Why call personal messaging personal if it's not personal?

Mantle

Food for thought since I don't understand some of the shit on here, at all. On servers I've played, if you PM someone, admins don't fucking stalk you and watch your PERSONAL conversation because that's what the command implies. It's personal, private and nobody else is stalking you. Well, to my knowledge today, admins decide to invade these personal messages.

Now I'll say two things here, some admins who stalk these PMs have zilch idea of banter between two out-of-character friends. There is no "attempt" to metagame. You either do, or you don't. It's like PMing someone "Turn your phone on man"... they either do... or they don't. If they do, they metagamed that info. If they don't, no metagame happened - simple. There is no fucking attempt in this situation.

I direct this post mostly at ADMIN (removed - not trying to witch hunt) as you were clearly stalking either myself or Fredo trying to catch us on something since you were the same admin who decided to kick me for some bullshit the last day too. Trust me, I've been in roleplay communties far longer than most people and probably longer than yourself. I've a clean record, across the board. What I did IS NOT a rule break. There is NO ATTEMPT in metagame. It either happens or it doesn't. Me and Fredo being good, long-time out-of-character friends obviously were not going to do anything. 

Sort your rules out. You either call it direct messaging (which gets rid of the personal aspect) and let players know that admins will be watching your PMs so joking probably shouldn't be done through PMs or you remove the command entirely OR you let the PMs playout and see if the "attempt" actually turns into a rule break. If you honestly think we were going to follow through with what was PMed in game, you've bit the bullet too early. That's all I'll say here. I think this is needed for discussion as yes, friends do communicate through PMs and now I know that you cannot joke, banter or have some fun with your friends through there without some admin with a grudge taking shit to the extreme.

Despite you asking me why I PMed him and me telling you immediately. "It was a joke" your serious-self still decided to admin jail me, whatever. lol. I now know that these personal messages are not personal at all and the server-wide playerbase should be aware also. Quite shocking that a random player could be communicating with a friend through PMs about a serious real life issue that is quite clearly personal and private and admins can casually watch the whole thing. Very invasive power and something that is not mentioned anywhere through the registration to the server.

No metagame was done, no metagame was going to be done. You just made a mistake as an admin and flexed your muscles. Feel free to discuss although I expect this post to be silenced rather quickly.

Edited by Mantle

You obviously are aggetated, that's why you argue over semantics. Wrongfully at that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_message

That's all I got to say to that. They are all synonyms for the same function - two individuals contacting one another instead of broadcasting their message in a chatroom, area, etc. 

The naming says nothing about the right to full privacy. There are enough third party programs so you can let Zarc Muckerberg or others read your messages instead of Nervous. But I can guarantee you your conversations are nearly not interesting enough for admins to obsess over - except when you commit metagame over them. 

EDIT: Also lol at "Trust me, I've been in roleplay communties far longer than most people and probably longer than yourself."

Edited by Coni
3 minutes ago, Coni said:

You obviously are aggetated, that's why you argue over semantics. Wrongfully at that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_message

That's all I got to say to that. They are all synonyms for the same function - two individuals contacting one another instead of broadcasting their message in a chatroom, area, etc. 

The naming says nothing about the right to full privacy. There are enough third party programs so you can let Zarc Muckerberg or others read your messages instead of Nervous. But I can guarantee you your conversations are nearly not interesting enough for admins to obsess over - except when you commit metagame over them. 

You didn't read my post at all. Congratulations on being the first irrelevant comment.

"two individuals contacting one another" Yeah that's not the case is it mate? Not when there's an admin trying to shut down any form of harmless fun between friends through PERSONAL (google definition: belonging to or affecting a particular person rather than anyone else.) message.

All in all, I don't really care about the admin jail as it's wrong. I don't need to prove myself lol. There is no "attempt" in meta gaming info, as I've already said. It either happens... or it doesn't. There is no middle ground. 

This post is ultimately to figure out why a command is called personal messaging if it's not personal? Thankfully I didn't speak about anything involving my actual real life on there that said admin probably would've gossiped about. You can say "guarantee you your conversations are nearly not interesting enough for admins to obsess over" which is frankly stupid. If the story is juicy enough, people talk about it. Period. Get rid of the command, change the name or a disclaimer DURING registration. Easy. I wouldn't be joking on there if I realized over-the-top serious admins watch it looking for something to get upset about.

Edited by Mantle

I sent a similar letter to NSA about my "personal life" , they owe me a new door now. But seriously, you should not tell someone of PM's to turn on their phone.

5 minutes ago, Mantle said:

You didn't read my post at all. Congratulations on being the first irrelevant comment.

"two individuals contacting one another" Yeah that's not the case is it mate? Not when there's an admin trying to shut down any form of harmless fun between friends through PERSONAL (google definition: belonging to or affecting a particular person rather than anyone else.) message.

The provider of said service is not part of "anyone else". Why would I bother to read an obviously passive aggressive thread from someone who can't get his emotions sorted because he "fantasized" about metagame or however you put it. Did you not contact him and him contact you through PMs? Did they get lost in a broadcast channel and had to be picked up by someone? No. They got it on their screen. That's what personal messaging refers to. 

