Who's turf is it?

cracked

Nowadays, gangs in Davis go around claiming any turf. When a new "ghetto" faction comes in, they usually RP as if they have been living, and dominating the area/street they are stationed in, even if there is server history on the street. With different gangs trying to move in on a said area, and moving out or moving around etc. 

It just creates canon errors. Errors within story. Few months ago, a black gang was on a street, that owned it and had apparently owned it for -years- according to story, (obviously not in real-time) and now there's a hispanic gang that have also dominated and controlled said street for years apparently, (but only like a week or two in real time)

How does anyone make sense of this? It's almost as if there needs to be a rule that every new fac can't have stayed there forever. It's weird, creates odd issues in RP etc.

Not naming said factions. This happens alot, and very often. It is not about a specific faction. (It just happened very recently again, so I thought of making a thread.)

Feel free to leave opinions below! ?

Edited by cracked
  • Upvote 1

There's this thing called "Faction managment team" and every faction story goes through them. Apparently they have not kept up with this issue.

I assume they will take note upon reviewing new factions and keep this in mind or not it's up to them.

Edited by McCatalyst

This was brought to our/my attention only 5 minutes ago with regards to the gang being referred to in the main topic. If something was overlooked, we'd gladly listen and speak to the people/faction to rectify it but if people make topics first and report it to FM later... I have no fucks given about it not being rectified sooner.

My personal issue, FM aside, there aren't many "gangs" in Davis/around that have left their mark enough to warrant history control. Three members logging on once every two days, shooting something and robbing someone is not enough for me to want to force this level of continuity. I'd say there's a total of 3 factions I can think of in the past year that have left their mark through their roleplay and standards for me to want to see the continuity of the areas they operated in continued and taken into consideration. And that isn't a big number.

I'll leave this open for a short while and see if there's anything worthwhile said.

EDIT: You also need to factor in the fact some lovely faction leaders/members decide to move turf oddly. A lot of the time, it's a waste of my time to keep up. I understand where you're coming from and in my ideal world, the continuity would be forced with an iron fist but first we need factions to improve in quality.

Edited by eyebrows
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, eyebrows said:

This was brought to our/my attention only 5 minutes ago with regards to the gang being referred to in the main topic. If something was overlooked, we'd gladly listen and speak to the people/faction to rectify it but if people make topics first and report it to FM later... I have no fucks given about it not being rectified sooner.

My personal issue, FM aside, there aren't many "gangs" in Davis/around that have left their mark enough to warrant history control. Three members logging on once every two days, shooting something and robbing someone is not enough for me to want to force this level of continuity. I'd say there's a total of 3 factions I can think of in the past year that have left their mark through their roleplay and standards for me to want to see the continuity of the areas they operated in continued and taken into consideration. And that isn't a big number.

I'll leave this open for a short while and see if there's anything worthwhile said.

EDIT: You also need to factor in the fact some lovely faction leaders/members decide to move turf oddly. A lot of the time, it's a waste of my time to keep up.

It's more about the future now. Like, atleast checking if there's any gangs on a specific turf before approving a faction on THAT specific turf.

Also, eh, why close the thread? It's just a discussion! No harm here haha 

Just now, cracked said:

It's more about the future now. Like, atleast checking if there's any gangs on a specific turf before approving a faction on THAT specific turf.

Turf is not OOC controlled. Nor will it ever be. 

It's not closed?

1 minute ago, cracked said:

Two factions can co-exist in the same area, it happens irl and it also happens on our server.

Defining 1 faction per 'turf' or giving a faction exclusive rights to a 'turf' isn't something I want to see on the server. These sort of OOC barriers need to die off with SAMP. 

There's a reason why we don't have a turf map or a gang layout and it's not because it was overlooked, we had to work hard in order to change that mentality on the server as it used to be a thing. 

1 minute ago, eyebrows said:

Turf is not OOC controlled. Nor will it ever be. 

It's not closed?

No, I mean... Story of turf, I guess. Wouldn't make sense if a Crips gang moved into the same block as a Bloods gang that both apparently owned the turf for 20 years. (According to story)

And no, just you said you were going to close it in a while.

I DONT MEAN 1 TURF PER FACTION, sorry, had to get that out, I MEAN, that if a faction wants to have the same turf as another, they shouldn't be able to claim it thru faction story, rather through IC RP

Edited by cracked
1 minute ago, cracked said:

No, I mean... Story of turf, I guess. Wouldn't make sense if a Crips gang moved into the same block as a Bloods gang that both apparently owned the turf for 20 years. (According to story)

And no, just you said you were going to close it in a while.

Area information and background was suggested a while ago by one of our admins however there were issues with it being accepted.

And again it brings me back to my point of... if a faction, for example, was that abysmal and got shut down OOC because of how abysmal it was... would I really want people playing in to their history? It's not as black and white as it seems.

5 minutes ago, eyebrows said:

And again it brings me back to my point of... if a faction, for example, was that abysmal and got shut down OOC because of how abysmal it was... would I really want people playing in to their history? It's not as black and white as it seems.

"1.0 Common Courtesy

While out of character it is expected of you to remain respectful and calm towards others. Always follow an administrator's instructions.

Failing to roleplay a situation is strictly forbidden. You're expected to be roleplaying at all times, If a player breaks the rule during the situation you must finish the roleplay and report later."

etD6ed9.gif