RP Quality of Life - Available Jobs

3 minutes ago, Coni said:

In germany there is a extremely low amount of self-service gas stations.

In the UK we only have self-service gas stations and the actual shop is usually open 24 hours. Nevertheless, we don't even RP in Germany. We RP in America lol

Unfortunately threads get locked mad quick which is why it's hard to engage in a convo and understand certain answers better.

This seems like we are feeding the horse at it's ass and therefore make the assumption it doesn't need food because it obviously isn't chewing it. 

Are people showing no activity in tattoo roleplay because it's used passively or is it used passively because everybody trying to bring activity to said job is burned out by it in two weeks time. 

"Used passively too much" applies to 24/7s and tattoo parlors as we speak because it's usage is 95% done passively. Why? Because a.) it's cheaper to do so and b.) tattoo parlor employees are discouraged because they compete with invisible bots that are cheaper and faster. I can only speak for myself (and I'd assume alot of people out there) if the system would support me as tattoo artist instead of punishing my employeer I'd spend way more time in the tattoo parlor. In return way more people would be "forced" to engage with me and therefore increase my income potential. And if not income potential, at least the roleplay I get out of it. But giving me shit pay + unfair system-introduced competition just makes it a waste of time. 

At this point I have to ask myself why roleplay jobs where introduced in the first place when the only one being worth the effort is the mechanic. I currently feel motivated to drop the tattoo artist trait alltogether and go bartend or truck like 90% of the server is doing. Something that happened with nearly all tattoo artists before me and will after me if the issue remains untreated. 

I wonder why so much effort is being put into an engine job like trucker while the roleplay jobs get bare minimum attention. Trucking should've been left as simplistic as it was and the roleplay jobs should've been focused on. Unless I misunderstood the servers goal (which I thought is sophisticated roleplay). 

Saying jobs only get set into the "roleplay only" mode when the usage is high enough is a reaction. Instead I think management should not REACT but ENACT by making jobs "roleplay only" by default, only allowing temporary engine use if activity dropped. This however requires management to first risk some downtime by doing it anyway and then monitor how business owners and the community adapt. 

EDIT: IDEA: A solution as to how to automate is, is to track the time when somebody was the last time on /startshift .e.g in a tattoo parlor. If it's longer than 12 hours ago, auto-set the job to "engine purchase available". If it's less than 12 hours ago, leave it on "roleplay only". If someone starts a shift automatically reset the "engine purchase available" back to "roleplay only" until the requirement (12 hours no active /startshift) applies again. 

Edited by Coni
edited down to 12 instead of 24 hours to acommodate timezone differences

Just want to say tattoo parlours have a lack of activity because of the market. It's a truth we have to face, 90% of the server are either gangbangers or cops/fd. Most gangbangers only really get gang related tattoos that most tattoo artists refuse to do, so they're usually homemade. Cops and Civilians don't get tattoos apart from a minority. So there isn't really a huge market for a legal tattoo artist as it would be irl

Yeah I'd honestly like to see Parlors behaving like garages. You buy what you like and the player has to roleplay it. Or should, garages are more boring cause the only one roleplaying is the mechanic mostly, while customer either goes afk or offline for some time. In Parlors both are involved, And it can be nice rp session.

Edited by Engelbert
19 minutes ago, shotgun_sam said:

Just want to say tattoo parlours have a lack of activity because of the market. It's a truth we have to face, 90% of the server are either gangbangers or cops/fd. Most gangbangers only really get gang related tattoos that most tattoo artists refuse to do, so they're usually homemade. Cops and Civilians don't get tattoos apart from a minority. So there isn't really a huge market for a legal tattoo artist as it would be irl

Still you go to a store and get those tattoo's engine wise. At that point roleplaying that you did it by yourself / got it from a mate but then running to a store to set it engine-wise could be considered PG. You should leave it up to the character if I he refuses a tattoo. Or in return allow people to do tattoo's where they are, essentially allowing them to roleplay what you described. 

The size of the market shouldn't dictate if you prioritize roleplay over engine or not. I know I could make it worth my while if I would not compete with ghosts who outbid me in time and speed. 

Never seen anyone eat fish on this server either, yet there is a never ending supply of fish and fishers. Going down that path of reasoning ends in unvoluntary hypocrisy. 

If tattoo shops would require active work, most passive tattoo parlors would shut down. The few that remain and would be roleplayed actively (e.g. @Thirteens) would in return get more customers in. Since a tattoo artist has to decide between doing a tattoo or not (and since tattoos are not outlawed in THIS UNIVERSE; which means you can't dictate me to refuse service based on RL artists) I can guarantee you only very few would refuse to. 

Edited by Coni
1 minute ago, Coni said:

Still you go to a store and get those tattoo's engine wise. You should leave it up to me and my character if I do or refuse a tattoo. Or in return allow people to do tattoo's where they are, essentially allowing them to roleplay what you described. 

The size of the market shouldn't dictate if you prioritize roleplay over engine or not. I know I could make it worth my while if I would not compete with ghosts. 

There is a small proportion of the community who want a legal tattoo and it's simply just not possible for you to be online as the same time as those players and if you're not online or their tz what do they do?

19 minutes ago, shotgun_sam said:

There is a small proportion of the community who want a legal tattoo and it's simply just not possible for you to be online as the same time as those players and if you're not online or their tz what do they do?

There are no illegal tattoos on GTA:W. Drop the argument, you have no base for it and nobody sane accepts your "BuT lOoK aT rEaLlIfE!" argument. The fact EVERY. SINGLE. CHARACTER. on this server went to a legal tattoo parlor to get their tattoos disproves you. Period. 

My post provided a solution to the issue you mention regardless. You're not adding to the issue at hand at this point since you pull assumptions out of nowhere that you use as base for it which is why I will drop the discussion with you on this subject at this point. 

retail or working counters if you will, is basic, dreadfully boring/monotone and involves little to no qualification in real life. you'll find a majority of people really don't enjoy working those types of jobs, but have to do it in order to make a living. i mean people already tend to sort of go into an autopilot mode in real life, when they're stuck doing repetitive, simple tasks in real life and as such these types of things really don't translate well into rp games. 

that's also why you won't (typically) see players rp menial things such as going to the bathroom, taking showers, taking the trash out, putting a seatbelt on, cooking or eating. there are rare exceptions sure, but even with those you'll find most players skipping or speeding up some of these processes. even more so when none of the above is based on actual, tangible necessities, but rather your level of imagination or commitment. 

emulating rl to its fullest sounds so cool in theory, but it really isn't when factored in that players usually have like an hour or two a day to play a videogame. so with that in mind, everybody's usually enamored with the concept of having all shop player manned, but very few remain committed to actually participating. depending on the incentives you may secure participation for an initial activity spurt, but be sure to see interest dissipate shortly after.

there's (literally) dozens of previous and current more or less hardcore rp platforms and you will come to find the same thing happening across the board. 

• Applaud 1

I'd say each to their own, some people have fun standing behind counter all day and some don't. People shouldn't be at each others throats just cause someone likes the realism of standing behind the counter all day and some doesn't. First of all people log in to have fun and relax, maybe play something they won't do in real life. 

• Applaud 1