RP Quality of Life - Available Jobs

3 hours ago, Coni said:

There are no illegal tattoos on GTA:W. Drop the argument, you have no base for it and nobody sane accepts your "BuT lOoK aT rEaLlIfE!" argument. The fact EVERY. SINGLE. CHARACTER. on this server went to a legal tattoo parlor to get their tattoos disproves you. Period. 

My post provided a solution to the issue you mention regardless. You're not adding to the issue at hand at this point since you pull assumptions out of nowhere that you use as base for it which is why I will drop the discussion with you on this subject at this point. 

Dude go to a tattoo parlour irl and ask them to put "FUCK COPS" on your knuckles, EC13 on ur neck and five tear drops on u. see what they say lol

2 minutes ago, shotgun_sam said:

Dude go to a tattoo parlour irl and ask them to put "FUCK COPS" on your knuckles, EC13 on ur neck and five tear drops on u. see what they say lol

Yeah cool - this is not IRL. I lost hope to get this through your head two posts from you ago. 

GTA Tattoo Artists do it. Exhibit A: Singleplayer. Don't like the lore of the GTA World? 

Maybe you'd like to check out SecondLife - they might try to replicate RL as close as possible. We here try to replicate the GTA world as close as possible. This was confirmed by Nervous two or three times now. If you can't accept this then this project might not be for you, mate. 

Edited by Coni

ok, but who actually enjoys that? it's like, please guys step forward and let it be known lol. i mean, i'm not at anybody's throat or critical of any particular playstyle, i just don't think that anyone actually consistently enjoys mundane or repetitive roleplay beyond their imaginary concept of what other roleplayers should do. 

i can name exactly 1 player that committed to roleplaying a mundane task (manning a counter) for a longer period of time throughout the course of 14 years of roleplaying on different platforms - and he was literally a legend in the community for it. that's how much of a unicorn he was. other than that, the players and groups i've seen attempting it gave up on the notion pretty quickly, unless the mundane task/job included actual action (driving vehicles or a combination of such things), side activities, a lot of freedom to do other things, or the mundane task was a cover for more exciting activities to begin with. 

always feels like, to me anyway, that people wish for menial irl jobs to be implemented for selfish reasons. aka someone would surely enjoy manning a counter for hours on end on a daily basis, so i could come by with my character every other week for a quick 2 minutes and have him buy/steal a pack of cigarettes and thus feel more immersed.

maybe it's just me, but i keep seeing content creators work real hard to get these types of concepts realized in-game, just for it to be completely abandoned by the playerbase shortly after, while hardcore (and would be hardcore) rpers remain parading the endless possibilities jobs like these hold for meaningful roleplay. unfortunately that enthusiasm never manifests itself ingame. 

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Five-oh said:

maybe it's just me, but i keep seeing content creators work real hard to get these types of concepts realized in-game, just for it to be completely abandoned by the playerbase shortly after, while hardcore (and would be hardcore) rpers remain parading the endless possibilities jobs like these hold for meaningful roleplay. unfortunately that enthusiasm never manifests itself ingame. 

This is the truth of it. And as well, those who would role-play these things don't need scripts to do so.

If you want to see these things, then go and do them. I don't ask anybody to ever role-play something specific or in a specific way because it only serves to frustrate me once I realize that I can't control anybody but myself.

I tried to actively follow a tattoo artist career and got demotivated more and more by how the system offers little to no support for a roleplay job it introduced in the first place, simultaneously seeing support for jobs that are redundant as hell (2000 nightclubs) or are deeper rooted in RPG than RP. 

I personally never asked for it to be introduced, I got baited into it. I read how roleplay jobs have been introduced (never seen that before), how they are meant to replace engine jobs and once I had my character concept work around one of the more unique ones (tattoo art) I had to find out the hard way that behind the curtains it has nearly not enough support as you'd expect based on the premise I was made to believe. 

Instead trucking got made into the most popular job there is, requiring minimal rp and consisting mostly of driving a vehicle. Engine jobs that offered more roleplay possibility while doing them (e.g. meeting and talking to people while fishing) got hit with a "nerf" essentially and in general it feels - the closer a job is to roleplay than engine the less support it gets system-wise. 

Now (and due to IC events that were unforseen) Mike is  deeper in the - hey who would've guessed - bartending and bar business than in tattooing (so the transition away from it had luckily more IC reasoning behind it than OOC frustration) and the latter will now only be roleplayed for the circle of people I know that appreciate it. 

