000 USD, it's our own economy and we can't break the game / jobs because we want a 1:1 real life replica, that's not the goal here. We are strict roleplayers with our own economy that works well as is.

For me personally brackets only have informative value. But then I am not ashamed. I got quite some money for being there.