"Trust me, I work in IT propably longer than anyone on this planet ever has, I know this."

Also I have to object. The first irrelevant comment was the one I reacted to ? 

Edited by Coni
2 minutes ago, Tr1bal said:

I sent a similar letter to NSA about my "personal life" , they owe me a new door now. But seriously, you should not tell someone of PM's to turn on their phone.

They either do or they don't. No inbetween. The phone goes on - they meta gamed the info. The phone doesn't go on - no meta game happened. That would be an actual situation however where clearly no joking is involved.

Joking would be more like:

"Yo bro you afk, aint answering your phone"

"Getting arrested, cant lol"

"rip lol, let me know where you're at and I'll come blast them"

If that situation above DOES NOT play out in game, nothing was meta gamed. As meta game, by definition, is the usage of out-of-character information for in-character gain. There is nothing to be gained if the ABOVE is never performed or even attempted to be performed in game. It is just a mere, joking conversation between two friends in a PERSONAL message.

Everything is logged upon the server, just like varying other communities. If you've been a part of communities for long periods of time, as you've stated then how are you not aware of the fact that your personal communications are logged and capable of being viewed. If anything, you gave the knowledge and sure, it may be up to them to use said information but you still transmitted it. You gave them the option to metagame, but it's very much the same as telling someone something along the lines of "Hey, xxx is a snitch!" through a PM. Sure, they may not act on it, but their attitude OOCly can change drastically after said knowledge.

2 minutes ago, Coni said:

The provider of said service is not part of "anyone else". Why would I bother to read an obviously passive aggressive thread from someone who can't get his emotions sorted because he "fantasized" about metagame or however you put it. Did you not contact him and him contact you through PMs? Did they get lost in a broadcast channel and had to be picked up by someone? No. They got it on their screen. That's what personal messaging refers to. 

"Trust me, I work in IT propably longer than anyone on this planet ever has, I know this."

Also I have to object. The first irrelevant comment was the one I reacted to ? 

English is your 2nd language, assuming you're German as your profile states. You probably have no grasp on what something "personal" even means. If I personal message you, it's private. 

I'm not being passive-aggressive either as that would apply I'm trying to avoid confrontation. I'm quite literally confronting and ASKING others to discuss this issue. That is, by definition, the opposite of what passive-aggressive would imply. I'm being out-right honest and saying what has come to my mind regarding this quite obvious ambiguous command. 

1 minute ago, Ylva said:

Everything is logged upon the server, just like varying other communities. If you've been a part of communities for long periods of time, as you've stated then how are you not aware of the fact that your personal communications are logged and capable of being viewed. If anything, you gave the knowledge and sure, it may be up to them to use said information but you still transmitted it. You gave them the option to metagame, but it's very much the same as telling someone something along the lines of "Hey, xxx is a snitch!" through a PM. Sure, they may not act on it, but their attitude OOCly can change drastically after said knowledge.

How can the attitude change in a situation regarding a phone being turned on and/or a location given? It can't. It either happens... or it doesn't. There is zero attempt involved. Point blank period. 

Just now, Mantle said:

They either do or they don't. No inbetween. The phone goes on - they meta gamed the info. The phone doesn't go on - no meta game happened. That would be an actual situation however where clearly no joking is involved.

Joking would be more like:

"Yo bro you afk, aint answering your phone"

"Getting arrested, cant lol"

"rip lol, let me know where you're at and I'll come blast them"

If that situation above DOES NOT play out in game, nothing was meta gamed. As meta game, by definition, is the usage of out-of-character information for in-character gain. There is nothing to be gained if the ABOVE is never performed or even attempted to be performed in game. It is just a mere, joking conversation between two friends in a PERSONAL message.

Again wrong. From someone who roleplays longer than anyone else here I expected a better knowledge as to how metagame works. 

Metagame CAN be attempted. Did you not attempt to make him do something based on OOC information? Him being smart enough to ignore you trying to convince him to break rules does not mean you get out scoff free. 

That's like saying if you try to pay someone to commit a murder and he doesnt do it because he's an undercover cop you technically never paid someone to do the murder as the murder was never done. Also another lol at the attempt to disguise it as a joke.

"Hey Lan, I'm being attacked by Mongols right now. Wouldn't it be funny if you'd roll up on sixth street now and drive by them? hahaha" - yeah, obviously not an attempt at metagame. Just a joke. 

You can't be serious. And in the end - this is a private server hosted by Nervous. He has the house rule over this. He could ban you for disliking the amount of letters your name has and there is nothing you can do about it. Since you obviously display a dangerous interpretation of metagame that is only bound to lead to an attempt being successful, I wouldn't mind if he goes through with it. 

Also lol at trying to bring my background into this. "I speak english propably longer than any breathing organism ever has since the big bang" mate. 

The only discussable issue I see right now are you.

• Keane locked this topic