Servers educate and lead players down certain paths based on which paths are supported, neglected or punished. People who now actively roleplay truckers (and I mean actually roleplay it to the fullest; they exist) would be discouraged from it if packages would suddenly pay $10. Same with IRL really. If a job doesn't allow you to pay bills, you lose motivation to do it. 

Unlike IRL though administration has active influence on which activities are promoted and which arent. And personally I don't feel like roleplay jobs are where the focus lies, right now. 

Edited by Coni

Practically speaking, the server is never going to go out of their way to create scripts for role-play which is rare or even non-existent. It's asking for a cart before you have a horse, so to speak. The reason bars/clubs/titty shacks/whatever have so much support is because the vast majority of the player base spends their team repeating these exact same role-play scenarios over and over and over again, regardless if there are other available options for role-play. For whatever reason, this is what's popular (and has almost always been popular), and ergo, this is what's given support priority. And like it or not, these establishments do provide for fairly consistent interaction and role-play between other players, which is something the trucking, mining, and fishing jobs tend to lack.

Yes, it is frustrating to put in time, effort, good intentions, and role-play into a project which returns very little cash, but if you find the lack of income discouraging, then I'd ask you to check your motives -- is it really the role-play you're doing this for? I understand that some money is necessary, but the $200,00 given to new players in the first 40 hours is a pretty sizable chunk of change that can take you quite a long ways if you aren't trying to be extravagant.

If the discouragement comes from a lack of participants with which to role-play, then that I do understand. However it's the same advice as before -- you can't control other people. You can only keep doing what you're doing.

In the long-term, if you leave a good enough and interesting impact, perhaps other players will take up your task and reciprocate, create, and move the idea forward. As that continues, it reaches a point where the server management may take notice and decide that more tools can be provided to help promote this niche of role-play. But you should never wait for it to happen the other way around.

Again: If you want to see tattoo parlor role-play, you have to do tattoo parlor role-play. There is no way around it, no shortcut, and no handouts to anticipate. You prove the worth of these ideas by putting them into action, not by abstractly asserting that they are valuable and deserve support. Show, don't tell.

Edited by Exploits
  • Upvote 1

I love the feature to work in businesses. I think it's a pretty amazing idea I've never thought about as a developer before. But I would also absolutely hate the idea of forcing this on everybody. 

I mean, if I want to talk to a cashier or become one I could very easily do that IRL. Isn't the entire point of roleplay to be able to do things that you wouldn't immediately be able to do IRL? I sure love using my fantasy in order to come up with things I wouldn't or couldn't ever do IRL but I enjoy roleplaying ingame. 

Sure, if some people want to live in a world that feels like The Sims, they should be able to, and it's good that features are implemented to allow that, but it shouldn't be forced on everyone. I'd even say that with the time I've spent on the server I already found it rather hard to realize my character ideas because it can sometimes feel like a lot is forced onto you already.

Edited by Corne

In my opinion, working in stores seems to be a pointless route for RP. It's pretty minimal and doesn't really contribute to a story.

It can be alright on a server that's based on a small community somewhere on the map, but on a server based in the large LS County it's just tedious. People who go to clothes stores, for example, just want customisation done to their character. It's doubtful that they want to engage in a full hour roleplay session giving/receiving fashion advice from employee to customer. Same with tattoos. I can sort of understand car mechanics, because you could just leave your car at the garage, have work done to it, come back and collect; but with gas stations, tattoo parlours, barbers, clothes stores, it's just a waste of time and effort to interact with players.

Like I said, it'd work in small communities, i.e. if there was an established community based in Sandy Shores or Harmony, then I can see gas station and 24/7 based RP having a purpose.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Aquila said:

In my opinion, working in stores seems to be a pointless route for RP. It's pretty minimal and doesn't really contribute to a story.

It can be alright on a server that's based on a small community somewhere on the map, but on a server based in the large LS County it's just tedious. People who go to clothes stores, for example, just want customisation done to their character. It's doubtful that they want to engage in a full hour roleplay session giving/receiving fashion advice from employee to customer. Same with tattoos. I can sort of understand car mechanics, because you could just leave your car at the garage, have work done to it, come back and collect; but with gas stations, tattoo parlours, barbers, clothes stores, it's just a waste of time and effort to interact with players.

Like I said, it'd work in small communities, i.e. if there was an established community based in Sandy Shores or Harmony, then I can see gas station and 24/7 based RP having a purpose.

Couldn't agree more, also the number of actually useful items that you need on a day to day basis to Rp is pretty slim in grocery stores.